BMC Remedy Asset Management Review

Key beneficial features are the peer sharing module and software asset management

What is our primary use case?

I currently work for a telco client, and in this particular situation, the solution is mainly used to manage the telco asset, like cell towers and nodes. I'm a contractor and ITSM consultant.

What is most valuable?

The client is mainly trying to use the asset management as a repository more than an asset management tool, and not all the features are currently being used, so it's more like CMDB. When I use it for other clients, I actually like the peer sharing module and receiving assets - those are useful features. I also like their software asset management, that's a great feature.

What needs improvement?

I think the way the Software Asset Management is designed makes it kind of complicated. It could be more user friendly for admins to manage. It would be helpful if someone who didn't have complete knowledge about the back end forms could manage this feature.

I've been using this solution for close to eight years.

The stability is good in this solution.

Scalability of the solution is quite good. There are 20 users for now and most of the assets are created using integration tools. The user only has access to update these assets in the system, in case of any changes and for creating CIUs.

The customer support is great, maybe that's because I'm with a big client. They really are very good.

The setup is straightforward, it's fine, but maintaining the compliance reports and the software library is kind of complicated. One admin would be fine for maintenance, it depends on which area of the asset management tool, but the level of knowledge and skills needs to be a little more advanced.

I believe licensing is quite costly but I don't have the figures.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest making an effort to utilize all the available features, because asset management is kind of tricky. It has the connections with other applications in your organization, such as finance, but once you have an ITSM Suite and Asset Management, it's all part of the ITSM Suite, so it's better to have it as a central asset management tool, because you need to connect it with other applications, like incidents and changes and knowledge. I would encourage anyone implementing ITSM Suite with Asset Management, not to use it just as CMBD. Try to explore the features and have it as a centralized asset management tool in your organization.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.