NetSuite ERP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetSuite ERP is #1 ranked solution in top Billing Software, #1 ranked solution in top Cloud ERP tools, and #4 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software. IT Central Station users give NetSuite ERP an average rating of 8 out of 10. NetSuite ERP is most commonly compared to Oracle ERP Cloud:NetSuite ERP vs Oracle ERP Cloud. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 36% of all views.
What is NetSuite ERP?
Global ERP NetSuite OneWorld Allows Companies to Manage Back Office Operations Globally AND Locally. NetSuite OneWorld addresses the complex multi-national and multi-company needs of mid-market organizations. Enable businesses to adjust for currency, taxation and legal compliance differences at the local level, with regional and global business consolidation and roll-up. Get unprecedented visibility of your business worldwide in real time, ensuring consistent, compliant management across the organization, locally and globally. NetSuite OneWorld can populate a single charts-of-accounts across subsidiaries, or use separate charts-of-accounts for each company with postings between subsidiaries such as expense allocation managed via inter-company journals. Local taxes are readily handled across subsidiaries with an embedded tax engine that allows for multiple tax schedules for everything from GST, to VAT, to consumption tax or general sales tax. Revenue recognition, local financial reporting and compliance are also built-in components. And OneWorld allows for global order management and sourcing with the ability to manage inventory and fulfillment across multiple locations with product items represented globally or on a per subsidiary basis.
NetSuite ERP Buyer's Guide

Download the NetSuite ERP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

NetSuite ERP Customers
2Pure, Accuvant, Actian, Adtegrity, Advantage Sign Supply, All-Safe Pool Safety Products, Alton Lane, AMC Liquidators
NetSuite ERP Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetSuite ERP pricing:
  • "When people buy ERP, it's a competitive situation and the pricing is paramount."
  • "It is completely on a subscription basis. We pay yearly and, and you do not have to do anything on a monthly basis. Prices depend on the organization's scale and all those things, but they are doing a good job with the pricing."
  • "There is an annual license required to use this solution."
  • "The price of the solution is quite high."

NetSuite ERP Reviews

Gene Hammons
Director at ProfitFromERP
Carries a broad range of applications, specifically in the field services area

• "The most valuable feature is that it works according to how the Internet works."
  • "What needs to be improved is the development in the other areas and other businesses that can use NetSuite."

What is our primary use case?

NetSuite ERP has been exploding in all kinds of young and up-and-coming businesses using manufacturing. We pioneered some use in pharmaceutical manufacturing; we've seen it in general business. A lot of our e-commerce companies are using the NetSuite platform — a lot of startups. Five of every eight companies that went out for IPO two years ago were NetSuite customers. It's very big in the startup community in California. A lot of newer tech companies are using it, but a lot of standard older traditional companies have begun using it, too. Over the last year, we've done some furniture distributors, we've done nutraceutical manufacturing, we've done companies that import and build electric scooters and leisure products like bicycles, etc. We've seen it in financial groups, as well.

In short, it carries a broad range of applications, specifically in the field services area. We've seen some construction companies move into it. We've got a group that does large AV installations. They will do a theater or an auditorium or a stadium; they handle all of the server-based audio-visual signal processing and large screens and large speaker systems for public consumption, etc. They'll have these million-dollar projects that they put together in their facilities, in a manufacturing type environment test, and then do all of the engineering there, and then they will send crews all over the world to implement these. That's kind of the field service part.

I worked with some of the largest NetSuite resellers in the world — they're partners of mine. We're affiliated and we use each other's services, but we're not financially tied. We see everything, including startups, that maybe pre-revenue, started to use NetSuite. They know when they go out to raise funds that the investors look at that and say, "Hey, these guys have really got their financial house in order. We feel good trusting you guys". What Oracle does, is they say that, from zero to $250 million a year, we approach them with NetSuite over $250 million a year. We'd like them to be looking at Oracle fusion.

However, with our partners, we go into $500 million and $700 million companies. We put in NetSuite plus. We may be doing a variety of products in that type of setting, but NetSuite is the core product there, and they're very successful with it. The thing about made-for-cloud software is that NetSuite was released in 1992, and a lot of the development took place in the '92 to '96 era. We were beginning to change the way we did software. This is when iPhone started coming out, etc. The name NetSuite refers to the fact that you have a network suite of products that you can use. There are apps in the NetSuite Suite cloud app store that companies can buy. This is very difficult to explain to new users because using multiple pieces of software has always been a nightmare.

It's been problematic. You have different products giving you different versions of the truth. You've got problems keeping them tied in together and integrated. You've got different release schedules, you've got customization. It's just been a nightmare and everybody has a bad view of that. What I tell my clients is, "How many of you guys have a phone in your pocket?" I'll say, "Do you like the customizations on your phone?" They'll reply, "What are you talking about? There's no customization on my phone". I'll respond, "Every one of those apps is a customization". They'll fire back, "No, it's not, it's on the phone". That's exactly how NetSuite approaches the suites of products. They open their technology app, they allow outside developers to develop functionality. They test, approve, and do quality control before release. When you buy one of these apps and there's an app for field services that fits in, plus services, it's so different. It's really hard for any product to fit everything in.

You look at this particular app and if it fits, you licensed the app, and it's just another tab inside your NetSuite system. You can't tell that you're in another product. The screens look the same, the integration is already taken care of on the backend. You don't have to deal with any of that. One time, Adaptive Insights was sold as a NetSuite advanced financials package. People did not know it was not NetSuite advanced financials. All they knew was, that their FPNA reports were on one tab, and their regular basic reports are in another reporting area. That being the case, we have gone into situations where people were (this was before the merger) paying $1,000,000 a year in maintenance charges to a tier-one software group. We were able to duplicate the functionality and improve it in several areas.

I'm not saying it was as good and in every area, but in several areas, key areas, it worked much better. We were able to implement NetSuite and the apps and the integrations for under $500,000 for the entire new system. That was a net savings of $500,000 a year. It was more modern technology, it was working better for them. Plus, they didn't need a team of three, tier-one experts on staff to manage the system. There were some huge losses there for a large organization. What I'm talking about is one of the more difficult concepts for today's IT groups to understand, because frankly, they've been through nightmares of software modification and customization. It's been a bad idea and it hasn't worked out well, but those were products that were created back in the '80s and the early '90s.

Those are pre-internet era technologies that were proprietary. ERP vendors used to want to be proprietary because that way, nobody could copy their software. It was considered a security measure against somebody duplicating the discs and reselling them. Today, the Internet is the integration tool that you're using — what could be more open than that? Now, the idea is, let's open this up to everybody. Let's let everybody develop on it. That's, what's made Salesforce so strong, and that's what has made NetSuite so strong.

Through all of this, you have to remember that there were no cloud-based ERP systems. Everybody was terrified to put their financial data into this cloud thing everybody was talking about until NetSuite came along. Now, NetSuite has roughly 22,000 companies using it. Every single ERP vendor in the world now has a cloud version to try and compete with NetSuite. The problem is, if I call Salesforce today or NetSuite tomorrow and say, "Hey, I want to license this, here's my credit card". In 20 minutes, if there's a system provision for me ready to use, I'm ready to go.

How has it helped my organization?

We do a very in-depth financial analysis before we let our customers look at software. We had a smallish client-company — a $14 million company. They were looking at NetSuite and a couple of other products. We put together what we call our cost revenue model that shows how they can cut costs and how they can increase revenue using the new software. They were very amazed to learn that we projected that over three years, they'd save or make $7 million. This opened their eyes to the possibility of ERP and things of that sort. They took a look at our findings in our spreadsheets and our models and everything like that and took it all in.

I circled back three years later to find out if they followed the model. Did they follow our recommendations? Did they achieve the projected savings and see their revenue increase? As a matter of fact, they had not, they did not follow the model. They said, however, that this really opened their eyes regarding how they could use this software and how they could make it pay for itself. In fact, they had doubled the size of the company in three years. They'd gone from a $14 million company to a $30 million company. They were also in negotiations to do a couple of acquisitions in Japan and Australia that would make them a $60 million company the following year. In doubling the size of the company, they had added one new person to the finance office to help with that. Two weeks later, I was in another company that was using QuickBooks and they were about the same complexity and they were a $30 million company.

They had 13 people in their finance office. I said, "Why are you doing this?". It was because they needed that many people to manage the spreadsheets, to manage and understand where their inventory was, and to understand the operations that were going on out in the field — that type of thing. So, they implemented and they were able to, by attrition, cut down to 10 people in the finance office, and they converted three of them to outside analysts or department managers to go work in other functions like that. That was a big deal.

We had a charter school that was running off a Sage 300 system. The way they handled purchasing at all of their schools, was the school principal would maintain a spreadsheet and he would fill out purchase orders for things that they needed. Then they would upload the purchase order file to a SharePoint server and at headquarters, an alert would say a new file has been uploaded to SharePoint. One of the accounting clerks would download the file and type it into the Sage 300 system.

This created a dual purchasing system, where there was a purchase order number at the school. There was a purchase order number in the Sage system. They had to work around that and they had to reconcile that. We put them into cloud-based software. As we were going through the NetSuite implementation, I said, "Why are you maintaining two purchasing systems?" They said, "Well, we can't afford for every principal to become a user". So, I said, "There is a limited edition user license that allows you to do purchasing and you can buy them in blocks of five, for $99". So, they put all the principals on the system — many of them. They would later become full users because they were able to access data on their school's performance, etc.

Within 90 days into implementation, they were rolling out. They had two areas: some international schools and some US schools. As they were rolling out the international schools, 90 days into the implementation, I asked, "How's it going? What's happening?" They said everything was fantastic. They said, "What we used to do, was every time we added a new school, we added a new person in the accounting office". They said, "Now, with the principals putting in all their purchasing information, we have more accountants than we need". They acquired three schools just before going live, and they didn't have to hire three people. I said, "What are you paying those people?". They say, "Well, roughly $60,000 to $65,000 a year". That was $180,000 in savings within the first 90 days of using the product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it works according to how the Internet works. Companies are also able to use it for a variety of workflows and to get people that normally weren't involved in financials into using the system to coordinate all areas of the business. I know that sounds like a mouthful, but what we realized with NetSuite is that a lot of times, when we would be in situations where clients are looking at demos, they'll say, "Okay, we want to see how this works, show us a journal entry". Well, the journal entry is very similar to every other traditional ERP journal entry because they're accounting journals. But when it comes down to logging on and seeing the things that I need to take care of today, and when I improve something, it appears on somebody else's desktop. Being able to report, not only on financial matters but on business issues as well, opens up the product to a whole new level of people.

The statistics that Oracle likes to put out, show that NetSuite companies grow at five times the rate of the S&P 500. This is misleading because the types of companies that are interested in being efficient, moving forward, and being dynamic, are the types of companies that will select NetSuite in the first place. Yes, they have a much higher rate of growth than the average company out there, but I don't know that that's because they're using NetSuite or because that's the kind of company that would be attracted by something like NetSuite.

What needs improvement?

Evan Goldberg, the gentleman that created NetSuite, had worked at Oracle. Larry Ellison, the CEO of Oracle had provided seed money to start out and Larry actually owned a large part of the stock. NetSuite pioneered this whole system and two years ago, Oracle said we want to acquire you guys. Oracle was a little bit late to cloud computing and NetSuite offered them the ability to have a large cloud presence.

Oracle realized that NetSuite has been a huge success in The United States — it's been wonderful. But Oracle is a worldwide company. So they decided to take their development teams and development budgets and pushed into new countries and created new country versions and multicurrency versions. They also decided to move into new industries. So they started doing lots of development for NetSuite.

In the two years since Oracle re-acquired NetSuite, they took on Hyperion, which is one of the leading FP&A Solutions in the world. They created a NetSuite version of it. So, what needs to be improved? There's a lot of development in a lot of areas and a lot of markets that haven't been served.

One of the things that I did, was I had all of my clients going into NetSuite and they were loving it. Still, I also had a lot of pharmaceutical clients, pharmaceutical manufacturers that could not use cloud-based software because it was hard to validate. Not to mention, NetSuite puts out a new version every six months. What we thought were the validation protocols, would not allow us to do that.

For years and years, Pharma has been version-locked into the old system because they don't want to revalidate. Well, we found a way around that and we started moving into the pharmaceutical industry, aerospace, and defense. The security issues related to national security have stated that we can't use cloud software unless it's encrypted. But now the Department of Defense has started saying, "Hey, NetSuite is. We're not seeing security breaches into the data or anything like that".

There's a lot of areas like that, that NetSuite has to mature and grow into. What needs to be improved is the development in the other areas and other businesses that can use NetSuite, but it's rapidly coming about. Five years ago, certain companies, like Pharma specifically, would come and tell us they would like to use NetSuite. We'd have to tell them that we don't do that. Please search elsewhere. They would say, "But our CFO used to work in a company that has NetSuite. He thinks he can do it. He wants to do it". By pushing the market like that, NetSuite got into a lot of areas that they wouldn't have broken into previously, but people had used NetSuite before and they loved it. A lot of it's been driven by the market itself and the development is catching up.

I have been working in ERP since 1995. We saw NetSuite come on the scene around 2002. We did not see our clients adopting cloud-based software until after Salesforce was predominant around 2009 to 2010. We really saw the product begin to be used by many of our clients around 2014. Now, pretty much all we do is cloud-based software or ERP. We focus on the made-for-cloud products, but NetSuite accounts for probably 50% to 60% of those deals.

The growth is phenomenal. Pre-pandemic, they were advertising that they had 18,000 companies using it. The latest figure I saw was 22,000. They had a down year comparatively last year because NetSuite has been growing year over year at a rate of 30%. When I say a down year, that means I think they'd only grown by roughly 14%. So, the stability is there. The product is such a category killer. I mean, Oracle paid 9 billion to re-acquire NetSuite and one of its close competitors, Sage Intacct. Sage spent 700 million to acquire that company.

With Oracle standing behind it, it's very, very strong financially with the user groups — the user base that's now using it. It's very strong. One of the things that we're dealing with right now is that we get calls like, "I'm a new CFO at a company and I've used NetSuite before. I already know how to use it, just turn it on and let me use it".

There's more to the setup than that. It's not that quick. It's not that instant. You have to sit down and go over it with these guys and say, "Look, here's what went into using that system that you liked and you loved. There was a lot more behind the scenes that you didn't see in the last place you worked". Still, people move around from job to job and they remember how well NetSuite worked in a previous situation and that's what they want to go with in the future. I think that says more about it than anything else.

I believe in the forward-moving state of it. I worked in ERP for 20 some odd years. I've worked with Sage, Microsoft, Lawson, Infor, and Loharts, and many other companies — they're good products. Companies can be very successful using those products but it's just old-school technology.

I was always waiting for somebody to come out with ERP 2.0. I don't know if NetSuite is fully an ERP 2.0, but I do know that they've come closer to it than anybody else has. Everybody's trying to reach this level — it's just very stalled. People want cloud software, but the fact that it's on the cloud doesn't mean anything. What matters is, was this developed in 1995, or was it developed back in 1982 in a DOS version, which we then ported to a Windows version, which we then ported to a client-server version, which we then ported to another version? Now, we've taken this whole spaghetti mess of code and thrown it up onto the cloud.

So many of these products, you look at them and they look like windows XP. People are no longer willing to use a system that has such old clunky technology because they're used to everything else in their life working easily on their computer and having it integrated. They're used to the iPhone being able to do things that it was never designed to do because it's got an app on it. It's just so much different. So, will NetSuite have actual competitors? I think there will be companies that do develop new technology and stuff like that. It takes years to catch up in the ERP world, but there will be people that do modern development and that will eventually emerge as competitors to NetSuite. Intacct and Acumatica are two of the ones that are closer than anybody else, and those are good products. We'll use those guys in a lot of different ways. A lot of our clients like those.

There are situations where a company will move out of NetSuite into tier-one when they're a $2 billion company or something. The fact that you can afford tier-one products at $2 billion is a completely different situation than trying to afford that when you're a $400 million symphony. The product scales well into hundreds of users. There are situations where you're going to find you need this tier-one customization, etc. Still, that's not for years and by that time, you'll be able to afford that.

One of the things I like is that when I get a new client, there are so many videos and training opportunities. I try to have my clients trained before the consultants show up. I like the way that they support that. Some people like the direct implementation teams. Some are really good, some are average. We really focus on getting the right implementation partner for our clients; somebody that has industry-specific, experience. But that aside, the support is really good. It's 24/7 and people like that. We don't hear our clients complaining about that.

There are thousands of differences between NetSuite and other ERP solutions. With NetSuite, anytime you see a page of data, you can export it to Excel. Not only can you export it to Excel, but what comes across are the values and the formulas. If you have a column that's adding up for example, what you sold the product for minus the cost of goods sold, this equals your net value. What you get in the spreadsheet is that same formula referring to those same figures right there and it's a huge time saver for people.

Now, traditional ERP has gotten better at some of their tables; you're now able to export to Excel with some of them. But when you come across it, it's just a flat value and things like that. These accountants that work in spreadsheets all day long love this. You can change your spreadsheet and you can create it so it uploads into NetSuite and you can have a spreadsheet-type system that feeds in and puts data into your system, as well as taking it out. That's a huge difference.

There are things like being able to create very simple screens, being able to have a customer. We're sharing a warehouse with one of our providers or we've got a product at a co-packer or someplace where we're taking our product for labeling and putting it in cases — we put them on the NetSuite system. They only see the things that they need to see. But now I know when my partner is running out of labels to put on my bottles and I can put that information into my MRP and I can have a purchase order and drop-ship to them in time for them to have labels for the next manufacturing run.

All of these things tie in together in customer portals. It's great to be able to call a company and try to get somebody on the phone, but if I can look up which invoices I've paid for and understand which ones they've applied it to and everything like that, I'm so much closer to the answer than if I am trying to get somebody on the phone. That's just another way customer service improves everything — when I can give you a portal of exactly what's going on between the two of us.

Those are the kinds of things that really seem to help. Most companies have never had that capability. They've never used it, they don't understand that this is great. Instead of having 50 people call me on the phone today, now I've got three phone calls. How much more work am I going to get done all day? My customers are much happier now. They like working with me because they can find this out rather than buying that from somebody else. Again, I'm sticking with these guys. They're so easy to use.

When you contact a traditional ERP provider it takes them weeks and weeks to configure. We used to buy servers and have them sent to the ERP companies so that they could configure the servers. Then they would ship the servers to the client. This would take weeks. An ERP implementation would take nine months to a year. NetSuite is ready to go tomorrow and you can go through the configuration with your consultants and have it up and running in 90 days.

It's so much easier than it used to be; however, now you turn around and you look at Microsoft's Business Central. They've come out with a cloud version and NetSuite sells for so much less because you don't have a nine-month implementation process. Those implementations, the consultants are now charging $225 to $300 an hour for nine months. So Microsoft comes out with Business Central which they say is cloud-based.

They've only taken the old software and thrown it up onto the cloud. So you still need a nine-month implementation to be able to use Microsoft Business Central. You've still got that huge cost involved with it, and you still have that huge timeframe involved with it. NetSuite started this whole thing but they're doing it differently. You've got all these imitators, but they cannot quite keep up with what they're doing.

We're just scratching the surface of understanding the difference with this approach. We've got so many clients and so many companies that have moved on to this. Yes, we invite the other ERP companies to show their software, but when people get down to it, NetSuite wins nine out of 10 times against traditional software.

NetSuite has developed new approaches to the market in the last few years. When people buy ERP, it's a competitive situation and the pricing is paramount. People don't want to spend a lot of money upfront on that type of thing — as if we blame them. What NetSuite has gone to, is something called the finances first approach. It says, let's come in. Let's have a small footprint in the organization. We can get a company up and running on the core financials and use it in the business office for about $50,000, which compared to a lot of ERP systems, is very low cost.

From there, we start to stair-step the project up to increase the functionality that they're using and increase departments that are on the system. What happens is, when people start using the system, they start understanding the system. They began to learn how to roll out these other functions with their own internal people.

They learn to adopt the tool, they understand how it works. Now, you're not saying, "We need this new $30,000 module. It's going to be $100,000 in consulting hours to implement it". It's more like, "We need this $30,000 module, and we may spend $10,000 on outside consultants to help us do it ourselves". That type of thing. There are two things that happen. One, you get instant success because you've got the system up and running and people are beginning to adopt it. They like it, it's successful, it's a valuable tool. That's the first win. The second win is if you get to grow the system. Now that you're using it, you understand it. This is how it's going to be easier for these people to do their jobs. This is how we can put efficiency into our inventory area, or we can put efficiency into our supply chain group, or we can help out our field service reps with information on an iPad.

This is how we're going to do that — it helps people. Instead of this instant digital transformation, it's this continual rollout of better and better technology. When they see the results that a client likes, the service levels better, it makes a lot more sense. It's so much easier than this big, huge two-year implementation that some of these software providers come at the client with.

That's a hard decision for any company to make. "We're going to be doing this, and we're not totally sure that it's going to work for us. But what if our people don't like using it; aren't there are a lot of things that could go wrong?" Then they just sit there with paralysis by analysis. When they can sit there and say, "Okay, we can start this, this NetSuite rollout. We can get the accounting office on it. We'll be up and running in 90 days, we're going to have better reports. We're going to have better financials. We're going to have all this stuff, we're going to have all these instant wins. How do we get 10% more out of the sales this year? How do we get drive costs down next year?" You've got all of these projects that you can expand your company on moving forward.

What other advice do I have?

Our number one piece of advice is to understand the business case and to understand what you're looking at. If you're looking at putting in an updated ERP system — that's good, that's new software. Everybody likes new technology. That's great. If you're looking at saving $7 million over three years, that's a completely different project. Now, if we know that this is what's possible, and we can see that we're going to get there, what makes up that $7 million? It's $30,000 in savings in this department, $70,000 in that department, all of that. If we, understand that on a deep level, we've got people, we can get them to buy-in. We don't want you to just look at this project because it's an extra work thing. We're going after a $7 million goal, we need you, we need your talent on this project.

It changes everything. That's the most important thing. You need to understand how the technology is going to save you or make you more money. That is when you can put the right amount of resources into the right parts of the product. If you're going after inventory savings, how are we going to use NetSuite to do this? What other products are out there that tie into NetSuite that are going to help us? We spent another $50,000 on scan guns to make it that much quicker, that whole business case answers all of those questions. That's always our first step — to understand that. That will tell you that, yes, NetSuite is the right product for me. Or, maybe we need to go after something else that does warehousing a little bit better than NetSuite.

Understand, everybody has capabilities, but certain businesses, their idea of warehousing is similar to Super Store Industries — they used to work there. These guys had 200 trucks coming in and out of a California warehouse every day. That's different than four shipments that add my five-day loading dock. Warehousing to them means a whole different thing. We need to understand that on a level of what exactly are we talking about here? How much are we spending the way we're doing it now? And what's it going to save us when we get it done?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give NetSuite a rating of eight — there is a reason why they're doing so well.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Independent Consultant
DB
Managing Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Highly customizable, no infrastructure needed, and very scalable

• "I would say that the solution is highly configurable."
  • "In terms of the main improvement to NetSuite is the talent itself. It's grown so fast and there are about 25,000 companies running on it, and it's a relatively newer system compared to other competitors. It's growing so fast that the talent base in the partner organization (there's about 200 of them), is pretty thin."

What is our primary use case?

I have multiple pharmaceutical distributions. I'm currently doing two projects with companies that are what are called stevedoring companies. They're companies that load and unload these massive vessel ships that come into the ports all over the world. Containers and cruisers and things of that nature. I've also done a large 3PL shipping company. I've done a couple of manufacturing companies. I've done a couple of manufacturer distributor companies. It's a very versatile system. It can be used for a variety of businesses.

What is most valuable?

It's less about functionality today. Although the functionality is there, most systems are pretty competitive on things like financials. At that level, what makes a solution competitive is the architecture, and NetSuite has the most advanced system architecture in the market today. It was built for the cloud. It's a true cloud application. It's truly, purely web-based.

There's no infrastructure required. It's fast licensed, it's multi-tenant for releases.

I would say that the solution is highly configurable.

The solution's data structure is very referential. You can easily customize new data in the system. It's a system that's built for enormous flexibility and customization.

The system itself, the reporting dashboards, integration, API, workflows, all that stuff's strong in NetSuite. The functionality is strong.

They've got people working deeply on it. They spend incredible amounts of money on R&D and their releases are very robust and they just keep moving forward with more.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement in every system.  It's going to have some functional verticals that just aren't as competitive in the app, due to the fact that there are older systems that have been built for 20 years that are deep. For example, in manufacturing, there's something called process manufacturing, versus discrete manufacturing. There's a couple of systems that'll beat NetSuite on process manufacturing.

There's a lot of bodies. There's a lot of kids there. I call them the kids because they're people in their twenties, maybe in their thirties. If you're under 40, you are still a kid to me. What it boils down to is that I've been doing assessments for 40 years. I have five grown sons between the age of 30 and 44. Not a single one of them, if they worked around the clock for the rest of their lives, could catch up with me on experience, because in today's market people get pigeonholed and specialized. They don't get a broad experience. People aren't building systems anymore, so you don't have that depth. What it boils down to is most of these people working in these ERP projects, in all the systems, are truly not systems people.

They're actually people that just know how to push buttons and settings and workflows and reports, and spit things out. They know how to configure a system, however, they don't really know much about how it would actually do what it does, or how it's built. Therefore, the weakness in that is that when you get into business models that require some real custom configuration, they don't really know how to do that.

In today's market, young people aren't learning how to really learn a business. What's happening is a lot of systems focused work without first understanding the business that they're actually serving. That's prevalent in the NetSuite world and these newer systems, due to the fact that they've basically been staffed with and around young people who really don't have a lot of business experience. They may know a lot about that application, that system, but then not really know very much about the business. Business experience is an issue in this market today.

We've worked on multiple systems, however, I've probably been engaging with NetSuite to some extent for the last seven years.

The solution is highly reliable. I've got a client who's been running for four and a half years flawlessly, with no outages, no errors, no failings. Of course, part of that is the architecture and the system. Part of it is we did a world-class job of implementing it. However, the bottom line is you can really mess up a system if you don't know what you're doing. That said, NetSuite itself is a highly reliable system.

Scalability is pretty good. It's targeted. Oracle has its Oracle cloud product and some other junk products in between, but the two flagship products are Oracle Cloud (for tier one companies, over a billion dollars in revenue)m and then NetSuite, which is targeted for the half a billion-dollar or maybe up to billion-dollar revenue. We have four companies with over a billion dollars in revenue on NetSuite.

Up to that point, it's really very scalable. Even after that point, it's really not a matter of the system not being scalable. It's more the server and the data centers that they've sort of configured for that. You've got 25,000 companies, and 90 plus percent of them are probably in the hundred to $500 million range of revenue. Revenue is not always a good indicator, because some companies, like the company I'm in right now, is a half a billion-dollar revenue company. However, they function more like a hundred million dollar company because the invoicing they do is very large and very complex invoicing, but large-dollar transactions.

So they'll do a $25-$50,000 invoice as well. That rolls up to half a billion pretty fast. That said, the volumes aren't really there. They don't have any more volume than a retail business, or a distribution business might have with a tenth their size. You can't use revenues and bills as a total indicator every time.

I would say NetSuite would struggle to scale beyond a billion dollars if it were a retail business. That's just in terms of how it's built. It's built for the mid-market, and some limitations are there that you wouldn't hit then until you get to a billion. It's still a great system and there is a provision for buying up to more tiered levels of processing capacity. That way, very large companies can run on NetSuite.

Technical support is very weak. That's because, once again, they've hired a bunch of kids. They've got kids behind the scenes doing the work and they don't necessarily retain much deep talent on the inside at NetSuite.

They mostly have a great software development group, however, their support group tends to be very young people who basically don't know much. They know the system, again, however they don't necessarily know how to interact with the business.

The best way to get systems support is really from the network of qualified partners. That's where the talent goes and that's where the money is. That's where people can make the most money. Whenever any of these people get any talent, they tend to jump ship from NetSuite and go out to work for one of the partner companies.

Everything's complex today. It's all complex. Any system is complex. However, NetSuite's setup, what makes it easier, is there's not a lot of complexity in the actual customization. That's easier. Any system, even Microsoft's Dynamics, is going to take 30% or 40% more labor to do the same things.

NetSuite's highly configurable and it's also very structured for settings, presetting, roles, permissions, personalization, etc. If the partner that's selected is skilled, if they know the system, then the configuration works actually in a pretty straightforward manner.

There may be a lot of variabilities or a lot of complexity, mainly because clients are complex. Nobody does things the same way. If they did, they'd run out of business pretty quick due to the fact that you always have to have something that differentiates you from your competitor. All those differentiations have to be thought of and incorporated into the implementation.

Licensing costs are all over the place. It really depends a lot on the business model. How many seats, what modules they're getting, and what kind of discount you can negotiate all will adjust the cost structure in different ways.

The discounting can range, depending on what's compelling to that model. For example, I bought these two stevedoring companies and they're old companies, they're longshoremen. They've been doing longshoremen work since clipper ships. The systems tend to be old. Nobody had ever really put a stevedoring company on NetSuite before. When I went to NetSuite to negotiate for them, I was able to get okay pricing. There's a pretty broad opportunity if we get one or two of these done. NetSuite was willing to get me a very deep discount in that case. It depends on the deal. The numbers are all over the place.

What other advice do I have?

We're not a reseller, we're a selection company. We represent the client.

The inherent weakness where you might be disappointed is not functional, because functionality can be built out. It's like buying new furniture in a house. The house is a big cost, the furniture you just need more of. More functionality can be built out readily if the architecture is good. NetSuite's architecture is so phenomenal that you can almost not even imagine. I have one subsystem that my client has, but it's an old premise-based proprietary application that no one else has. It's unique to their business, but it's about ready to fall over. I looked at it and we're going to build it into NetSuite, because NetSuite is capable of absorbing more functionality. So, it's really about architecture. And architecture and NetSuite, I couldn't even imagine what it's going to ask for there. It's really very good.

Ironically, NetSuite's kind of killing our business, because if you're doing mid market, it's going to be NetSuite or Microsoft dynamics. Everything else is not really worth the attention. Where we do selection work we don't get shared revenue. We don't get kickbacks or anything from anything we do. Our work is to help companies pick the right solution, pick the right partner, and get the implementation done. Our work has shifted much more to helping oversee the projects. We do a business assessment work, we do system selection work, we do solution, basically formulating the solution for the client. Then we negotiate for the right licensing, the right contracts, service agreements and we oversee it.

We're like a general contractor for a commercial building. What's happening is that the clients no longer have people like us inside. Basically, systems have become commoditized over the last 20 years to the point where if they've got insight IT people they're really server people. Servers, networks, virus, security, phone systems. These people don't know anything about applications.

In NetSuite's environment, there's no versioning. It's actually a release strategy. It is in the cloud, so it's multi-tenant and the releases come in and go. Obviously, they have some release numbers on each of them, however, the client really doesn't have to worry about that.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Enterprise Consultant
Learn what your peers think about NetSuite ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RobertWolf
President & Chief Solution Officer at CREIS
Good scalability, a nice user interface, and helpful technical support

• "The user interface is very good."
  • "Some of the features around the payroll and payroll taxes and management of that are lacking. We had to outsource some of that because we found that the functionality isn't there."

What is our primary use case?

The client's use cases really revolve around core financial and accounting tasks such as ARAPGL cash management and things of that nature as well as some supply chain. Inventory management at a rolled-up level. They had a separate system for their core product inventory life cycle management, however, this was from the financial aspect and vendor integration and purchasing side of supply chain and billing management was going to be done through the NetSuite implementation.

Due to the fact that they had more on their wishlist, we were going to get into some commerce stuff, however, we backlogged that. CRM is what they're actually going to start on next year. We backlogged that as well. I'm all about focusing. I'm really about accounting. The initial high-level inventory management is the core thing we deployed as part of the first phase.

How has it helped my organization?

The client saw a lot of elimination of manual steps that they were doing in their old system. The acceptance of a lot of best practices made even just basic monthly closing a lot simpler and a lot quicker. They went from taking almost three and a half weeks to do a monthly close to five to seven business days.

That time savings alone, there's cost value there from a human resource standpoint.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good. That is extremely important when you're making and implementing change. A good, intuitive user interface and good documentation from a standpoint for training and support is super-important. The accounting functions are pretty basic and this was pretty standard.

While more customization on the cloud would be nice, it forced years of bad practices that were exceptions or custom ways of doing things.

The solution lends itself to scalability.

There's good integration with other products.

It's perfect for a company that is growing, that's still on the border of small to midsize. It fits perfectly from a cost and functionality perspective of them trying to get to standard practices that allows them to grow efficiently. They can take on a new business without adding people.

What needs improvement?

The cloud version lacked the flexibility for some customization. That would've been nice, however, it also then forced us to get out of some bad practices. It really helps you, actually, as it's not as necessarily flexible in terms of customizations, at least the version we worked with. They were working towards improving it.

Some of the features around the payroll and payroll taxes and management of that are lacking. We had to outsource some of that because we found that the functionality isn't there. This has been one of the bugaboos in that product. If the company grows into a lot more markets in terms of the business states and regions, they would need to look at maybe an alternate product for the sales tax and use tax compliance, as that area has gotten more complex in the last few years with the change in laws. NetSuite is well-suited for that.

I've been using the solution for over 15 years at this point.

The solution is pretty stable. It's a tried and true product. It's going to the cloud that's different. By the time we went live, we were two releases behind the current release and so we didn't really have to worry about bugs. It was more stable at that point. At the same time, we were sandboxing with a newer version. I got the client on a cadence to catch up at least one version or stay one version behind the current. They've gotten better at responding quickly to critical bug fixes as well. Oracle may have just had some resource constraints or focus constraints on how they were responding.

At the time of deployment, they were going through a lot of technical issues with the Fusion product that was diverting resources off of NetSuite. Again, because they've got such a product suite, resources are sometimes very fixed or it's hard to scale up quickly and get the right people on board. I got the sense that they had teams focused across multiple products.

That said, stability-wise, it was pretty stable when we went live. Overall from a product standpoint, from a performance standpoint of the Oracle cloud, there was definitely some issues that they were experiencing. However, based on my regular contact with his client over the last eight, nine months, post-implementation, things have improved as Oracle was already on a path to upgrading their data centers.

With my prior client in 2018, I was involved in a lot of Oracle products at that time. Oracle had started down the path of pushing clients onto newer equipment, newer systems, and even transferring them into newer updated data centers. It doesn't happen overnight, however. They've been strategically doing that since late 17, all the way through this year.

Scalability is one of the areas of limitation, as it's not designed for the larger, more complex businesses or businesses that grow out of being a small regional player into a super-regional type of organization.

With the improvements in the cloud product it's possible to move to another Oracle product such as the Fusion more easily. In that respect, once you get a certain level or need certain functionality, the ability to move from a NetSuite to Oracle Fusion now is much easier to do from the cloud.

Our clients are mixed organizations. Most are in the mid to large size company. I'm talking in the hundred millions into billions. I've had quite a few clients that are four billion-plus.

Early on, the response was critical. There are those bugs or fixes that they'll get to that aren't impacting your businesses versus extremely critical bugs. Fields won't accept the value that needs to accept the value, or it's not calculating something correctly that's very obvious, for example. Responding to critical bugs was the initial problem. We felt it was putting clients at risk due to the fact that there wasn't a workaround. We were worried about going live with these particular bugs. Fortunately, they were able to resolve them.

I was able to escalate it enough and had enough connection, a good rapport with the Oracle leadership, for what we needed to do, that they acknowledged, "Our resources were pulled away on this. And we're getting somebody to specifically address these and look into it." And so they don't wait for the regular release packages. They made available a patch that we could deploy. They had them deploy it into the Oracle cloud. That's the other thing - you're directly engaged when Oracle manages your service in their cloud. Their team can deploy it whenever you say go. And so, because we were still in the test environment, we could get that in, and retest things. It was later than we liked, however, it still allowed us to go live. We were able to get it in and test it before we went live.

Overall, I'd say we are mostly satisfied with the level of support we receive and I would rate it eight out of ten.

While we looked at other solutions, we didn't deploy any others with this particular client.

The initial setup has improved. Concerning what I know about it from 15 years ago to now, it's fairly straightforward. It's a lot more streamlined. There are not as many customizations you can do. You can create a few fields and add things here and there, however, when it comes to really create custom processes it forces you to use workflows and things like that. It's simpler in that it provides a lot more visibility to the business of how their processes work.

What other advice do I have?

I've had multiple engagements involving NetSuite as it is a good sweet spot system for mid-level size enterprises. I don't recommend it for large-scale enterprises. It's also too much sometimes for small companies. It's a great sweet spot, like I said, for mid-level companies. A lot of companies have been on it and sometimes they make good candidates as people who don't feel comfortable with some of the extra bells and whistles. It's a good, basic, fundamental ERP accounting supply planning system.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using right now. I know it wasn't the latest as I'm not a fan of going right away to the latest and greatest typically due to the fact that there are some bugaboos that have to be worked on.

Companies want you to get on the latest system. However, another reason we don't choose the latest was once we went through a build and deployed a model with an 8 UAT, by the time we were ready to go live, they had already released another version. We held off due to the fact that we were comfortable with what we tested.

While we started using on-premises deployment models, we also now work with the cloud.

Oracle's done a good job, especially lately. I did a major Oracle project a few years ago where their cloud infrastructure was still a little slow performance-wise, compared to, hosting on Amazon or AWS. However, Oracle's really improved that. Especially in the last year, they've really upgraded their infrastructure center. The performance of NetSuite on the cloud is pretty good now. You can still get that on an on-prem type implementation or a cloud. My last deployment actually happened to be on the cloud. That's another reason we stayed with an early version, The client was still getting their feet wet with NetSuite in the cloud at the time.

I would advise others to be detailed in how they assess their needs to make sure that is the right fit for the company's size, not only for now but over the next five years. A company needs to ask itself: What are the business' growth plans? If you're shortsighted and go into it, where you're already at the top end of the capabilities, then you're losing your investment value. Also, it will be more time and effort to set it up, when you should really be picking either the next product up or a different vendor at the outset.

Overall, it's quite a good solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
VV
Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A stable ERP solution with a useful project management feature

• "The project management aspect and the timesheets are valuable, especially for ensuring that our milestone billings are automated properly. From a manufacturing perspective, it is more to do with the entire management of the inventory, the overall finance, consolidation of books of accounts, and managing the profit and loss in a more effective manner."
  • "There is a lot of room for improvement. Multiple manufacturing features need to be updated on NetSuite. More functionalities need to be added. I think there are a lot of functionalities coming out for warehouse management systems and manufacturing automation via advanced manufacturing functionalities. I think they need to improve a little more on those aspects and make it easier on the scheduling aspect."

What is our primary use case?

We have different verticals of business like manufacturing plants, software consulting, and development. We use both aspects of the things in one module of NetSuite, where we manage multiple subsidies. For manufacturing, we use work orders. We will use working process modules, and we automate the entire process of a production plan in that. Then we schedule those and have those things executed for our fulfillment and invoice the end customers.

In software, we manage it via the project plans, where we have the timesheets managed. We automate the process in that whereby we can generate the invoices from the projects themselves. We have automated the milestones and the time and material billing on NetSuite.

What is most valuable?

The project management aspect and the timesheets are valuable, especially for ensuring that our milestone billings are automated properly. From a manufacturing perspective, it is more to do with the entire management of the inventory, the overall finance, consolidation of books of accounts, and managing the profit and loss in a more effective manner.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of room for improvement. Multiple manufacturing features need to be updated on NetSuite. More functionalities need to be added. I think there are a lot of functionalities coming out for warehouse management systems and manufacturing automation via advanced manufacturing functionalities. I think they need to improve a little more on those aspects and make it easier on the scheduling aspect.

In the next release, I would like to see more planning functionalities for manufacturing. I think there are already a few planning functionalities coming out, but more is expected from NetSuite.

I have been using NetSuite ERP for six years.

I would say that it is definitely stable. In today's market scenario, stability-wise, if you see from the day they got into the market in 1998, they have been only improvising on the product or the product outputs, the upgrades and everything. It has been a smoother transformation, and they have a logical system where libraries are maintained properly.

The customer challenges are taken care of, and they can execute those things in a more automated manner. Whenever the version upgrades happen, those are seamless. We do not need to break our heads for those customization challenges and all that stuff.

It is scalable. Right now, we have 15 users, but I think we are going to increase it because we were limiting it. Since we have automated the manufacturing inside NetSuite, we will probably be going up to 30 or 35 users.

Since we are also channel partners, we have the technical resources and the team. We manage that. Since we also have premium support, their availability for support is quite good. At times, certain functionalities have challenges, and they say, "no, this is a change that is going to come later," or something like that. But you will have to face it as not everything can be done overnight.

The initial setup is always very important. It is not as complicated as a few other applications, and it was easier to execute it. The complexity comes when multiple processes and multiple workflows need to be created for the automation to come in. To kickstart it quickly, it is much easier compared to other competitor products in the market.

It is completely on a subscription basis. We pay yearly and, and you do not have to do anything on a monthly basis. Prices depend on the organization's scale and all those things, but they are doing a good job with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend only one thing to new users. Go for the standard implementation and do not complicate it in the first phase. Have a clear approach to executing the implementation and make sure your team is well equipped and you are ready to implement the application. It will be quick from there if it is plain vanilla finance to start with and then add manufacturing and other things. You should be able to go live in 60 to 100 working days.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give NetSuite ERP an eight.

Antonio Lira
Territory Manager LATAM at It Business Edge
Intuitive and easy to use with a straightforward setup

• "It's integrated into everything well so you can navigate and use it in a very simple way."
  • "If you do go through an implementor, you need to be careful that they are actual implementors and not just resellers."

What is most valuable?

I became a real fan of NetSuite due to the fact that it's very easy to use and it's very easy to configure from the implementer side. When you're looking for an ERP solution, often it can be very difficult to configure and difficult to use, however, this is very easy. I'm pretty impressed. It sounds like a short or a small solution, and yet it's not.

The whole experience it's very easy. It's very intuitive. It's integrated into everything well so you can navigate and use it in a very simple way. The whole experience for the ERP is very fine. This ERP has no interface. It's completely integrated so you don't have to run any process from accounting to get all the numbers. Everything is detected online instantly.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

Most of the features that my customers deal with I get access to. I can't recall coming across any missing features. We haven't come across areas that are hard to understand or configure. It's all pretty straightforward.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches that we've dealt with. it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is very scalable. It's not an issue to expand it.

The technical support is very good. We've been very happy with the level of support we get. They are helpful and responsive.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's simple and straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

You have to be aware of the experience of the implementer before the initial setup even if it seems like it's easy to implement. There are some skills and there are very, very many new resellers that they are naming themselves implementers. My only advice is to be aware of the experience of the previous implementation on the NetSuite platform and be aware if these implementers also sell other solutions. I deal with some implementers that sell SAP as well and they sell Microsoft as well and these kinds of platforms need their own people due to the fact that it's not fixed.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

EM
Senior Consultant DatumRedsoft at Datum
Reseller
A stable ERP solution with a great user interface

• "The most valuable feature in NetSuite ERP is the user interface."
  • "It would be great if they offered localization for Central America."

What is our primary use case?

We use NetSuite ERP to order cash, general layer issues, compliance, financial statement generation, accounts payables, account receivables, and invoicing. We don't use it for inventory or annual fiscal requirements, just general use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in NetSuite ERP is the user interface. Next, it's the corporation facility, user experience, and ease of configuration. We are impressed with this solution.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if they offered localization for Central America. It'll help us create local taxes, local fiscal requirements, and local reporting issues easily.

I have used NetSuite ERP for about two years.

The stability is great. It's impressive, and the response time is also great.

Scalability is automatic and great. We don't have any complaints regarding the scalability and response time.

The initial setup was easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise people interested in using NetSuite ERP to follow NetSuite's methodology. Follow it step-by-step, according to NetSuite's recommendation.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give NetSuite ERP a ten.

Private Cloud
OD
Senior Information Technology Manager at a mining and metals company with 201-500 employees
Helpful support, easy installation, but stability could improve

What is our primary use case?

We use NetSuite ERP as a production and application support solution.

What is most valuable?

NetSuite ERP is good for a trading company that involves buying and selling.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not good in a production company.

I have been using NetSuite ERP for approximately one year.

The solution could be more stable.

We have approximately 70 people using this solution in my organization.

I was satisfied with the support.

The installation is easy.

We have a…

What is our primary use case?

We use NetSuite ERP as a production and application support solution.

What is most valuable?

NetSuite ERP is good for a trading company that involves buying and selling.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not good in a production company.

I have been using NetSuite ERP for approximately one year.

The solution could be more stable.

We have approximately 70 people using this solution in my organization.

I was satisfied with the support.

The installation is easy.

We have a team of five which includes technicians and a manager that do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

There is an annual license required to use this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for a trading company.

I rate NetSuite ERP a six out of ten.

ML
IT Manager at a media company with 1-10 employees
stability and ease of use could improve, but feature rich

What is most valuable?

I have found there to be many features, such as manufacturing, accounting, financials, inventory, and purchasing.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not user-friendly and it is complex to use.

I have been using NetSuite ERP for approximately two years.

In the two years, we have been using the solution it has failed twice and we have experienced many bugs and glitches.

The technical support is okay but they are not quick to respond.

I have previously used Microsoft Dynamics. it has some better features than NetSuite ERP.

What about the

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution is not user-friendly and it is complex to use.

I have been using NetSuite ERP for approximately two years.

The technical support is okay but they are not quick to respond.

The company that did the implementation did not do a good job.

The price of the solution is quite high.

What other advice do I have?

I rate NetSuite ERP a four out of ten.