Barracuda Email Security Gateway Review

We have evaluated more than eight products of known vendors, and out of eight, we decided on this one.

What is most valuable?

The Anomaly-based spam detection is a very good feature of Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall, since it not only keeps track of the Anomalies, but also protects and notifies any illegitimate attachments, content, as well as the suspicious source from which an email is arriving/contained in the email.

Another important feature that organizations are looking for is the Integration with LDAP and Active Directory. This Device has a capability to easily integrate with the AD connected with the Exchange environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Based on a true case, we had been receiving emails from different countries on a bulk scale containing malware.

Before the installation of Barracuda, we were only able to identify the threat on the Endpoint level, but after installing the Spam Filter, it keeps track of each and every activity done in an email.

What needs improvement?

Two things:

1) The backup and recovery of the rule set stored in the device.

2) In denial of service condition, the events-per-second flow creates little jerk in term of delay.

When we are considering the enterprise security, we are interested in adding the additional controls in the environment. Barracuda device has a weak distinction‎ in its backup and recovery

Let me share a practical example: We have a Barracuda installed in a primary and backup location, it's difficult to include the exact configuration of a primary device to backup device, it has a time constraint ‎and effort based work. This area should be considered, as Barracuda has established their good appearance in the market.

Another area that should be considered for improvement ‎is the constant DoS attacks and bulk messages in the form of spam appearance on the device.

In a case of denial, condition on a ratio of 1200 to 1800 events per second would downgrade the performance of the device.

This was my practical role in testing the capability of this device, apart from the above two areas of improvement, this device has marvelous results in term of capacity, content, sources, and attachments.

I've used this solution for two years.

Not yet.

Not yet.

Best.

Lack of technical support and very delayed responses in the case of an incident.

Straightforward, even easy to install.

Pricing options should be considered by the Barracuda management, as per country market research. They should consider the economy and the country-technology ratio.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest implementing Barracuda Spam, because this solution has a multi-factor threat analysis engine, which other products don't have.