Palo Alto Networks WildFire Overview

Palo Alto Networks WildFire is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Palo Alto Networks WildFire vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Palo Alto Networks WildFire?
WildFire™ cloud-based threat analysis service is the industry’s most advanced analysis and prevention engine for highly evasive zero-day exploits and malware. The cloud-based service employs a unique multi-technique approach combining dynamic and static analysis, innovative machine learning techniques, and a groundbreaking bare metal analysis environment to detect and prevent even the most evasive threats.
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks WildFire Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Palo Alto Networks WildFire Customers
Novamedia, Nexon Asia Pacific, Lenovo, Samsonite, IOOF, Sinogrid, SanDisk Corporation
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks WildFire pricing:
  • "We pay between $3,000 and $4,000 CAD ($2,200 - $3,000 USD) per year to maintain this solution."
  • "This is an expensive product and the market for Palo Alto in Poland could be much bigger if the pricing was comparable to Fortinet."
  • "This solution is very pricey and it depends on the package that you implement."
  • "We are on an annual subscription. When we purchased the firewall, we had activated this solutions license for a minimum of one year. The price of the solution is fair."
  • "The price is a bit higher than the other products such as TrendMicro, or FireEye."

JasonMcFeetors
Information Technology Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Good technical support and provides automatic analysis that saves us time in filtering email

What is our primary use case?

We have the Palo Alto Firewall sitting on the edge and everything that comes through it is analyzed. Even if anything comes through via email, it is forwarded to the WildFire service, which then opens up email attachments to see if they do any damage to the system. If it reports back that the attachment should not be forwarded then it keeps it out. WildFire has discovered a lot of stuff that our other anti-spam tool did not, so it has been quite good.

• "Using WildFire has reduced the number of viruses and the amount of malware that comes into our system, which means that I don't have to rely on the end-users to identify it."
  • "It would be nice if there was an easier way to install and deploy it, such as through the inclusion of wizards."

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution and from a technical perspective and it does a fantastic job. At the same time, we are actually planning on getting rid of it, as it is probably overkill for what we need. I think that when they were looking at this device, they didn't really know where to turn. I was not working here at the time, so they took the recommendation from their telco. My intention is to replace it with four or five individual firewalls, which gives us a little bit of redundancy and does some other things for us. Palo Alto has a lot of advanced stuff that it brings with it, and we don't…
UW
CEO at E-DIRECT CLOUD SOLUTIONS SP. Z O.O.
Offers good protection against zero-day malware

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and WildFire is one of the security products that we implement for our customers. We are also using it for testing purposes. It is primarily used to check for cloud-based malware.

• "The most valuable feature is the cloud-based protection against zero-day malware attacks."
  • "The only complaint that we receive from our customers is in regards to the price."

What other advice do I have?

WildFire is always a product that we recommend for our Palo Alto clients because it tracks potential malware in the cloud and it is very important to prevent these types of attacks. In today's climate with the pandemic, a lot of staff are working offsite and remotely, leading to a surge in internet usage. This makes the work environments prone to various threats, which is one of the reasons that products like WildFire are so important. Overall, from our point of view, it is a good product that works well. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks WildFire. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Girish Vyas
Architect - Cloud Serviced at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Traffic is scanned in a single flow which improves the response times for the user

What is our primary use case?

We use Palo Alto Networks WildFire for firewall and IT services. We also use it for bank security requirements. They are remarkable for support of threat analysis on files.

• "They have many different options with Palo Alto WildFire and the set-up is quick. If you have all the details in hand, it does not take more than 15 minutes to deploy a firewall."
  • "There are certain changes that I was expecting in the previous version, and I hope that they are soon fixed. All of the problems that I have faced so far have been resolved."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give Palo Alto Networks WildFire a 8 for safety.
SF
Network Manager at 3C Information Solutions Inc
Simple to set up, offers malware protection and web filtering, and the VPN works well

What is our primary use case?

We had two 800-Series Palo Alto Firewalls, but as they reached end-of-life, we began researching alternatives. Ultimately, we chose to switch to Cisco Firepower, so we no longer use WildFire.

• "The most valuable feature for us is the VPN."
  • "When you contact support, there is no guarantee that they will be available to help you tackle the issue that you are facing."

What other advice do I have?

The Palo Alto models that we were using are the PA800-500 and PA830. I have seen people in different organizations and different industries set their firewall solutions up in different ways. It depends on the level of support, in terms of who will be maintaining the network. It also includes the level of knowledge they have, as well as their management preference. Some people choose Palo Alto because they don't care about the costs, and it is an easy solution to use, especially if they are already familiar with it. I would say that if they have the budget then this is a good choice and I…
VA
Technical Support Engineer at a venture capital & private equity firm with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Excellent threat protection, great technical support, and an easy setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Wildfire products to prevent attacks. As resellers, we showcase the Wildfire capabilities like handling known and unknown threats on the customer side.

• "The way that the solution quickly updates to adjust to threats is the solution's most valuable aspect. When there's a security attack, within five minutes, all Wildfire subscribers have access to updates so that all systems will be safe. Its threat prevention is way better than other vendor products."
  • "The size of Palo Alto's cloud is big but it could be easier to use from a product management perspective."

What other advice do I have?

I really recommend Palo Alto Networks. Out of 10 stars, I would give 11. I would recommend the solution because it's so easy to deploy and when you read the security profiles, it's very easy to handle, unlike other vendors. When it comes to threat protection, the features are easy to use and understand.
Darshil Sanghvi
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Different deployments available, highly scalable, and plenty of features

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for our zero-day advanced persistent threats(APT). Additionally, we are using it as our only sole network distribution.

• "The solution is completely integrated with all the other Palo Alto products. I think that it is the best part for endpoint protection. The firewall features include URL and DNS filtering, threat protection, and antivirus."
  • "The threat intelligence that we receiving in the reporting was not as expected. We were expecting more. Additionally, we should be able to whitelist a specific file based on a variety of attributes."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I rate Palo Alto Networks WildFire a ten out of ten.
Dwayne Samson
Senior Analyst Security and Compliance at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It has great stability and we see a lot of value from it

What is our primary use case?

WildFire is being deployed based on vendor and security best practices and recommendations from our Managed Service Provider. leveraging their inherent knowledge it allows us to think outside the box.

• "For example, if a security Intel threat talks about an IOC. We can then go to our MSP and say, "Is there a signature for this particular type of malware that just came out?" And if they'll say yes, then we'll say, "Okay. Does it apply to these firewalls? And have we seen any hits on it?" There's absolutely value in it."
  • "It's not really their problem, it's a problem across the board. There will always be problems with interrupted traffic. We have to set it up where we're playing a middle man game where we're stripping it out, looking at it, and then putting it back together and sending it on its way. That requires CPU cycles. And there's some overhead with that."

What other advice do I have?

Install the solution set it up the service in alert mode. Run reports and determine how you want it tuned, them move into block mode. You may want to go to block mode right away with known out of the box threats.
AY
Pre-sales manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good Sandbox Capabilities and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a security company working in the security system for the banking sectors, and we're trying to penetrate through the identity and access management products for our clients. We work with all of the Palo Alto technologies.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are sandbox capabilities."
  • "Our main concern is that everything has to be synced with the WildFire Cloud and has to be checked through the subscription."

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product. I would rate Palo Alto Networks WildFire and eight out of ten.
See 7 more Palo Alto Networks WildFire Reviews