Ranorex Studio Overview

Ranorex Studio is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile App Testing Tools. It is most often compared to SmartBear TestComplete: Ranorex Studio vs SmartBear TestComplete

What is Ranorex Studio?

Ranorex is a leading software development company that offers innovative test automation software. Ranorex makes testing easy, saves time in the testing process and empowers clients to ensure the highest quality of their products. Its flexible tools and quick ROI make it the ideal choice for companies of virtually any size – and this is why thousands of clients in over 60 countries trust in its excellence.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Ranorex Studio Customers

Siemens, TomTom, Adidas, Canon, Lufthansa, Roche, Cisco, Philipps, Dell, Motorola, Toshiba, Citrix, Ericsson, sage, Continental, IBM, Credit Suisse, Vodafone

Ranorex Studio Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Systems Architect with 51-200 employees
Provides regression testing and continuous integration, reduces QA costs

What is our primary use case?

In my company, the project is a desktop application. We are using Ranorex to record the test cases.

• "The solutions's regression testing is very important for our company, as is the continuous integration process."
  • "Binding to other sources is very good but the object recognition in .NET desktop applications often doesn't work."
  • "Ranorex is used in Windows while other solutions, for example, Katalon Studio, are cross-platform. (But in my opinion, overall, Ranorex is better)."
  • "When Ranorex is upgraded, the compatibility with other projects, in version control, in-house or on-premise, fails on occasion. However, overall, the stability is good."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10 because of the expense of licenses and lack of simultaneous execution. It's limited to only one machine or computer. My advice is to compare solutions. Two years ago there were very different options in the market. Compare Katalon Studios with Ranorex.
Test Manager/ QA Consultant at Aspire Systems
We've used it for one of our biggest clients to automate Web (Asp .net, Sharepoint and Silverlight applications) and Desktop (Windows and WPF) applications. But tests fail with minimized browsers.

• "Easy integration with CI Tools like Jenkins, TFS, and TeamCity."
  • "Other OS Support, Ranorex Spy performance improvement (Especially for Silverlight controls)."
Find out what your peers are saying about Ranorex, SmartBear, Micro Focus and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Automation Software Engineer, CI/CD Implementation at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
MSP
Automation coverage overnight is very useful, although it needs to have modularity.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have several windows environments for development. You can use Ubuntu or Mac for running tests inside AWS windows box, but development is better or native windows.
QA Analyst at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Better version needed to support all Desktop Applications

What other advice do I have?

Go through the user guide and update your library files for your mobile automation process.
Associate Lead Consultant in Quality Assurance and Testing (QAT) at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
It supports multiple repositories and the ability to sort and maintain the repository in a positive way. It needs the ability to maintain and access tests in a more intuitive/structured way.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for implementation is to do a proof of concept first to ensure this product works for you. Do your research, all products have their positives and negatives. Assemble a list of requirements, interview vendors and other users of the product, go through strenuous Proof of concept phase – evaluating and analyzing how well the product fits your current and future needs.
Test Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It provides us a better user-friendly UI, a less expensive tool, and continuous integration capabilities. However, it needs support for OSs other than Windows.
Senior QA & Test Manager, Head of Test Automation at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reporting capability and error handling capabilities are one of the best.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend reading through the user guide, the guide is very comprehensive and provides a lot of examples of best practises Buy Runtime Engine licenses for execution rather than full Ranorex Studio license. Make use of Cross Browser Testing as far as possible (Automate once and run on multiple browsers). Use variables and data fields that have consistent names (like $UserName and $Password). Use data-driven testing, which allows to run the same test over and over with different data while getting consistent and verifiable results. Use the data to feed and to validate the system. Create…
Software QA Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We have our own Python library that uses the Ranorex API and are using the Robot Framework for test automation with it.

What is most valuable?

Ranorex Spy is the most valuable feature for us, as it provides functionalities for analysis of host or web applications, as well as information for test automation.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using Robot Framework for test automation. We have our own Python library that uses the Ranorex API.

I've used it for seven months.

We didn't have any issues with deployment.

There have been no stability issues.

It's scaled just fine for us.

I haven't had to use technical support yet. …
Software Test Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has the ability to perform mobile test automation, but there is a problem during div element recognition.

What other advice do I have?

It is simple and stable solution.
Test Automation Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
The results of test execution are represented with more details, but sometimes, it's hard to decide which function to use as the explanation of the existing functions is extremely short.

What other advice do I have?

My rating is based on the features I use. There are some other features of the product that I haven't touched yet because of the way the test automation is organized on the project I have been working on. I would suggest using this product because even though it is not an open source solution, the benefits of using it are achieved based on the products price. I was a beginner when I started using this tool and got used to the tool in a very short amount of time so I started working actively very quickly. It depends on the way the tool is used on the project, but either way, I personally think…
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It helps us to loop or iterate some functions for any module an N-number of times, but with the new version of Chrome, some objects are identified differently.

What is most valuable?

Spy for X-path and data binding help us to loop or iterate some functions for any module an N-number of times.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our company in a numbers of ways, but most importantly it helps us save time and the report preparation is nice and easy.

I've used it for two years and three months.

With the new version of Chrome, some objects are identified differently, so we need to identify those and fix the x-path of the object.

Customer Service: It's very good as I have interacted a lot with a number of people (especially Bassem and Bernhard) when faced with the object…
Quality Engineer at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We had web/mobile automation in mind, and although Ranorex doesn't support that form of technology, it provides us with a way to write custom code with which is able to handle it.
I've been using this product for the last two years. It's a great product, and I love the object recognition technology, RxPath, concept. Record and playback is also a well implemented feature. I like their website, and they provide nice documentation of each and every feature of the product.  The Ranorex forum is where you can raise your queries, and independent Ranorex experts as well their  support team will try to respond quickly Licensing is another thing that we found to be a good deal compared to other tools. There is also Ranorex certification from the company you can take, but I find it a bit expensive. It is easy to install and use. The user interface is very good. We started with a different solution and moved onto this one, as we found a few features of our product…
Senior QA at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Object Repositories allows you to define variables for identifying objects and the value can be set through the code or during run time, but it does need better IntelliSense support.

What other advice do I have?

Dynamically changing application or a desktop application which is challenging to automate, blindly go for Ranorex.
Application Support Engineer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It was able to read some of our custom components while other tools failed to do that, but running it in a distributed environment was a challenge since it requires an active user session.

What other advice do I have?

Check if all your components are recognized by Ranorex prior to buying.
SW Engineer at Descartes Systems Group
Anyone with an elementary knowledge of programming should be able to work with it right away, but it is based on an old version of SharpDevelop IDE, though they are planning an upgrade to it soon.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest you try to implement a use case with multiple concurrent test automation products, to find the right one for your needs. It’s good to compare various aspects of different products - element recognition consistency, recording reliability, reusability of test modules, comprehensiveness of support and documentation, and the quality of the community forum etc.
Technical Intern at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It's reduced the manual effort in verifying the user interface of the product under test, but there were some issues when the UI widget being tested was not developed in .NET.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to spend some time reading the user guide and interacting with teammates who have already used the tool so that things become straightforward when you use it. It is a good tool to perform user interface testing over a .NET product.
Product QA Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It has a powerful IDE whereas QTP’s is antiquated, however building the frameworks themselves takes time and skill.

What other advice do I have?

Skilled resources! I can’t push that point enough. You need at least one highly skilled resource to be responsible for the architecture of your framework as long term maintenance will be your largest cost, followed by actual implementation time. A skilled resource can then help to transfer their knowledge across to less technical resources. Ultimately a good architect will aim to abstract the technical as much as possible to enable non-technical team members to also assist with the automation process. People ofter refer to this as a “script less” approach. Whilst this is nothing new, there is…
Application Development Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Using the "User Defined" functions has helped me a lot in testing my applications in different ways, but the SQL Connector should implement user-defined queries.

Valuable Features:

It allows users to insert code.

Improvements to My Organization:

Using the "User Defined" functions has helped me a lot in testing my applications in different ways.

Room for Improvement:

SQL Connector has a lot of improvements to make, and they need to implement user-defined queries.  Also, the invoke function doesn't work as it should to select the items down in the scroll tab.

Use of Solution:

We've used it for one year.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

No issues encountered.

I've never had a chance to interact with the service provider.

Initial Setup:

I would rate it average -- neither straightforward nor complex.

ROI:

Staff Test Development Engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Using this product, we have been able create and manage UI automation in the best possible way, but they need to improve their support of different web browsers along with Flash support.

What other advice do I have?

It's excellent for desktop based applications (win forms), and the best for web based applications, with some instrumentation tricks on Flex/Flash based applications.
QA Test Manager at Konica Minolta Business Solutions Europe GmbH
It brings more accuracy in regression tests, more time for involved people for their daily tasks, and more confidence to the application. However, it needs a better connection to TFS.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for an automation tool that is easy to implement, easy to understand, and works with most of technologies on the market, Ranorex is the appropriate solution for you. So far I can only recommend this product.
Associate Software Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The test execution times of our test automation projects were significantly improved. However, it lacks Windows Mobile automation.

What other advice do I have?

Ranorex doesn't provide automation for Windows Mobile, and lacks some of the basic functions like table comparison etc. Although one can achieve this through C# or VB.net, it would be better if it provides the UI comparison. However, Ranorex uses power of C# to built a highly competitive Automation tool. You should go for it and it will not let you down.
Professional QA Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
RanoreXPath is very powerful and makes it possible to set-up a strong UI recognition. However, it would be nice to have a way to indicate the coverage of the tests of the application.

What other advice do I have?

Ranorex is a very good product, especially for testing Windows Forms applications but also companies with web applications and mobile applications will be very pleased by the product as it has also perfect UI recognition for these platforms. It’s also easy to learn for non-programming skilled people.
QA/Automation Specialist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It's easy to use the test suite and add test cases to do our product bug fixes, but I would like to see if it can support user devices such as printers.
Software Test Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It is easy to navigate through logs and find the bugs, but it's not compatible with the continuous integration we use internally.
Test Engineer at a newspaper with 501-1,000 employees
We can now perform automatic testing of a web solution every night and after every deployment, but it needs more possibilities on mobile devices.

What other advice do I have?

Try the free trial and have a look at the several demo videos.
Software Developer/Tester at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It has the ability to cover large amounts of testing with minimal coding, but it needs less changes to the code when modifying a repository.

What other advice do I have?

As a stand alone product Ranorex is quite useful. However, if you plan to implement and merge this with a project that is complex, it requires full automation, API integration, and has a large data set it can be arduous.
ADS Enginner at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
I have been able to run specific tests on different platforms and browsers, but compatibility with different browsers needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

The mobile testing feature is the most valuable feature for me.

How has it helped my organization?

I have been able to run specific tests on different platforms and browsers.

What needs improvement?

The compatibility with different browsers needs to be improved.

I've used it for three to six months.

There were issues with objects identification.

Customer Service: 9/10. Technical Support: 9/10.

I tried to use different products Selenium, TestComplete, amongst others, but this was very familiar, fast, adaptable and flexible.

How was the

Developer/Test Automation Engineer at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
It has significantly cut down the time it takes me to run through multiple, repetitive test steps, but it would be great if they supported JavaScript as a usable language to write code modules in.

What other advice do I have?

The best advice I can give is geared towards implementation. If you’re capable of writing your own test scripts, then I wouldn’t suggest using the Record/Playback feature at all, aside from maybe looking at the generated code module for help on starting a new test case. There are a lot more constraints that come with using the record/playback method, and you cannot easily implement conditional statements or parameters, like you would be able to in the code modules.
QA Lead at a media company with 51-200 employees
The ability to create test scripts with the flexibility to run them as a whole or as individual test steps within the script is valuable, but the UI can be quirky at times.

What other advice do I have?

Based on my experience, this would be my tool of choice for test automation. There are many out there but I have yet to find one that offers all of the features mentioned above in one package.
Software Test Engineer at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Due to the ability to code our own adaptors, the code maintenance effort has been reduced, but they are not engaging model-based testing technologies.​

What other advice do I have?

We have been employing Ranorex in the field of desktop PC application UI automation. In this particular area Ranorex proved to be a perfect choice. Unfortunately we could not gather any experience in the field of web application automation.
Director at IGATE
It allowed us to find critical defects and to automatically execute many scripts, and although I've suggested some improvements to the mobile app, the latest release probably implements them.

What other advice do I have?

Like any other automation tools, first understand the application, identify the reusable components, define the automation framework, and start writing the scripts in Ranorex. Don’t directly start converting the test cases to automation test scripts without setting up the framework. Even if you directly convert test cases to automation test scripts when there are changes comes in the application it is easy to fix it in Ranorex than any other automation tools. Very user friendly tool.
QA Manager at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
We are in full production executing thousands of test cases, multiple time per sprints across various platforms. However, I would like to see a load balancing tool for test execution.

What other advice do I have?

Given the makeup and technical level of our entire team and the product we are developing. This was and continues to be a good fit. Make sure it fits with your team goals and products. Consider the profiles of folk you will need to hire to implement and maintain the testing. There is a stigma with being in QA as opposed to being a developer, so you may implement a tool that is hard to hire for. Take for example Selenium, lots of QA want it on their resume because they can demand more compensation, the profile needed is that of a developer. Sample results
Automation Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
All our automation teams' suites are now more robust and accurate, but they need to focus more on the coding modules.
Download our free Functional Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Ranorex, SmartBear, Micro Focus, and more!