Polarion ALM Overview

Polarion ALM is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools. It is most often compared to Jira: Polarion ALM vs Jira

What is Polarion ALM?

The world’s first 100% browser-based ALM enterprise solution, which enables seamless collaboration across disparate teams, multi-directionally linked work items, full traceability, accelerated productivity and automated proof of compliance.

Polarion ALM Buyer's Guide

Download the Polarion ALM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Polarion ALM Customers

Engineering Ingegneria Informatica, IBS AG, Zumtobel Group

Polarion ALM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Polarion ALM pricing:
  • "The license model is okay for large companies but would be quite expensive for smaller enterprises."
  • "If the pricing would come down and it was more affordable then we wouldn't have to switch."

Polarion ALM Reviews

reviewer1398537
Senior Research Engineer at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 6, 2020
The amount of document control, combined with review and release probabilities and signatures is really useful

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Polarion ALM for requirements engineering as well as task planning and task execution, but we mainly use it as a documentation and traceability tool. I work in the medical device development field. Even though Polarion is quite expensive, it's quite a good solution for medical device development in general, especially for software development. Within our previous company, not that many people used Polarion as it was only used within our department relating to medical device development. I'd say around 20 to 30 people were using it. It's hard to say as we had around six licenses… more »

• "We had a nice experience with technical support."
  • "The ease-of-use could be improved a little."

What other advice do I have?

If you're a beginner to Life Cycle Requirements Engineering in general, I'd recommend that you familiarize yourself with the basics of requirement engineering in order to gain independence of the tool itself. Eventually, when you start using Polarion, start from the very beginning. Even though the tutorials are out-of-date, they are still helpful. We also used our vendors as our trainers and teachers. We booked them for three or four days to get a proper introduction to Polarion. Starting off with an expert is a really good idea, it will cost you, but it will save you so much time. One expert…
reviewer1253193
Technial Lead at a transportation company with 1-10 employees
Dec 19, 2020
Stable with a straightforward setup and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

Polarion can be used typically for application lifecycle management. Typically it's used for requirement management, test case management, and defect tracking.

• "The technical support is quite good."
  • "The configuration aspect of the solution is not easy. A person needs a lot of programming knowledge in order to successfully handle the job."

What other advice do I have?

We're a solution provider, so we don't directly use this product. We came across this product and have deployed it for our end client. We are a deployment and development partner for various clients in the automotive industry. We have a specific partnership with the vendor in Germany. We are not directly related to Polarion. We're a service provider for their vendor. We are using the latest version of the solution. I'd recommend this product to other companies, of course, depending on their requirements. Overall, I would rate it at an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Siemens, PTC, Atlassian and others in Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Suites. Updated: January 2021.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IstvanZsikla
Assistant Engineer at Zsikla István
Sep 13, 2019
Straightforward setup and the support is ok, but usability is hindered by too many items in one LiveDoc

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for requirement engineering. Our deployment is on a private cloud from Siemens.

• "The initial setup of this solution was straightforward, and there were not too many problems with it."
  • "The interface for this solution needs to be made more user-friendly to provide a better user experience."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to use less than one thousand work items in one LiveDoc. Otherwise, their experience may be poor. I would rate this solution a five out of ten.
reviewer1194969
Sep 25, 2019
Enables us to circulate a work ticket within teams but it's not a complete solution

What is our primary use case?

I use the on-prem deployment model. Our primary use case is for application life cycle management, DevOps, and all the application requirements.

• "You can see the work ticket and you can circulate that within the teams. You can define your flows, customize according to your needs, and you can create dashboards and create the reports according to your needs."
  • "The most important thing for them to improve should be platform-independent features. They should also provide extensive pipelines and release pipelines that we can define and we can work on."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a five out of ten. I would like to see better integration and better extensivity of tasks. The costs are not proportionate to the features it offers.
reviewer1410069
Senior DevOps Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 31, 2020
An all inclusive tool that is stable and integrates well

What is our primary use case?

Polarion is an all in one tool that we use from conception to validation testing. Our product team uses it for their requirements, our developers use it for their stories and tasks, and our quality team uses it for testing. It integrates with SVN and GitLab.

• "It meets with everybody's needs without having to grab plugins."
  • "Technical support needs some improvement."

What other advice do I have?

It's been the only ALM tool that I have used. As far as capabilities and learning the system, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.