CA Service Desk Manager Review

Users can now log calls themselves, instead of needing Service Desk administrators to do it. It should offer automated email logging.

What is most valuable?

Incident Management module: Tracking events or incidents is one of the most challenging work phenomena in the workplace. Convincing your clients to report issues is another different isolated task that, when done right, tremendously improves TAT.

How has it helped my organization?

The IT team becomes more effective and efficient because there is workload sharing. Where a Service Desk administrator would have had to log a call, Users can now do it themselves to get a service.

What needs improvement?

Automated email logging: The tradition in the workplace for communication will always be email. If emails can be used to automatically trigger calls, that is the best thing that can ever happen in the incident management or service desk process. This would save a lot of time, plainly speaking.

There should be a way for emails sent to a particular address to trigger an alert to create an incident or request, similar to SIEM automation mechanisms. If this is already available, my apologies, but I currently don’t have it.

I have used it for over three years.

The product is quite stable and highly scalable. No issues yet.

Technical support is 7/10.

I’ve used SCSM (System Center Service Manager), quite a good product from Microsoft. The difference is in scalability; there was a need to use a web application compared to an in-house product solution.

I wasn’t directly involved in the initial setup of the product.

Solution was implemented through a vendor. It is a good product to implement; quite feasible.

It really has a good cost-benefit analysis for any business with a large employee base.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution for service desks.

1 Comment
author avatarPaul Casaneanu

Hi - it is possible to have emails received create incidents. Below is an extract from CA SM WIKI which as a customer you can access or please get in touch with CA Support

"How to Configure the Mailbox to Handle Inbound Emails

Email lets you communicate with end users, such as employees or customers. The mailbox in CA SDM handles inbound emails from users and provides action according to the email. For example, the user sends an email to CA SDM to create an incident. Mailbox checks the email, creates an incident, and sends a notification back to the user.

CA SDM provides a default mailbox (named Default) that is active and ready for use within your organization. You can modify the default mailbox, create more mailboxes, or both. After creating a mailbox or modifying the Default mailbox, define the mailbox rules. The Mailbox rules let you configure any actions, replies, or both."