BigFix Review

This tool offers the capability to bundle a script ahead of patching, so maintenance and the corresponding patching is a click of a button

What is most valuable?

I have been using the patch management and server automation feature of this product. In terms of vulnerability management, it gives tough competition by providing a single management console with multiple benefits. Customization as per the requirements is one of of best it offers and almost any form of scripts and any OS can be supported for those customization.

How has it helped my organization?

The automation aspect has surely reduced the manual efforts leading to diverting those into other productive areas. Instead of manually bringing down any application prior to maintenance, this tool offers the capability to bundle a script ahead of patching, so maintenance and the corresponding patching is just a click of a button.

What needs improvement?

The tool should be more friendly in terms of Web UI and should be having better vulnerability scanning mechanisms so a third-party application is not required to fulfill that aspect.

I have been using the product for almost five years and have explored quite a lot with respect to its utilization and benefits.

The tool has been quite stable. It has improvements within each version, which have made it become better and more powerful.

No issues. It can well support clients, even if it is more than 100,000, easily and efficiently.

The support from IBM is good. It sometimes takes them a while to identify and come up with a workaround which can impact the environment.

Not really, I have been using multiple tools like BigFix/SCCM/Tanium for vulnerability remediation/inventory management. I never really switched from any other tool, but used them in parallel for different projects.

The setup is pretty straightforward, if you have a good knowledge about the geographical spread of your clients, so the relays are appropriately mapped.

Understand the requirements and the amount of use before choosing it. If you are just managing Windows machines with the regular MS released updates, than WSUS might be a cheaper and more viable solution. If you are looking forward to a single tool with third-party vulnerability remediation and in-house customization, then this is product is good to go.

SCCM was an option at one point, but we zeroed in on BigFix due to the customization possible.

What other advice do I have?

It is a niche tool with good exposure to required customization and automation, but still requires quite a lot of expertise to handle in comparison to its competitive tools.