Okta Workforce Identity Overview

Okta Workforce Identity is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top ZTNA services. It is most often compared to Azure Active Directory: Okta Workforce Identity vs Azure Active Directory

What is Okta Workforce Identity?

Okta is an enterprise grade identity management service, built from the ground up in the cloud and delivered with an unwavering focus on customer success. With Okta, IT can manage access across any application, person or device. Whether the people are employees, partners or customers or the applications are in the cloud, on-premises or on a mobile device, Okta helps IT become more secure, make people more productive, and maintain compliance. Okta is an on-demand identity and access management service for web based applications, both in the cloud and behind the firewall.

Okta Workforce Identity Buyer's Guide

Download the Okta Workforce Identity Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Okta Workforce Identity Customers

Box, Groupon, National Geographic, Western Union, DocuSign

Okta Workforce Identity Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

TI
Principal/Director at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
The Multi-Factor Authentication capability lets you address one of the biggest challenges around security, to make it hard for adversaries to get into your systems.

What is our primary use case?

* Supporting SaaS implementations from corporate login. * I'm a consultant and have worked with Okta at two clients. Both had started to leverage Okta for single sign-on to SaaS services and internal systems. One was more advanced, the other was only doing limited federation and not taking advantage of the power of Okta.
Marc Johannes
Service Desk Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It made things a lot easier, especially with passwords

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an SSO hub for applications to be added/removed from users' profiles and troubleshooting, as well as an active directory. I work at a service desk providing IT support to PayU international and Naspers.

• "It made things a lot easier, especially with passwords."
  • "On the admin side, we can create our own passwords instead of generating one, which is usually difficult to explain to a user."
Learn what your peers think about Okta Workforce Identity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jaskeerat Singh
Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Provides a wide range of MFA options, my preference being Okta Verify

What is our primary use case?

We used this solution for provisioning more than one and a half LAC users and integrating more than 300 applications. SSO and MFA has been implemented on almost all applications. MFA options used: RSA token, Okta Verify, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

Integrating more than 300 applications is quite tough. With the help of Okta and its outstanding user friendly UI, things went fairly easily.

What is most valuable?

The ease of JIT provisioning. Wide range of MFA options. I prefer "Okta Verify" out of them all. Last, but not least, the ease of writing rules.

What needs improvement?

RESTful Web Service calls and their response seem a bit slow.

Less than one year.
HA
Application Support Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Effective integration tool, makes provisioning and deprovisioning management easy

What is our primary use case?

Okta is not just an identity provider (IdP) since, with the help of SAML, it can also be a service provider (SP), which then allows it to integrate with a different identity provider. In other words, it provides SSO. In my organization, we use Okta as a centralized solution for our multiple platforms. With just one login users are able to access any associated platforms without having to log in multiple times.

• "Other than Okta being an easy and awesome integration tool, one of the best features it has is the provisioning and deprovisioning, which makes management way easier. You don't need to be too technical to understand how it works."

What other advice do I have?

I rate Okta 10 out of 10 for being an awesome IdP. The API alone is amazing, not to mention the features and integration they have. Compare to other IdPs, Okta uses a dashboard that displays all the associated/linked services, which is really helpful when you have multiple services. It's really an easy tool and their support is great.
    it_user877146
    Sr. Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Enables us to automate provisioning and deprovisioning of accounts

What is our primary use case?

We use Okta primarily for user-provisioning and as an SSO portal for access to our applications.

• "The feature that is most valuable to me is the automated user provisioning that we set up using Okta as a major part of that process."
    • "We still had to write several internal programs/scripts to complete the user-provisioning process. Okta does not have the ability to provision mailbox accounts for on-premise Exchange or in a hybrid O365 environment. The Group Push function from Okta to AD did not work reliably in our environment."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of rating Okta, it is always hard for me to say, as I have not used any other product to perform the functions we use Okta for, so I really don’t have a comparison. There are some things that Okta does very well – SSO being one of those so for that part I would rate it as a nine or 10 out of 10. For the provisioning part, we did have several issues that we have to work through, so for that aspect, I would rate it somewhere around a six to eight out of 10.
    CI
    Information Security Design Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides better security posture by using SAML and MFA

What is our primary use case?

SSO integration with an on-premise Active Directory environment Universal Directory synchronization and leverage UD to integrate with other cloud federated applications O365 SSO integration

How has it helped my organization?

O365 integration, moving away from straight LDAP integrations for applications that reside in the cloud to true SAML functionality. Provides better security posture by using SAML and MFA.

What is most valuable?

UD SSO functionality MFA and Adaptive MFA functionality Ability to link multiple Directory databases with UD

What needs improvement?

UD attribute mapping, Okta group rules, and dynamic usage could use improvement. More in-depth functionality and features to integrate with RADIUS solutions.

For how long have I used

Systems Engineer II at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    App assignment and SAML integrations are valuable features.
    Technology Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
    We've used it to integrate our HRIS system with Active Directory/Office 365.

What other advice do I have?

The Okta application network is a huge component of the company that will grow with the industry. If customers are asking for things, then Okta will consider adding it.
    Download our free Okta Workforce Identity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.