Barracuda Email Security Gateway Review

Link protection checks links and alerts us to phishing attacks

What is our primary use case?

We use it ourselves as well as our customers. Our deployment is on-premise and also combined with cloud control. Cloud control is second-tier. The first tier is cloud control, the Barracuda and Barracuda cloud and then the email is passed to our Barracuda box which is on-premise. It's a gateway appliance, not a hardware box. It is normally used with Microsoft Exchange server but is also supported with Microsoft Office 365. We have 20 users but our customers have from 200 to 500 users.

What is most valuable?

They combined the cloud control and they have anti-phishing. There is link protection, which means when a link is in the email and it is similar to PayPal, for example, it gets flagged. The link protection checks the link and checks that it has been faked because it's not the original PayPal link. So when a link is not original then it's passed to Barracuda and checked in the sent box and when it's okay then it's opened. Otherwise, if it's malware then there's an alert which says, "That's a phishing attack and this is what you need to do."

What needs improvement?

We had a case where right before a link was redirected and there was no chance to ignore it. A few days ago there was a feature request to clean and redirect a link because it was a false positive. Let us say false positive in the link protection and there's no easy way to correct it.

We have been using Barracuda Email Security Gateway for five years.

It's stable. The only issue is when you do an email campaign with large file attachments, PDF and then email, the system slows down. That is a problem because the queue gets full and you have to correct it and delete those emails manually.

The scalability is pretty granular. For example, 80p protection and cloud protection, link protection, anti-phishing, you can buy it all separately. You buy the original box and then you can buy afterward the additional security features.

Their support is very good. You get German and from Austria, but they also have English support world-wide. It is very good. With less response time. Short response time.

We previously used another solution. The complexity of the user interface was very complex and if you tried to make a configuration change, you end up searching for the feature and where you can edit. Also, security is a very good feature of the Barracuda Email Security Gateway. It has a per-user quarantine. It's very comfortable for the user to make his own white list or blacklist.

The setup is straightforward, it's very easy. For example, I want to change a feature but I didn't find it easily. There's a search option and you find the manual entry and you can make a conflict change.

It is yearly licensing. They recently increased the price but the price-performance relation is still very good. Compared to Cisco IronPort, Barracuda is less expensive and the configuration is much simpler.

What other advice do I have?

Try the Barracuda Email Essential Security Cloud Service. It's not expensive and implemented in half an hour.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

More Barracuda Email Security Gateway reviews from users