WordPress Overview

WordPress is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Web Content Management tools. It is most often compared to SharePoint: WordPress vs SharePoint

What is WordPress?

WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL. WordPress is installed on a web server, which either is part of an Internet hosting service or is a network host itself; the first case may be on a service like WordPress.com, for example, and the second case is a computer running the software package WordPress.org. Features include a plugin architecture and a template system.

Download the Web Content Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

WordPress Customers

TIBCO Software, Code for America, Crosswise, Essio Shower, AdLemons, Applied Geographics

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Christopher Joles
Disabled House Elf at Maine Music News
Easy to use with many different interfaces to chose from

What is our primary use case?

We use WordPress for both of our websites, www.mainemusicnews.com and www.jolesphotography.com. WordPress has allowed us to maintain our own website at a reasonable cost, giving us the ability to reach people worldwide with our concert photography.

• "We use WordPress on two different websites and it solves all of our website issues."
  • "I would recommend dumping the Gutenberg interface, as that is horrible."

What other advice do I have?

Since it was released, I have been using the classic editor and it works and provides all of the necessary elements. However, I would recommend taking a look at Elementor and seeing how they are implementing the use of blocks in their page builder.
Christian García
Mobile application developer at Boarding Pass (Newsbp.co)
The most valuable feature is that it is easy to install and manage

What is our primary use case?

In my company, we are using WordPress for the development of our website since it is much easier to upload content and does not require expert programmers.
Find out what your peers are saying about Wordpress, Microsoft, Plone and others in Web Content Management. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Lori Steuart
Channel and Marketing Manager at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Lots of flexibility for integrations and ability to create simpler as well as more complex sites

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for marketing our product and make sure we are always able to be found by the right people - converting visitors to leads. Because Wordpress has so many plugins and the ability to integrate different analytics, SEO, and even social apps, we can track all the data we need to make real decisions about page, messaging, blog, content performance.

What other advice do I have?

If you are not technically skilled, get someone to set it up for you to make it easy to create and update the pages yourself going forward.
content writing manager at Self-employed
A stable system which offers a wide variety of themes and templates

What is our primary use case?

WordPress is the only Content Management system which I am presently using for building professional websites and blogs. It is a great application which gives an all-in-one solution for creating stunning websites. There is no need for experience in hard coding. Although, some expertise is still needed for customization.

• "It is a stable system which offers a wide variety of themes and templates."
  • "The system should be more informative."

What other advice do I have?

This is the best solution for building a quick website.
reviewer807813
Consultant at a tech services company
Ready-made themes speed the design process. The basic product is becoming less usable by end users for site maintenance post delivery.

What is our primary use case?

WordPress CMS is used on a variety of website projects internally and for our clients. It is used for static websites and numerous projects, including booking systems, review sites, job boards, and portal sites. It is also used for marketing activities in conjunction with a number of other tools.

• "As WordPress is such a popular product, there are many designers and developers available to work on projects."
  • "Ready-made themes speed the design process; a huge number of quality themes are available from several sources."
  • "Good for rapidly turning around all the elements required for online sales funnels."
  • "The basic product is becoming less usable by end users for site maintenance post delivery."
  • "Backups and moving sites could be handled better."
  • "WordPress sites do require quite a bit of maintenance: Constant updates to both WordPress and all the various plugins that it requires."
it_user795618
Research Assistant
User

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for WordPress was to create and maintain a website internally in the company, which we have done (and are very happy with the result). I worked with my manager to create a great website that shows our products and has drop down lists, as well as being very appealing to the eye.

• "It has a vast array of themes which could be applied to make the website visually look more appealing to the target market."
  • "This program has made it possible for our company to advertise all around the country, instead of keeping it local."
  • "It may be useful to have a downloadable program that you could have on your desktop that allows you to create and maintain the program while offline."
it_user685404
Vice President , Sr. Data Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
The online store, dynamic shipping cost tables, and invoicing are a few of the valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

You can rest assured that WordPress will likely provide a scalable back end to your website. The only advice that I would emphasize is to spend some time and money on a quality web hosting service. WooCommerce is a well-known ecommerce plugin provider for the WordPress platform. We used multiple out-of-the-box plugins from this company to enhance our website. We leveraged the standard WooCommerce marketplace, Authorize.net portal (allow for credit card payments), QuickBooks plugin (integrate with our cloud based QuickBooks system), shipping ticket and invoicing printing plugins, and dynamic…
Consultant en organisation & chargé de mission à l'international at a consultancy
Simple to learn. The product is agile and flexible.

What is most valuable?

WordPress is simple to learn, agile, and flexible.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, we have a blog!

What needs improvement?

Ergonomy Aestheticism

One year.

A change of management in my team.

No issues.

No issues.

Customer Service: A five out of 10. Technical Support: A six out of 10.

It was straightforward.

In-house.

10%. …
Mark Vincent Verallo
Web Developer / Programmer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees

What other advice do I have?

WordPress combines simplicity for users and publishers with under-the-hood complexity for developers.
Product & Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Review about WordPress

What other advice do I have?

Here are 5 reasons why you should use WordPress: -WordPress allows you to create fully functional websites and mobile applications. You can make your website beautiful with themes, and extend it with plugins. -WordPress is a open source software. It has a large community and is maintained by a large group of volunteers. -There are many services for WordPress that make tackling this particular issue a lot simpler and save you a ton of time while making everything a lot more manageable. -WordPress has plugin functionality, but compared to other CMS, it's quite basic. You can create highly…
Digital Marketing Analyst at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
It enables multiple logins to edit the site simultaneously.

What other advice do I have?

It is extremely easy with all the plugins and widgets available. The changes you need to make can be easily implemented and there is a support forum if you face any issues.
Aimee White
Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
ExpertTop 5
WordPress - not just for blogs anymore.
David Quaid
Director - Inbound Marketing with 201-500 employees
The ease of access for a large developer community is good.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use User Interface Theme/template model Widgets and plugins Cost Ease of access for a large developer community

How has it helped my organization?

Rapid deployment ROI CapEx

What needs improvement?

Faster deployment Better native AMP

I've used it for 10 years.

We rarely have issues.

We've not really had any issues with the stability.

We sometimes have issues when scaling it out.

Customer Service: It's community based, so we never need customer service. Technical Support: It's…
SEO Business Web Technologies Merchant Solutions Consultant at a tech services company
The product has evolved and has become dependable and secure.

Valuable Features:

The product has evolved and has become dependable and secure. If you are an IT person, server security should be easy to implement.

Room for Improvement:

Better screen task management when doing updates of many pages. There should be an enhanced configuration screen for advanced users to do custom tweaks and adjustments. There are many editors to chose from. One must pick an editor that compliments the way you work.
Web Designer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features are sidebar, menu, and plugins/ratings. It needs better, updated plugins.

What is most valuable?

Sidebar Menu Plugins/ratings

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our speed to market.

What needs improvement?

It has a need for better, updated plugins. Now there's an SEA of them and there are too much with some being outdated.

We've used it for four years.

We've only had issues with the backups during deployment.

We had issues with the flash in the early days.

We can't scale as the plugins are outdated.

Customer Service: 7-8/10 Technical Support: 7/10

Which solution did I

Product Categories
Web Content Management
Download our free Web Content Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Wordpress, Microsoft, Plone, and more!
Quick Links