Dynatrace Review

The level of visibility that you get is the key feature for us

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the Dynatrace OneAgent solution would be OpenShift migration or OpenShift transformation, as part of our business is thinking about going the microservices route. The challenge that we have of course with the OpenShift world is, we lose the visibility that we had in the standard virtual machine with Dynatrace AppMon. That's where we are looking to potentially use Dynatrace as a solution.

We are trying to maintain parity between what we were able to see earlier with AppMon, and that's what we are trying to see in the new world. It should give us at least the same level of experience, if not better. That's what we are looking for.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of that solution would be the level of visibility that you get. I haven't seen anything that gives us that level of visibility yet. I've been speaking with Red Hat as well, they also recommended Dynatrace as a solution, so that's what we are looking at right now.

What needs improvement?

One piece that we think that's missing is, there were thread names that were missing in analytical information in the Dynatrace solution, versus the AppMon solution. The AppMon solution gives you that information, and it is very helpful for connecting dots and bringing all the pieces together.

There is another challenge, which is in case of the Managed solution. In our old solution we could simply export the data as session data, and that would be imported and seen. Now, if we are using the Managed solution, then giving someone access to that solution is a challenge. We can handle it, but it's different than taking screenshots and saving that information the way we used to. The copy/paste features that were there in old application - because it was a fat app - were nice, compared to browser-based app, because you cannot really use those features anymore. There are pluses and minuses that we see.

Trial/evaluations only.

We have done PoCs. I don't know whether I can speak in an educated fashion about the stability of this solution. But when we did a PoC for over a month, we did not see any issues with stability. The PoC was more of a SaaS, but we are potentially looking at the Managed solution.

We haven't encountered any scalability issues so far, but we were operating on a very small scale, so scale was not a test. Rather, feature, functionality, and parity, that's what I was trying to pull up. But we are having those discussions on a regular basis from feature/functionality perspective that we would like to see in Dynatrace.

I'm working directly with sales and engineers from Dynatrace. They have been very supportive. They are very knowledgeable. They are always available. We have a very good relationship with them. Last Saturday, seriously, someone was with me on the phone at noon trying to help on one of the issues. So they're very helpful.

With the Dynatrace solution, as this is still in PoC, I'm the first person involved in this. For AppMon, somebody else was doing that earlier, and I took that on on.

Setup with Dynatrace is much more simplistic. We've made a comparison matrix of other products, older products, and this one. That was one of the first items we were comparing. Ease of setup, of course, is great.

We did have other vendors on our short list before eventually going with Dynatrace. What made Dynatrace stand out from the crowd was feature functionality. That and the level of information that we are getting.

What other advice do I have?

The role of AI when it comes to IT's ability to scale in the cloud and manage performance problems is one of the areas that we are looking into in 2018. We are definitely thinking about that, it's something that's on our radar. I believe that it is definitely important. I have seen some features presented by Dynatrace AI. But we are trying to do little more. I'm still exploring the AI option, to understand it much better from the Dynatrace perspective. But we are probably going to supplement that with some of our own analysis as well, at this point in time.

We have used siloed monitoring tools. Of course, the challenge is, when you're trying to put one single story together, it becomes extremely difficult. Importing and exporting data from one tool to the other, bringing everything together, trying to tell a story, the amount of time spent on that is humongous. You generally don't have that time. That's the main challenge.

If you had just one solution that provided real answers, and not just data it would definitely a great benefit - to have a solution rather than having data. Because then you're not relying on your best analyst, but you're going to present that to anybody who can read that information essentially and say, "Hey, here is the problem. This is how I go and fix it." Or, I would know which team to call, or which developer to call, because I could clearly see it on the screen. That visualization is very important. I think that would definitely help.

When it comes to selecting a vendor we have a lot of criteria. Vendor management within our company typically goes through those criteria. What I would say is, ability to understand our industry and resolve our problems, and understand what's critical to us and respond to that. Those are definitely important features that we are looking for from vendors.

I would rate Dynatrace, right now, about eight out of 10. There are a few features that we are really looking to get, and I'm having discussion with sales about that on a regular basis. Once we see those - those are our minimal set of requirements - I would be really happy.

More Dynatrace reviews from users
...who compared it with AppDynamics
Learn what your peers think about Dynatrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.