Nagios XI Overview

Nagios XI is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Server Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: Nagios XI vs Zabbix

What is Nagios XI?

Nagios XI provides monitoring of all mission-critical infrastructure components including applications, services, operating systems, network protocols, systems metrics, and network infrastructure. Hundreds of third-party addons provide for monitoring of virtually all in-house and external applications, services, and systems.

Nagios XI Buyer's Guide

Download the Nagios XI Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Nagios XI Customers

Nagios has over one million users globally, including AOL, DHL, McAfee, MCI, MTV, Yahoo!, Universal, Toshiba, Sony, Siemens, and JPMorgan Chase.

Nagios XI Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Analyst at Cablevisión Fibertel
Highly-efficient server performance monitoring engine

What is our primary use case?

For monitoring HFC network from the headend to end-of-line, mainly power supplies (transponders).

How has it helped my organization?

Integrating events and performance data between multi-vendor network elements and management systems.

What is most valuable?

All of them, but mainly:  Highly-efficient server performance monitoring engine Configuration wizards Infrastructure management Configuration snapshot.

What needs improvement?

Developing a tool for KPIs and KQIs WebUI should be improved (visual aspect) and should incorporate non-relational databases.

Director - Consultor Senior Unix/Linux - Freelance at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The product allows me to monitor a phone with address IP on a desk to very big servers of any company

What is our primary use case?

Actors: Administrators of datacenter and relationship: DataCenter, other actors, all the equipments on datacenters, servers, and applications.

• "I can monitor a phone on a desk to very big servers of any company."
  • "I can monitor a software made in-house to software of bigger companies."

What other advice do I have?

You will need an expert consultant for the best implementation.
    Learn what your peers think about Nagios XI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
    501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Distributed Systems Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    The BPI allows defining peripherals to map business criticality for efficient monitoring

• "BPI: It allows defining peripherals to map business criticality for efficient monitoring, as required."
    • "The product uses the backend as Perl and could be modified to a more lightweight solution like what's being offered by other vendors."

What other advice do I have?

Plan ahead based on your infrastructure and application as it would apply to all segments.
    System and Network Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    It helped me to draw the network and check for system failures

What is most valuable?

Network monitoring and topology: Network monitoring and topology are important for my job rules, because I'm a system and network administrator. I need to have information in real-time about the topology of the network and monitoring of the switches, routers, and servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Nagios XI helped me to draw the network and check for system failures.

What needs improvement?

The Configuration Wizard needs improvement, because not all vendors are present.

About 1 year.

DevOps Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We can maintain 24/7 monitoring, but scalability could be improved.

• "The ability to set up templates and groups of checks, as well as customize the checks themselves."
    • "Improve the documentation, examples, and best practices, therefore users can understand how to do things."

What other advice do I have?

It's generally good, but lacks documentation.
    Principal Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Saves us a lot of money and allows us to monitor anything we want

• "Since this is an open source technology, if we are capable of writing the plugins in any scripting language, this product allows us to monitor anything we want."
    • "Nagios XI can improve its GUI for users with a new look."

What other advice do I have?

Enjoy Nagios. No need of advice. This is very good product. Just use it and experience it. Nagios is the best monitoring tool that I have ever worked on. You will never like it if you compare it with other paid tools based on the graphical interface or any other features. Nagios is the best open source tool. We can create a plugin by ourselves and actually monitor whatever we want. Nagios XI is a Nagios, which is flavored with some features and we have to pay for it. If we use Nagios, we can build ourselves the Nagios XI feature on our own using the add-ons.
    System Administrator at a hospitality company
    Unlimited Insight Into Multiple Infrastructures And You Can Customize It With Basic Scripting Skills

• "You want to monitor a specific metric that nobody else has? You can do it even with the most basic of scripting skills, and you can always share it with the vast community of Nagios Exchange."
    • "The PNP4Nagios plugin not working easily with XI is an issue for me, because some open source monitoring plugins do not work out of the box. But in the end, you learn to live with it."

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared to put some time into it and research it appropriately. If there is an option for consulting services through the support channel, don't be afraid to use it.
    Technology Innovator and Entrepreneur at a tech services company
    The Administrative GUI Provides Improved Configuration

• "Though I downplayed the administrative NCC GUI, this is by far the strongest aspect of the Nagios XI product."
    • "The product could be optimized to improve the administrative user experience via the Nagios Core Configuration (NCC) GUI module."

What other advice do I have?

As I stated above, I would recommend getting one of the Nagios “for Dummies” configuration books (Nagios: Building Enterprise-Grade Monitoring Infrastructures for Systems and Networks (second edition)) and start with the free/open-source Nagios Core product. Once one gains a basic understanding of said solution they can then graduate up to the Nagios XI Enterprise product for a fraction of the cost of other pay-for network monitoring solutions. By taking this approach one learns the basic building blocks of the Nagios paradigm before being immersed in the Nagios XI Enterprise world. Like I…
    HD
    Nagios Technical Expert at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    The High Availability Feature Keeps Things Very Stable

• "The Script Module in Nagios is really easy to use and is really cost efficient."
    • "The reporting part should be made simpler. While we can obtain all the reports we need, we always have to create work-arounds to get them."

What other advice do I have?

The over all performance of the product is superb. Just keep in mind during implementation to keep the hardware strong, according to the environment you are monitoring and based on the check Nagios is going to perform.
    IT Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    Provides SMS and e-mail alerts.

What is most valuable?

Alerting with SMS and e-mail Monitoring services on hardware status

How has it helped my organization?

It improves the time to resolve incidents and administration of the system.

What needs improvement?

Improve the time to resolve incidents. Improve the KPIs for availability.

I have been using it since 2010.

There are stability issues if you have a large number of hosts and services.

There are scalability issues if you have a large number of hosts and services.

Customer Service: Customer service is good. Technical Support:…
    Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Only Monitoring Tool You will Need
    Why is OMD a Better Choice than Zabbix or Zenoss I spend about 3 weeks vetting through 20+ open source monitoring solutions and at the end of the process, the choices had boiled down to few major ones - OMD (best combination of open source plug-ins put together for Nagios), Zabbix, and Zenoss. The main components of OMD are Check_MK, PNP4Nagios, Nagvis, and of course Nagios. Among these projects, Check_MK is the core of OMD that makes Nagios easy to configure, easy to scale, and mashed together all the other popular Nagios plug-ins into one unified user interface. Thus the following comparisons are done using Check_MK as the keyword, but I will also cover how other plug-ins makes OMD project stand out from the competitions. Trend Check_MK vs Zabbix vs Zenoss Core Trend…
    Senior Systems / DevOps Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's easy to customize through scripts. The user interface needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

Plan ahead and take your time through staging the installation and take your time testing your customized scripts before doing the production installation.
    Storage System Integration R&D Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
    Overall, it's a powerful system. Business services monitoring is still really basic.

What other advice do I have?

First learn concepts, and think how the solution could be suitable for your specific needs. Overall, it's a powerful system.
    Senior Manager of Engineering at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The Reactor helped improved our script automation and self-response.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise that you create a lab with Nagios Core and test what you really need. Although it's exciting to use all the products, only a few are really important in your IT structure. When you are confident with scripting and MIBS integration, you can consider expanding it to your Enterprise systems with Nagios XI and some other modules. I would discourage you from using the ticketing system to start with and choose something more dedicated.
    Co-Founder / Executive Director / Chief Technical Officer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    We chose it because it was a flexible tool that happens to be open source and has the capability to provide a holistic view of all the systems configured on the network.

What other advice do I have?

Nagios XI is an outstanding network Monitoring tool, which can be tweaked to suit any environment and it is a good solution for business looking for remarkable features at zero cost.
    Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It has somewhat helped improved the workflow and technical processes with regards to response times. A better multi-tenant environment would be ideal.

What other advice do I have?

It gets the job done, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Make sure that you clearly identify which are the mission critical services and which aren't so as to avoid cluttering the dashboard and overwhelming IT staff with too much information.
    Solutions Architect at Blue Telecom Consulting
    Some kind of templating system for dashboards is needed. The Dashboards are easy to customize.

What other advice do I have?

Official support is a must have for working with this tool. If you want to cook it at home and face support on your own there are better alternatives with larger communities.
    Manager of Infrastructure at a university with 10,001+ employees
    It's helped us to improve our incident management, problem management, and capacity management.

What other advice do I have?

Implementation is best done by people with a good general Linux/open source skill set. If you have these kinds of people then implementing Nagios should be fairly straightforward. If you have a bunch of Window admins who've never touched a Linux system, then implementation could be a challenge.
    Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    It helps you get the best optimization in a non-local datacenters, or remote servers on subnetworks.

What other advice do I have?

Nagios is the best software of its kind if you have time for configure any host and network, and you can do quite everything with a bit of scripting. It is well documented, scalable and modular, as well as being good for a small business and for an enterprise environment. Take your time to study the product and test the agents first; be very careful on the traffic generated by agents and server-to-server communication.
    Manager - Cybersecurity Technology, Cybersecurity Technology Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    I can track systems behavior and network failures.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity of configuration. I can set up configuration of 100 devices with about 10 services in one to two days.

How has it helped my organization?

I can track systems behavior and network failures.

What needs improvement?

It's in need of more standard plug-ins.

I've used it for around 12 years

We had no deployment issues.

The product is quite stable, and we've had no issues.

There's been no issues with scaling it for our needs.

Customer Service: I'm not using any customer service.…
    Manager Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Our infrastructure is now under monitoring proactively and we don't have to wait for complaints from the customers/internal operation team.

What other advice do I have?

First you need to do a complete analysis of the nodes and your requirements before implementing Nagios for monitoring.
    Software Test Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    The monitoring and notification when an issue arises are the most valuable features.

Valuable Features

The monitoring and notification when an issue arises.

Improvements to My Organization

It was essential we had to have live monitoring as we were trial-ing a real-time communications application on a live site.

Room for Improvement

While the UI is functional, I have always thought there was room for improvement here. It is at times assumptive for the not so technical, rather than informative.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for 12 to 18 months. Presently I work as a software test engineer and my employer has been using Nagios for approximately ten years now. I first used Nagios in January 2014. I was in a small startup company based in the TSSG called Kodacall, it was based around WebRTC. I implemented in order that we could monitor our network as we had…
    Network Engineer at TLCWEB S.R.L.
    I've implemented a monitoring system Nagios-based to alert me when something bad happens.

What other advice do I have?

The only advice is to be patient and creative because you can control everything you can need with Nagios.
    Web Operations Engineer at a renewables & environment company with 501-1,000 employees
    It's nice that you can rudimentary monitoring primarily for Linux systems right out of the box.​​​ Scaling Nagios to cover multiple regions or data-centers is challenging.

What other advice do I have?

Find a site where Nagios working and look at their implementation. Understand the file structure, dependencies and implementation. Start with the basics and add as needed. Identify what needs to be monitored and why. Also, Nagios does not do trending/graphing well. I used the Nagios version of MRTG and it was pretty awful. I incorporated Cacti which partners well with Nagios. Without both tools you don't have a good understanding of how your operation is functioning.
    Consultant Ingénieur de production informatique at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Correct and scalable Dashboards for management. There are no APIs for managing hosts/services are present.

What other advice do I have?

Your architecture must be conceived prior to implementation as each error must become complex to change.
    Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Top ReviewerTop 20
    Open Source Network Monitoring Tool

What other advice do I have?

Alternatives Vendors: Zabbix, Opennms, Zenoos, Cacti !!
    NOC Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    It provides basic and complex monitoring of our environment as well as application-level monitoring, but notes can only be managed through the database.
    IT Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    What is Nagios: An Introduction to enterprise level server monitoring
    Any internet based service company like for example web hosting, DNS hosting, Email-hosting, Cloud architectures, and even CDN networks have server's ranging from several hundreds to thousands. There might be different roles that are played by different servers that are geographically isolated from each other. As a whole these geographically separated servers might be providing a combined service to the end customer. A particular issue or problem on any of the server should not affect the customer service, and must be found and fixed before the outage happens. Let's take two examples which will explain the need for a 24 x 7 monitoring of these servers. Suppose that you get a call from your technical support team saying that several customers are complaining about…
    IT Administrator at a media company with 10,001+ employees
    Nagios for IT Infrastructure Monitoring
    I managed a web design and hosting company several years ago. When we began to experience the first of many growth spurts, we were adding servers to our infrastructure at a rate of one to three servers per quarter. Knowing the details about what was happening on all of those servers, as well as the applications and infrastructure in general, quickly became my primary concern and responsibility. I consulted with the Datacenter staff and other hosting professionals regarding server monitoring, and the application most recommended was Nagios. But along with the recommendation, came the warnings that Nagios might be a pain in the ass to setup and maintain. Back then, when Nagios was in its infancy, the warnings were quite appropriate! But the flexibility that it…
    CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It does exactly what we need: Alert us when something is wrong
    We use Nagios because it does exactly what we need: Alert us when something is wrong and (with PNP) show some trend to figure out when or maybe how the problem started. The graphical output is for sure not state of the art, but we are not artists but rather techs ;) As a hosting business we have quite a homogenous infrastructure and use mostly snmp for fetching data in our own scripts. Once the basic setup for Nagios is done it is quite easy to automatically script new hosts when you add new machines or delete the old ones. However your choice might be different if you have to monitor IT of various customers with totally different infrastructure. And finally there are apps for android, iPhone, etc so with just one look at your phone you see if everything is well.
    Systems Administrator at a cloud provider with 501-1,000 employees
    I've used both Nagios and SolarWinds- different enviorments have different preferences
    I've used both Nagios and SolarWinds, although I haven't messed with nagios as much as solarwinds. Solarwinds had some nice features for monitoring and I learned a lot about it in the short time that I actually worked with it. Nagios just seems to work and when a server is down, I investigate. Solarwinds seemed to have more issues but that could have been because it was running on a server 2003 box and possibly old hardware where as the company I'm working at now runs nagios on a linux box with some decent hardware. Again, I haven't delved deep into Nagios and it's possible that what I'm looking at is just a webpage front end to nagios that not everybody uses but it's still pretty nice regardless. Not sure if different environments have different prefferences but the…
    Senior Manager of Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The best monitoring system for any small/medium size network

What other advice do I have?

If you are new to Nagios I recommend that you watch videos/read documentation before you start to mess around with the code. One little mistake can stop Nagios from monitoring your systems, so make sure that you always backup your configuration!