Palo Alto Networks WildFire Overview

Palo Alto Networks WildFire is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Advanced Threat Protection tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Palo Alto Networks WildFire vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Palo Alto Networks WildFire?
WildFire™ cloud-based threat analysis service is the industry’s most advanced analysis and prevention engine for highly evasive zero-day exploits and malware. The cloud-based service employs a unique multi-technique approach combining dynamic and static analysis, innovative machine learning techniques, and a groundbreaking bare metal analysis environment to detect and prevent even the most evasive threats.
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks WildFire Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Palo Alto Networks WildFire Customers
Novamedia, Nexon Asia Pacific, Lenovo, Samsonite, IOOF, Sinogrid, SanDisk Corporation
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks WildFire pricing:
  • "We pay between $3,000 and $4,000 CAD ($2,200 - $3,000 USD) per year to maintain this solution."
  • "This is an expensive product and the market for Palo Alto in Poland could be much bigger if the pricing was comparable to Fortinet."
  • "This solution is very pricey and it depends on the package that you implement."
  • "It's pretty expensive but with respect to value for money, it's okay."
  • "The licensing fees are on an annual basis, and there are no costs in addition to the standard fees."

Palo Alto Networks WildFire Reviews

JasonMcFeetors
Information Technology Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Feb 18, 2020
Good technical support and provides automatic analysis that saves us time in filtering email

What is our primary use case?

We have the Palo Alto Firewall sitting on the edge and everything that comes through it is analyzed. Even if anything comes through via email, it is forwarded to the WildFire service, which then opens up email attachments to see if they do any damage to the system. If it reports back that the attachment should not be forwarded then it keeps it out. WildFire has discovered a lot of stuff that our other anti-spam tool did not, so it has been quite good.

• "Using WildFire has reduced the number of viruses and the amount of malware that comes into our system, which means that I don't have to rely on the end-users to identify it."
  • "It would be nice if there was an easier way to install and deploy it, such as through the inclusion of wizards."

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution and from a technical perspective and it does a fantastic job. At the same time, we are actually planning on getting rid of it, as it is probably overkill for what we need. I think that when they were looking at this device, they didn't really know where to turn. I was not working here at the time, so they took the recommendation from their telco. My intention is to replace it with four or five individual firewalls, which gives us a little bit of redundancy and does some other things for us. Palo Alto has a lot of advanced stuff that it brings with it, and we don't…
Umesh Wadhwa
CEO at E-DIRECT CLOUD SOLUTIONS SP. Z O.O.
Sep 11, 2020
Offers good protection against zero-day malware

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and WildFire is one of the security products that we implement for our customers. We are also using it for testing purposes. It is primarily used to check for cloud-based malware.

• "The most valuable feature is the cloud-based protection against zero-day malware attacks."
  • "The only complaint that we receive from our customers is in regards to the price."

What other advice do I have?

WildFire is always a product that we recommend for our Palo Alto clients because it tracks potential malware in the cloud and it is very important to prevent these types of attacks. In today's climate with the pandemic, a lot of staff are working offsite and remotely, leading to a surge in internet usage. This makes the work environments prone to various threats, which is one of the reasons that products like WildFire are so important. Overall, from our point of view, it is a good product that works well. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks WildFire. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Girish Vyas
Architect - Cloud Serviced at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Sep 26, 2019
Traffic is scanned in a single flow which improves the response times for the user

What is our primary use case?

We use Palo Alto Networks WildFire for firewall and IT services. We also use it for bank security requirements. They are remarkable for support of threat analysis on files.

• "They have many different options with Palo Alto WildFire and the set-up is quick. If you have all the details in hand, it does not take more than 15 minutes to deploy a firewall."
  • "There are certain changes that I was expecting in the previous version, and I hope that they are soon fixed. All of the problems that I have faced so far have been resolved."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give Palo Alto Networks WildFire a 8 for safety.
ShafiFaruk
Network Manager at 3C Information Solutions Inc
Jun 30, 2020
Simple to set up, offers malware protection and web filtering, and the VPN works well

What is our primary use case?

We had two 800-Series Palo Alto Firewalls, but as they reached end-of-life, we began researching alternatives. Ultimately, we chose to switch to Cisco Firepower, so we no longer use WildFire.

• "The most valuable feature for us is the VPN."
  • "When you contact support, there is no guarantee that they will be available to help you tackle the issue that you are facing."

What other advice do I have?

The Palo Alto models that we were using are the PA800-500 and PA830. I have seen people in different organizations and different industries set their firewall solutions up in different ways. It depends on the level of support, in terms of who will be maintaining the network. It also includes the level of knowledge they have, as well as their management preference. Some people choose Palo Alto because they don't care about the costs, and it is an easy solution to use, especially if they are already familiar with it. I would say that if they have the budget then this is a good choice and I…
reviewer1189212
Technical Support Engineer at a venture capital & private equity firm with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Feb 17, 2020
Excellent threat protection, great technical support, and an easy setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Wildfire products to prevent attacks. As resellers, we showcase the Wildfire capabilities like handling known and unknown threats on the customer side.

• "The way that the solution quickly updates to adjust to threats is the solution's most valuable aspect. When there's a security attack, within five minutes, all Wildfire subscribers have access to updates so that all systems will be safe. Its threat prevention is way better than other vendor products."
  • "The size of Palo Alto's cloud is big but it could be easier to use from a product management perspective."

What other advice do I have?

I really recommend Palo Alto Networks. Out of 10 stars, I would give 11. I would recommend the solution because it's so easy to deploy and when you read the security profiles, it's very easy to handle, unlike other vendors. When it comes to threat protection, the features are easy to use and understand.
Dwayne Samson
Senior Analyst Security and Compliance at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jul 29, 2020
It has great stability and we see a lot of value from it

What is our primary use case?

WildFire is being deployed based on vendor and security best practices and recommendations from our Managed Service Provider. leveraging their inherent knowledge it allows us to think outside the box.

• "For example, if a security Intel threat talks about an IOC. We can then go to our MSP and say, "Is there a signature for this particular type of malware that just came out?" And if they'll say yes, then we'll say, "Okay. Does it apply to these firewalls? And have we seen any hits on it?" There's absolutely value in it."
  • "It's not really their problem, it's a problem across the board. There will always be problems with interrupted traffic. We have to set it up where we're playing a middle man game where we're stripping it out, looking at it, and then putting it back together and sending it on its way. That requires CPU cycles. And there's some overhead with that."

What other advice do I have?

Install the solution set it up the service in alert mode. Run reports and determine how you want it tuned, them move into block mode. You may want to go to block mode right away with known out of the box threats.
Itnetw355
IT Network Consultant Engineer - Projects and ICT Infrastructure Services at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 19, 2019
Helps us when segmenting and securing the network

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for firewalls, cloud, and on-premise.

• "It helps us when segmenting and securing the network and all sort of technologies, all sort of next generation needs. It's next generation phases of firewall like anti-virus, sandboxing, wifi, and VPN."
  • "Other vendors have some sort of bandwidth management built into the firewall itself and Palo Alto is missing that."

What other advice do I have?

It's a stable product. It's pretty expensive but with respect to value for money, it's okay. I would rate it a nine out of ten.
reviewer818484
Information Security Officer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 26, 2019
The automatic threat determination makes it a perfect complement to a Palo Alto Firewall

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for threat intelligence, to detect threats.

• "The most valuable feature is the Automatic Verdict, to recognize whether something is a threat, or not."
  • "I would like to see them continue on their developmental roadmap for the product."

What other advice do I have?

WildFire is a perfect complement to a Palo Alto Firewall, it's invaluable. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
See 3 more Palo Alto Networks WildFire Reviews
Product Categories
Advanced Threat Protection
Download our free Palo Alto Networks WildFire Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.