Cisco Jabber Review

We don't have to use an IP phone device all the time, and the productivity has been increased.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features found are the Immersive Telepresence, Video Conference, VoIP Phone with video, Corporate Collaboration tools and UC services for mobile devices. They all help to improve the communication time within the company.

This product makes my life much easier by shortening the distance between my boss and the rest of my team. More than half of the team I work with is located in another state, some 1,500 miles away. We can have meetings much more often due to this device, and in addition, it's possible to have meetings with other companies all over the world using WebEx and Jabber. We had a meeting with three other companies to discuss a new project via videoconference. Each company is located in different states in Brazil so we can save time and money. We had a drastic decrease of expenses by substituting videoconferences for work travel, so we rarely have to pay for tickets and hotel rooms for employees. The communication itself is the biggest asset and improvement in this case.

It also has ability to choose which device the calls are sent to - an IP Phone or Cisco Jabber, although you should be logged into the network on an IP phone.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have the possibility to be hands-free by communicating with other people in the company. It has integration with LDAP and I do not have to pick up the phone to call someone. I can access my directory list to choose a person and make a direct phone call from my personal computer which can also be done by video. It also enables me to join meetings without leaving my workstation and it's possible to watch conferences (when available to employees, such as board and CEO's conferences) from my PC. It's also possible to make local landline calls with the same software as if it were a simple telephone used with a headset. This means that we don't have to use an IP phone device all the time, and the productivity has been increased by using Cisco Jabber due to the hands-free feature.

We have a case here that I could join a meeting with three different companies in different states in Brazil by using Cisco Jabber from my workstation. The meeting facilitator (a company located in Brazil's capital) was able to connect to our MCU through an IP address and a virtual room set just for this connection. The use of a password was mandatory to establish and reinforce security. It's important to mention that for security measures the employers are only allowed to use it for professional purposes.

We've used it for over an year in collaboration with other technologies to create our own internal communications system.

There were some issues concerning bandwidth in the beginning, which was expected to be solved after implementing QoS correctly - and it was.

So far, they've been working well when we've contacted Tech Support team.

This was the first time we were implementing a Unified Communications system.

The implementation was performed by the vendor and assisted by the in-house tech team.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to be aware that different locations can have technical and logistics limitations and to be sure of the correct compatibility of multi-vendor appliances.