Oracle Identity Governance Overview

Oracle Identity Governance is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile Identity tools. It is most often compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: Oracle Identity Governance vs SailPoint IdentityIQ

What is Oracle Identity Governance?

Oracle Identity Governance reduces the total cost of ownership for organizations by empowering user self-service, simplifying audit and compliance tasks and automating IT operations. By delivering a comprehensive platform for access request, role lifecycle management, access certification, closed loop remediation and privileged account management, Oracle Identity Governance is a solution that address today's requirements and enables organizations to quickly adapt to emerging requirements. Oracle Identity Governance suite provides many benefits, including: Increased end user productivity, Increased IT productivity and automation of provisioning tasks, accelerated useronboarding and stringent controls over sensitive access to shared privileged accounts, Reduced total cost and risk and Increased efficiency.

Oracle Identity Governance is also known as Oracle Identity Manager, Oracle IAM, Oracle Identity and Access Management Suite.

Oracle Identity Governance Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Identity Governance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Oracle Identity Governance Customers

Werkbank, Oshkosh, PeerPay, Boingo, Kellogg's, Pella, Slanska, Avaya, D+M

Oracle Identity Governance Video

Oracle Identity Governance Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user515592
Operations Engineering Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Jun 7, 2018
Its most valuable feature is its scalability

What is most valuable?

Scalability.

What needs improvement?

Ease of use (updating entries) Backup strategy

More than five years.
JRV
Senior IT Risk Management and Compliance Assurance Security Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
User
Feb 25, 2018
Improved use and dependability; allowing us to pass audit each time

What is our primary use case?

Based on what I have read in its OIM Service Manual and seen as a user with admin rights, the product certainly has a lot of capabilities and promise on identity and access management. However, I have yet to see its full functionality exercised in my organization.

• "OIM in my organization has improved its use and dependability, allowing us to pass audit each time."
  • "The proactive controls which can be configured to a granular level allowing the organization the flexibility to meet the changing demands of the workforce."
  • "Automation of validation exercises performed by humans over Recon Exceptions generated as a result of an access synchronization event over a user's need for access or not."
  • "I have yet to see its full functionality exercised in my organization."
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, SailPoint, ForgeRock and others in Identity Management (IM). Updated: February 2021.
466,017 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Saurabh Tripathi
Security Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 2, 2017
It has enough flexibility to unify the access management needs of any organization into one place
it_user723987
Solution Delivery Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 28, 2017
Helps provision required accesses through policies, though there were setup complications

• "It helps provision the required accesses through policies, approvals, and whatever would be the business requirement."
  • "I would like to see more segregation managed through Oracle Identity Manager."

What other advice do I have?

If you have a large scale organization, then this is the right product because it gives you a lot of opportunities to do customization and custom development. These are very much required when you have a big organization with different kinds of applications; some which are outdated, some which may not get the required support in the market. I think their latest version has actually improved this product a lot in terms of functionality, performance, and features. There are some features the new release has which our old customers were looking forward to.
it_user719784
Security Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 20, 2017
Aligns Well To Business Flow, The Connectors Are Good But It's Costly

What other advice do I have?

Nowadays, what people do is they look for queries, they look for solutions on the internet and they implement them. That will take more time implementing because they don't understand what they are doing. They need to understand the tool before they implement any solution. This is something I tell my juniors as well who work under me. You can't just bypass the basics and get the solution and implement it. So, if you talk about implementation aligned to the business, Oracle is best. The only tool which I can compare with Oracle at the moment is SalePoint. Other than that, there is no tool which…
it_user522075
Java Developer at a government
Jul 31, 2017
Helps us to define roles and get people to specific tasks. It is hard to implement due to the security that we have to manage.

What other advice do I have?

I'm new at this, but I know that the tool is working. I'm not sure if the problems are coming from us or from the implementation itself. We need to balance the complexity versus the quantity of users and the way that we manage all the connectors.
it_user704334
OpenShift Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jul 23, 2017
Some of the valuable features are provisioning workflows and identifying life-cycle management

• "Identifying connector framework for unifying provisioning capabilities from OIM."
  • "It would be great if the Oracle Fusion Middleware team worked on making it compatible with other application servers, as it exists in OIM9.x."
it_user704019
Rådgiver at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jul 17, 2017
Most areas need improvement including GUI and core functionality

• "t is too complex, has too many bugs, and is an immature product, even the best case, beta version."

What other advice do I have?

Don't use it! Find something else. Ask me for advice. We are currently switching to another vendor/product.
    Chukwuma Esoga
    Senior Identity & Access Management Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Jul 7, 2017
    One of the most important features is single sign-on

• "The most important features that have impacted our environment recently are the Single Sign-On solution, role based provisioning, and the automated provisioning of accounts to target systems."
    • "The development and the administration side could be a lot more intuitive and easier to use than it currently is, in terms of functionality and what it tries to achieve as a Single Sign-On entity for an enterprise environment."

What other advice do I have?

Document, Document, and Document. The product is very vast and complex and it can get pretty large in a short amount time. It pays to document every thing you do. Other than that, I think it’s a great product and it has a lot of potential.
    it_user685398
    Principal Consultant & Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Jun 26, 2017
    I have found the connector framework, based on ICF, to be the most valuable feature.

• "I have found the OIM Connector framework, based on ICF, to be the most valuable feature."
    • "OIA needs to improve its governance features."

What other advice do I have?

Go with Oracle if you expect more customization features from the product.
    Saurabh Tripathi
    Security Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    May 16, 2017
    Provides periodic certifications of access for compliance.
    it_user6567
    Customer Relations at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Jan 23, 2017
    Classic Enterprise Provisioning/Reconciliation

What other advice do I have?

Classic enterprise provisioning system provides self-service, resource attestation, password synch, delegated admin. My use is for external user registration system into OID for target system.
    it_user521919
    Principal IAM Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Jan 12, 2017
    It provides a centralized view of people requesting access to provisioning.

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly short list OIM on a list of candidates along with some others in the market. With Gartner publishing every year, you have a good review for all the products on the market. For me, Oracle is at least top 5. The features are there. Oracle has always had a good vision about where the product is going. A vendor must have a quality product with easy-to-use features. Right now, user experience is a big thing in the market. Many vendors offer similar solutions. Ease-of-use and the quality of that is the main factor for us.
    it_user521784
    DBA Manager|Principal Database Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jan 12, 2017
    It has improved our user-level management. Installation is straightforward and documentation is available.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. There may be some issues during setup, but once it’s stabilized, it's a perfect product.
    it_user521946
    Principal Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 1, 2016
    It automates onboarding and other manual business processes. Connectors to cloud-based applications would help.
    it_user521832
    Solutions Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 1, 2016
    It is stable and works under high load. It has a connector for most of the legacy products.

What other advice do I have?

Try the different products and you will feel the difference. It may be a little difficult to go with this product, but it does help developing at a later phase, so there they will get advantage. So if they really want to compare, compare it full-fledged, considering all points, not only the top one or two points; then decide whether it is good.
    it_user521949
    IT Manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Nov 29, 2016
    It enforces policies around maintaining identities and expiration. It is cumbersome to deploy; there are multiple layers in terms of trying to get it to work.
    enterpri3afe
    Enterprise Access Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Nov 27, 2016
    It provides a consistent user interface and technical support is good.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the product. I recommend that they consider pilot rollouts when they go live, not a big bang, so they can gradually understand, once they implement it, what the real impacts are. That's pretty much the biggest “a-ha” that we had. Build the knowledge and understand how it functions, not just based on the documentation, but try it out, test it out, and come into it, eyes wide open. I don't think there are other products like it out there. Again, there's always room for improvement.
    it_user521601
    Specialist at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Nov 24, 2016
    We're evaluating it because we need an application to allow role-based access.
    it_user383106
    Tecnologías de la seguridad y ciberseguridad en Telefónica at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Sep 26, 2016
    The GUI is old. We need to reboot the product often.

What other advice do I have?

Try to implement newer versions (OIM 12c, for example), or change to other vendors (IBM, CA).
    it_user455391
    IT Admin at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Aug 31, 2016
    Writing custom connectors makes it flexible enough to reach all types of target systems.

What other advice do I have?

It is one of the best in breed, but is very expensive.
    it_user446703
    IAM System Engineer - Cyber Security at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    Jul 18, 2016
    The provision and deprovisioning means its more secure. The Design console is a bit dated and complicated to use when in development.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a difficult product to fully understand but with time will become a lot easier to use. I have only used Oracle so I cannot compare it with other products.
    it_user465630
    Software Engineer Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Jul 17, 2016

What other advice do I have?

I recommend for people to wait for the new version, in which the concept of a sandbox will be removed. I rate the product a 7. The product provides good out-of-the-box functionality, and Oracle provides fair technical support, but the product does have its drawbacks. Performance is bad, and tuning must be performed by Oracle, which will take time. Customization of the product’s existing features is not user-friendly.
    it_user480711
    Co Founder at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Jul 17, 2016
    The self-service tool for end-user access request and password change has reduced helpdesk calls. The underlying architecture of the product is quite complex.

What other advice do I have?

One thing for sure, is that it is the most comprehensive solution out there in the market. During the preliminary stages when the concept of Identity Management was not well defined, every vendor came up with a product offering solution for very specific use cases. Now, the offerings are quite mature but they still have trace and limitations bound to their origins. If you are looking for a simple, and quick, tool to get started with, there are many options out there in the market but then there are limitations that require customization or creating features from scratch.
    it_user456360
    Founder at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Jun 7, 2016
    Provides us with an integrated platform for all governance products.

What other advice do I have?

Please choose your solution carefully and plan the infrastructure with entire applications in place.
    it_user436173
    Senior Oracle Database Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    May 31, 2016
    It's very complicated to set up. The product does exactly what we'd expect it to do, but it took us a long time to get there.
    it_user426948
    IAM Solutions Architect, CISSP at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    May 30, 2016
    Provides us with better control of our identity data and entitlements in target systems. The process of integrating with target systems can be simplified.

What other advice do I have?

Gartner and Forrester offer reports comparing and ranking different vendors. At the initiation of our implementation project, Oracle was ranked as a leader. The picture has changed since then. In my personal opinion, the choice of technical solution should always be subordinate to companys needs, issues and use-cases. When these are defined, the company should compare several different solutions to each other and focus on ease of learning and use of product.
    it_user446739
    Business Analyst - IAM at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    May 30, 2016
    We’ve outsourced infrastructure and application management, but application development and implementation is in-house. I would recommend this approach.

What other advice do I have?

Try to focus on the IAM processes and functional side of the field, rather than technical development.
    it_user427716
    Sr. OIM Consultant at a international affairs institute with 10,001+ employees
    May 18, 2016
    I like the delegated administration, centralized account management and attestation.

Valuable Features

Centralized account management Provisioning, reconciliation Attestation/Re-certification Delegated administration

Improvements to My Organization

Application access is provided to and removed from end users in a timely manner, which removes delays in the on-boarding/off-boarding process. It also improves productivity and security.

Room for Improvement

It could be more stable and faster.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for eight years.

I've had no issues with deployment.

There are issues with stability in the long run.

There are issues with the scalability in the long run.

Customer Service: 6/10 Technical Support: 6/10. You need to have serious…
    it_user427101
    Senior Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    May 5, 2016
    It replaced the old Oracle SSO and OID, helping us save on support for off-the-shelf products. I would like to see a better installation process.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it. Stability and scalability are very good. Once installation is done and it is stable, you will not experience too much trouble.
    it_user432642
    IAM Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Apr 28, 2016
    Out-of-the-box connectors help to reduce the amount of development needed.

Valuable Features

Automated Provisioning to applications is one of the features that is really helpful. Also, there are a lot of out-of-the-box connectors available from Oracle that help to reduce the amount of development needed.

Improvements to My Organization

Automated Provisioning to applications has removed the effort required to manually create accounts in applications, which increases our productivity.

Room for Improvement

UI customization is still a challenge as it requires a lot of effort to develop.

Use of Solution

I've been using this product for the last four-and-a-half years, and have kept it up to date to get all the new features.

Issues at deployment depend on the load of the system. Our system is a bit heavy and requires good hardware. …
    it_user422589
    IAM Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Apr 28, 2016
    It helps in streamlining the identity lifecycle management, beginning with bringing in an employee, contractor or partner into the system until the day they leave the organization.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate the product and solution against your existing IT Infrastructure and hybrid model of on-premises and off-premises applications. Based on the footprint weight, you need to implement your IAM Identity Management system.
    it_user420084
    Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    Apr 21, 2016
    The most valuable feature of Identity Manager is its integration with other Oracle products. Specifically, its in the same stack as WebLogic and Database.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Identity Manager is not the easiest to configure nor is it the lightest weight, but again, it's all integrated together and it's a consistent set of tools.
    it_user293976
    Senior Infrastructure Engineer with 10,001+ employees
    Oct 31, 2015
    It has helped in the automation of account handling and creation for multiple systems.

What other advice do I have?

With the new version of the products, its best left to the choice of the implementer to analyse the pros and cons of the different vendors before deciding on which product to choose.
    it_user217167
    Senior Security Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Mar 31, 2015
    It has helped in automating and reducing manual processes but all the functionalities are overly complicated.

What is most valuable?

Provisioning Reconciliation engine Adapter factory

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped in automating and reducing manual processes.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be more flexible and should have friendlier UI with more integrated features within a single UI.

I have used this product for over three years.

We faced many issues while migrating onto this solution.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 6/10. Technical Support: 3/10.

Which solution

it_user194679
    Solution Architect with 51-200 employees
    Mar 15, 2015
    General stability of the product needs to be improved but it allows for more centralized user management.

Valuable Features

Reconciliation User Roles Privileges Management

Improvements to My Organization

It allows for more centralized user management, improving system administration efficiency and reducing costs.

Room for Improvement

Connectors that are available for integrating with different products. General stability of the product needs to be improved.

Use of Solution

I am not exactly a consumer of the product but an implementer of the solution. I have been working on Identity and Access Management for around two years. We are a vendor and solution provider for this suite of products.

Many issues were faced during installation and deployment some of which were resolved by involving Oracle Support.

The product does have some…
    it_user204828
    Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Feb 7, 2015
    Our clients like that it saves them time and helps with user management but the performance should be improved.

Valuable Features

User provision and user de-provision access to resources like email.

Improvements to My Organization

We are a Consulting company but for our customers it saves time, help the user management and after implemented the company’s help desk is trained to support their employees.

Room for Improvement

Performance.

Use of Solution

3 years

Yes, we encountered issues.

Yes, we encountered issues.

No issues.

6 out of 10.

Complex in compatibility between Operation System version, Data Base version, Fusion Middleware version and so on.

Implementation Team

In-house.

Other Solutions Considered

it_user178095
    Lead Solutions Architect at Cox Enterprises
    Jan 16, 2015
    Hard to set the SAN setup correctly for LCM silent installations​ but it shaved 6 hours per environment setup

What other advice do I have?

Get people who have performed R2 installations and designs. This is important because if it's not done right the first time then you will be spending a lot of time either fixing issues or having to re-build everything. When you have such a robust system such as this, it gives you many ways to architect solutions.
    it_user181875
    Co-Founder at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Jan 15, 2015
    The security functionailty is valuable although it still needs some improvement

What is most valuable?

Governance feature

How has it helped my organization?

Security Online resources

What needs improvement?

Security Mobile app

Five years.

Yes we did have issues with deployment.

Yes we did have issues with stability.

Yes we did have issues with scalability.

Customer Service: 6/10. Technical Support: 5/10.

Yes, a customer used a different solution. We switched because the new solution can cover/manage most of the in-house…
    it_user174618
    Identity and Access Management Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Dec 31, 2014
    It's a complex product and it runs a bit slower than its competitors but it does automate user creation.

What other advice do I have?

I would say this is a good product but some time would have to be spent in planning and learning.
    it_user176979
    I & A Management Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Dec 31, 2014
    The product is excessively resource intensive but it does streamline account lifecycle management and single sign on.​

Valuable Features

Provisioning Single Sign On.

Improvements to My Organization

It has streamlined user account lifecycle management and single sign on.

Room for Improvement

I did not give it 10 out of 10 because of the time it takes for new versions to mature before they are bug free. The product is excessively resource intensive (i.e., hardware requirements) especially in the later versions.

Use of Solution

I have used this solution for the lasts ten years.

Some issues, such as multi data-center deployments had issues, which were resolved after working with the vendor's A team.

Customer Service: 9/10 Technical Support: 9/10

The set up is fairly complex and requires certain degree of…
    it_user174537
    Senior Oracle Functional Consultant at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Dec 23, 2014
    Automatic onboarding of employees and off boarding of employees is useful but sometimes there are stability issues

What is most valuable?

Automatic Onboarding and Offboarding.

How has it helped my organization?

Automatic onboarding of employees and off boarding of employees, also single sign on feature is one of the key features.

What needs improvement?

Though Oracle advertises integration of Oracle Identity Manager – Oracle GRC and Oracle EBS works, but it never works in real time.

3 years.

Yes we had lot of bugs, but Oracle resolved them.

Yes sometimes.

Yes sometimes.

Customer Service: 6.5 out of 10. Technical Support:…
    it_user2841
    Developer at a integrator with 51-200 employees
    Jun 1, 2014
    A very good tool -- something which you can rely on. Worth every dime you invest in it.

What other advice do I have?

The second place where OIM scores well is the Out Of the Box connectors which come bundled with OIM. The concept of self service is tightly and rightly integrated with OIM. With granular functioning which could be customized to suit the organization's needs, OIM really stands out in User Account Creation, provisioning, SSO, Compliance support etc to name a few. If you cannot find what you are looking for, you can build it and integrate it with OIM which makes it a good choice when choosing an Identity access management framework for your organization.
    it_user107157
    Alliances Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    May 5, 2014
    Pros: Works with other directories out of the box, Great UI and Tools. Cons: Difficult to setup

Valuable Features

Once integrated, the administration console, integrated workflows (Entitlement requests) for approvals and self service features.

Room for Improvement

Since it was a suite of tools the customer used and we just needed to use OIM, it was a learning curve to get the products integrated and working together.

Use of Solution

Just a couple of months during a Pro Services engagement

Very good support

We needed to integrate a product using Active Directory with OIM. Getting the initial OIM product up and running in the lab was complex for first timers as well as understanding whether to use the adapter factory or if we could use an existing pre-configured connector.

Other Advice

This product has many features…
    it_user98769
    Senior Technical Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Mar 23, 2014
    Good solution for mid and large level organizations for reducing total cost of ownership

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Identity Manager is a highly flexible and scalable enterprise identity management solution that is designed to administer user access privileges across a company's resources throughout the identity management life cycle, from initial on-boarding to final de- provisioning of an identity.
    it_user1017
    eCommerce Expert at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    Jun 27, 2012
    Oracle Identity and Access Manager provide a comprehensive identity management and access control system that simplifies user access and usage monitoring across applications.

What other advice do I have?

Access Management Oracle Access Manager stores information about configuration settings and security policies, that control access to resources in a directory server that uses Oracle Access Manager-specific object classes. You can use the same directory to store the Access System configuration settings, access policy data, and user data, or you can store this data on separate directory servers. Administrators can use the Access System to protect web resources and enterprise resources such as J2EE applications, servlets, Enterprise Java Beans (EJBs), and legacy systems. The Access System also…
    Download our free Identity Management (IM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, SailPoint, ForgeRock, and more!