BigFix Review

Drastically reduced the maintenance window period to patch and reboot servers

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the automation of patch compliance.

How has it helped my organization?

BigFix has drastically reduced the maintenance window period to patch and reboot servers.

It has helped to reduce network traffic when it comes to downloading patches. There's a single download to the primary BigFix server which is then replicated and cached on the Relays for all data center connected servers.

Due to the automation, we've been able to prevent a lot of human errors with BigFix so it's reduced our help desk calls by 50%.

Finally, it has helped us to compress patch cycles by around 75%.

What is most valuable?

The power is in the Platform!

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a WebUI SDK so we could take what is provided currently and be able to build our own customized web UI for particular customers that want to sell service.

It's extremely stable.

It's very scalable.

Their technical support is excellent.

We've used BigFix in the past with other companies so we knew BigFix was a superior tool. Ten years prior, the current tool we were using had a lot of overhead, was time-consuming, used a lot of resources, and time spent on it. We knew there were better tools out there.

It's far superior and there's no comparison to SCCM. It is so easy to navigate in the console. Everything's in a single view within a fixlet or a task. You can tell what actions are taking place versus having to go through separate menus in your console to figure it out. Just that alone and knowing instantly what your environment looks like based off of content makes BigFix superior.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It's simple infrastructure to set up in comparison to other tools, like BladeLogic or SCCM, very simple infrastructure to set up.

We implemented ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a ten out of ten. It hasn't changed much since it's inception, so it's a superior product and it's just going to get better with the expansion of the API endpoint security and WebUI.

If you're considering BigFix, you should look deeper than just what's on the retail box of patch and compliance and software distribution. Look at the platform, what it can do on the back, and the relevance language, and the reporting capabilities. There's a lot more to this that you can use in your DevOps org to accomplish automation tasks.