Palo Alto Networks WildFire Overview

Palo Alto Networks WildFire is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Advanced Threat Protection tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Palo Alto Networks WildFire vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Palo Alto Networks WildFire?
WildFire™ cloud-based threat analysis service is the industry’s most advanced analysis and prevention engine for highly evasive zero-day exploits and malware. The cloud-based service employs a unique multi-technique approach combining dynamic and static analysis, innovative machine learning techniques, and a groundbreaking bare metal analysis environment to detect and prevent even the most evasive threats.
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks WildFire Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Palo Alto Networks WildFire Customers
Novamedia, Nexon Asia Pacific, Lenovo, Samsonite, IOOF, Sinogrid, SanDisk Corporation
Palo Alto Networks WildFire Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

NS
IT Network Consultant Engineer - Projects and ICT Infrastructure Services at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps us when segmenting and securing the network

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for firewalls, cloud, and on-premise.

• "It helps us when segmenting and securing the network and all sort of technologies, all sort of next generation needs. It's next generation phases of firewall like anti-virus, sandboxing, wifi, and VPN."
  • "Other vendors have some sort of bandwidth management built into the firewall itself and Palo Alto is missing that."

What other advice do I have?

It's a stable product. It's pretty expensive but with respect to value for money, it's okay. I would rate it a nine out of ten.
Associate Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
At the end of the day, even in spite of application controls, it's on top of the charts in terms of functionality.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is on-frame and in-cloud security of the infrastructure.

• "Being an application-based firewall, this is one of the critical focus factors along with the threat prevention services it provides."
  • "It is stable and pretty much scalable."
  • "As a firewall and 360 degrees of security, there needs to be more maturity."
  • "The initial setup was complex."

What other advice do I have?

Some of our clients used to have the traditional firewalls so where we do have enabled the application control but being it's a pretty small firewall. At the end of the day, even in spite of them demanding the application controls, it's on top of the firewall functionality (especially in terms of controlling the applications). So, after implementing the Palo Alto firewalls, they have achieved more than what is expected, and we are able to control the number of applications; who gets to have access, and what is flowing inside the network. Anything that is traversing the firewall, is available…
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks WildFire. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Security Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The cloud-based services are a nice feature.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for a secure gateway. It creates a proxy or an appropriation for the suspicious files that can be damaging.

• "The cloud-based services are a nice feature."
  • "My primary use case for this solution is for a secure gateway."
  • "I think it would be nice for Palo Alto to work without the connection to the cloud. It is 100% powerful when connected to the cloud. But, if you disconnect from the cloud, you only get 40-50% power."
HG
Head Of Operations at RAH InfoTech (P) Ltd
Reseller
I like the attention to detail. It is easy to manage.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is the attention to detail. IT is also easy to manage, and easy to use. It is a really good product.

How has it helped my organization?

The reporting feature helps our performance.

What is most valuable?

I really like the product, it is easy to manage and easy to use.

Less than one year.

In the duration of our use, it has been stable.

It is a scalable product. We have had no issues with scalability.

I have not had issues with technical support of this solution.

The initial…
EB
Network System Administrator at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It catches modified signatures of known viruses

What is our primary use case?

We don't want a virus. We don't want people visiting unknown sites and opening us up to any type of malware or any type of virus attacks.

• "Their technical support is outstanding and top-notch."
  • "It catches modified signatures of known viruses."
  • "They should make their user interface a little more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

Test it in your environment because everyone's environment is different. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Price matching up with features. * Support * SLA agreements * Customer relationship management.
Network Security Engineer at Data Consult
With this product, we receive the best monitoring and reports

• "​Installing this product as a datacenter firewall for segregation and segmentation, and also configuring policies between zones has improved my organization."
  • "With this product, we receive the best monitoring and reports.​"
  • "​The VPN and decryption need improvement."
  • "​They provide a medium level of technical support."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to install Palo Alto's firewall as a datacenter. You should enable the features (Threat Prevention (AS, AV, and Vulnerability Protection), File Blocking, URL Filtering, WildFire, etc.). Palo Alto's firewall is the best firewall right now. I have used Palo Alto since 2014.
Sr. Network Engineer at a tech services company
Strengthens existing protections, provides significant visibility into files and apps moving through the company's systems

• "Detailed reporting on analysis of content. The inspections are easily applied to security policy profiles and profile groups, and may be assigned on a per-rule basis."

What other advice do I have?

Consider your level of exposure to exploits of any nature. Also, consider the impact (cost and loss of business) of even one successful exploit to help make a business decision regarding this product. I would also advise that the decision should be considered with regard to the company's ability/willingness to provide the assets to keep abreast of these types of products and features. There are no set and forget type functions.
    Deputy Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    The IDA and IPS system filtering provide an enhancing network and endpoint security for the client

• "High availability with active-active and active-passive modes."
    • "The data analytical system for deployment needs to improve."

What other advice do I have?

Technical support is excellent and it is a promising option.
    Senior Network and Security Engineer
    Was instrumental in blocking new threats before other anti-virus tools were able to detect them.

• "WildFire has been instrumental in blocking a number of new threats, before common desktop anti-virus tools were able to detect them."

What other advice do I have?

Do it.
      Senior Systems Administrator/Network Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Provides credential-based attack prevention.

• "Whole team can use the firewall and understand it."
      • "The GUI is better in 8.0, but I still feel it lacks the fast response most of us desire. Logs are much quicker."
      Architect - Cloud Serviced at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
      It crashes too frequently for a few boxes, but they have the best tech junkies I have worked with.

What other advice do I have?

Go forward, this is an amazing device to be implemented if you have the cost to bear.
      Presales Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      The way that the product process or handle the traffic, is one of the best in the industry.​

What other advice do I have?

Always show to the customer what the product can do for them and what not, is a good practice, because they can open their eyes and to be sure what are the benefits of that technology. Always analyze the network topology, using the customer's network diagram and ask every doubt that you have, for my experience a good analysis and deployment plan give us a successful implementation.
      Data and Storage Systems Manager at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Palo Alto is an easy to manage firewall.
      Palo Alto is an easy to manage firewall. It connects successfully in AD and LADP for user based policy. It has rich application info for app.based policies and it gives enough IDS performance. New policy compile is speedy.
      IT Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      It can do on-premises sandboxing and detect attacks by malware embedded on files and URLs, but it should handle many more file types without sending .APK files to the cloud for sandboxing.
      Network Systems Manager with 51-200 employees
      MSP
      A custom script is required to put the SSL Decryption certificate into Mozilla Firefox but it is a very comprehensive and secure firewall.

What other advice do I have?

The product is straightforward to implement, though if you are looking for a quick implementation, I would suggest bringing in an expert.
      Chief Information Security Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
      The deployment of Wildfire was surprisingly easy but inspection over different protocols needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

If you're running Palo Alto firewalls there is no reason not to use it at the free level. Once you have run it for a while at the basic level, you can make an educated decision if it's worth paying for the subscription (it is).