New Relic APM Review

Reasonably priced, straightforward to set up, and performs as expected

What is our primary use case?

We use New Relic APM to monitor our public cloud-hosted application and infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

Not so far. Although, we haven't really got a very mature system of defining our application processes from end-to-end and certainly not our client-centric impact.

I'm reasonably satisfied. We haven't run the rule over it too much because it hasn't been a massive investment.

It has been quite valuable to demonstrate how we can change our views for our services due to their service. It has proved value so far.

What is most valuable?

We don't have any problems with this solution.

The configuration isn't terrible when compared with other products.

It does everything we wanted it to do. We haven't been too critical in our thinking about where it can improve.

What needs improvement?

There really is nothing that stands out with New Relic. With the insight, I think it will be found lacking for its report aggregation capabilities. How granular I could go down at looking at certain data, especially related to the operations, is limited.

The API integrations that they have for us to automate our configuration was fine, but I think for some of these tools, it was over-engineering for us to try and automate any of that. So, we just use the user interfaces.

I have been using New Relic APM for approximately two months.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. We have not encountered any issues. We're not plugging too much traffic into it. We're not reporting on it heavily. It's not feeding into our service management processes heavily. So we haven't seen anything.

We have not yet explored the scalability, it's too early for us.

There are approximately 15 of us using it altogether. We are called infrastructure engineers, who are third line infrastructure support and architecture people.

Some of the lead developers have access, but there are 15 of us and we are all pretty similar.

We have not contacted technical support.

We have two custom in-house processes that do our application data flow monitoring. We have manually and in a custom nature, built out a performance monitoring platform in Splunk using our knowledge of the system over the years.

I have used App Dynamics in the past with another company. There really is nothing that stands out with New Relic. It is similar to AppDynamics and Dynatrace.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I don't think any of these tools are tools that anyone can pick up and install.

I wouldn't say it was any more difficult to configure than some of the other solutions. It is definitely not more difficult to configure than AppDynamics.

The price was one of the reasons we chose this solution. It's reasonably priced. It's cheaper than the likes of AppDynamics and Dynatrace, based on how our subscription is.

We looked at Datadog initially and found the initial setup to be far more complex than what we found in New Relic.

What other advice do I have?

Our proof of concept has been successful.

Getting an order in and reporting is an industry in itself, don't think it can solve the problems it's not trying to solve. It is an application performance monitoring tool. Don't try and make it anything else.

The big problem with Splunk for us is that it can do everything. The thing that's nice about New Relic is it doesn't try and do everything, it does what it does. So far, it does it to satisfaction, but don't try and fill multiple holes in your toolchain with it. It's good at what it does.

We had some pretty informed opinions on what it was going to do. We knew where it wanted us to get, and so far it has cost the amount we wanted it to cost and done everything that we wanted it to do.

I would rate New Relic APM a ten out of ten.

More New Relic APM reviews from users
...who compared it with Datadog
Learn what your peers think about New Relic APM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.