BigFix Review

Servers are patched more consistently than they have been previously but there should be improved integration of user security between different products

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for automated server patching. It integrates with our change management tool. It replaced SCCM for Windows.

How has it helped my organization?

Servers are patched more consistently than they have been previously.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable features are the development of the patches, the fixlets, and not having to bundle things ourselves.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integration of user security between the different products to be improved. There's separate security for compliance, separate security for web reports, and the console, and you have to manage those things separately.

It's very stable.

It's very scalable. It handles it effortlessly for our needs.

The first level two support was a little spotty a year ago. It's improved. I get a B, B plus from them. The knowledge of the first line of support seemed to be limited.

Once you've done the setup once, it's not that complex. Initially, it can be a little bit complex to get your head around, but now that I've done it a couple of times, I don't deem it to be overly complex.

We used IBM Professional Services and it was a good experience.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BigFix an eight out of ten. It's powerful, has low administrative overhead, it's reliable, and not too expensive. Not a ten because there's always room for improvement.