IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Review

It is customer-centric and has support for multi-layered protocols, but it needs better integration and GUI

What is our primary use case?

We use it in the banking services domain. We have many devices and interfaces from different vendors. To perform monitoring, we have deployed NetCool at the high-level architecture. We have 50 lines of business (LOB), and we are using NetCool as a central point. It acts as an event manager. For each and every LOB, we deploy other monitoring tools, and from there, we collect all the events and point them to NetCool.

We are using NetCool/Impact for ticketing into BMC Remedy. We are now bringing out apps on top of NetCool for predictive analytics. They would be useful for predicting what is going to happen in the future and perform historical analysis of all those things.

What is most valuable?

It is customer-centric. Customers can access the event list from their location or desktop and view the event. There is no need to go and connect to any other server and run events to have a view of all the events happening in the environment. We get a good response from customers about this feature and the main architecture of NetCool.

Its processing is very good. Deduplication and correlation functionalities are good in this solution as compared to other solutions.

A big advantage of NetCool is that it also supports multi-layered protocols. We can receive multiple events from different protocols like UDP, HTTP, and those events can be captured in NetCool.

What needs improvement?

Its integration could be better. They should provide an easier integration for all the monitoring stuff, and it will make things easier for us. Currently, there is a complexity in integrating it with a vendor application, and we have to use another tool to integrate it with a vendor application. To integrate some applications with NetCool, I need to install an IBM tool on top of it. It would be good if they can provide an API or any kind of interface that we can leverage while developing a new protocol interface or application. We should be able to use an API or interface with NetCool.

Its GUI can also be better. As compared to other tools, it is not user friendly, and it is not easy to do stuff through GUI. Whenever we do anything on the GUI, it takes time. They need to focus on the GUI part, especially the dashboard. They should focus on how users can effectively drill down from one box to another. The visual appeal of the dashboard is as important as the data and functionality.

I have been using this solution for the past 20 years.

It is a very stable product.

It is very scalable. I can add multiple components according to my requirement. We have a lot of users of this solution.

They provide good support. I worked as a solution consultant for IBM two years ago.

It is quite easy to install. In terms of process, it took us a month because we need to have a CR in place for each environment before doing any installation or upgrade.

Its license cost is a little bit more than other solutions. Our customers expect a standard market price that is comparative to other products. For each and every NetCool OMNIbus component, we have to purchase a separate license. These components are not free with the product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for event monitoring. I would advise using AI apps or other tools on top of it for predictive analytics. You need to have a solution on top of it as a central solution to manage everything.

Based on my analytical background and a lot of experience, I would rate IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus a six out of ten.

8.1.6
More IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, BMC and others in Event Monitoring. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.