CA Service Desk Manager Review

Technical support is very helpful and willing to go above and beyond

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for the product is the help desk, and it has performed okay. It is working as it is designed.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a one stop shop. With the service catalog integrated with IT panel to the Service Desk. It is very nice to be able to use, because the workflow is all-in-one for the same product.

What is most valuable?

As far as the integration with using all the CA products, all the components integrate well together and are very easy to use.

Previously, we did not have a help desk at all. So, it has made a difference.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to be able to just click the executable and have it do the upgrade with minimal configuration, post installs, etc.

Once it is installed, it is pretty stable. With the way we have it setup, we use virtualization and we are probably running 99% uptime.

It is very scalable and very flexible.

The support is great. That was one of the big features of using CA: the technical support. They are very helpful and willing to go above and beyond.

We did not have a previous solution. We did not have a help desk at all.

I was involved in the initial setup. The setup was complex. Out-of-the-box was definitely a difficult configuration because a lot of manual configuration needs to be done. It is due to the flexibility of the product.

I am also having issues with the complexity of the upgrades. In regards to configuration to the new version, when you are not completely out-of-the-box, like an SSL configuration, it cause us issues with the upgrade.

We looked at ManageEngine, Semantic, and a couple other companies.

We chose CA because of flexibility, working with them and another company, and the support. Support was a big thing about choosing CA.

What other advice do I have?

It has been very functional for what we will be using it for.

You want to keep in mind what your end goal is; what you want to accomplish would probably be the biggest thing.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: In this case, it was the support that made the big decision on who we went with. We also considered cost, ease of use, and flexibility.