K2 Review

A low-code solution that saves a lot of time and resources and has the best workflow engine and SmartObjects technology

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using K2 Five classic. We have several use cases. The main use case is the vendor request. We process all requests that come in from existing or new vendors through K2. Our legal department uses it for checklists and other things. The approval process, onboarding, and all other related things are also done through K2. It is used for onboarding, termination, suspension, access, and many other things. All these things are automated.

How has it helped my organization?

It is for process automation, and it saves a lot of time and resources. Some of the things used to take weeks, and now they can be done in days and hours. Previously, we needed a spreadsheet, and now everything is done through a form. Everything is automatic, and eventually, the returns are pretty good.

What is most valuable?

The workflow engine of K2 is its main strength. Its workflow engine is probably one of the best, and that's the reason why Nintex bought K2. It can clearly handle any complex process or scenario.

K2 is almost low-code. It is a no-code or low-code solution. You don't have to read a whole lot of code. It is pretty much GUI based. Their support is also excellent.

The biggest advantage of K2 is SmartObjects, which allow you to separate the data from the application. It is a standalone application that allows you to build a data source from different places, which a lot of other applications also do. It is called SmartObjects technology, which is pretty powerful. If I have data from different applications, such as JD and ServiceNow, I can just create a SmartObject based on a data source and use it. I have some forms that have six, seven, or eight applications in a single form with data from different places.

What needs improvement?

K2 is a workflow solution, and there is no RPA solution with K2. This is where K2 lacks a little bit. It is just a heavy workflow solution. It doesn't have a supplemental product like RPA. If you want to use RPA, you have to use Blue Prism, UIPath, or something else. If you use Nintex, it has an RPA solution.

It is a form-based application, and they are doing everything electronically. The initial investment in K2 is heavy because it is a BPM software. It does not have a low cost because they charge you the same for one workflow or 100 workflows.

I have been using this solution for seven years. I also used to work for K2.

It is used across the board. Almost everyone in the accounting department uses this solution. We also have a bunch of different legal departments, and they also use it. It is being used from the bottom to all the way up. When someone submits a request, it can go to the VP and all the way up. Because it is an approval process, it depends on how high it goes.

Their support is excellent.

The on-premises setup was fairly complex four years ago because we had to build the servers. You have to build test servers, staging and production environments, and all kinds of stuff. When you go for the cloud solution, you don't have to maintain any of those, which is why we are moving to the cloud solution. Our initial investment was quite a bit, and we're trying to move to the cloud solution.

The initial investment in K2 is heavy. Currently, the expenditure is $28,000 for a year. After we go to the cloud, it is going to be per seat and probably cheaper. Currently, there are unlimited users.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate K2 an eight out of ten as a BPM solution.

More K2 reviews from users
...who compared it with Nintex Workflow
Learn what your peers think about K2. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.