New Relic APM Review

We have custom insights dashboards – massive screens with all this information aggregated. There were some CSS issues where sometimes the CSS wasn’t rendering, but they seem to have overcome those.

Valuable Features

Debugging tools, as we’re huge on this. Being able to drill down into what’s actually going on with our stack, being able to see the performance issues, where our bottlenecks are.

We do continuous deployment and delivery. One of the things that’s useful is to be able to detect when we deploy bugs and issues into the live platform – error reports are hugely useful.

Throughput, apex, those kinds of things, so we can always see what’s going on. The New Relic Browser also gives us the front-end reporting, versus APM on the back-end.

Improvements to My Organization

Speed to issue resolution – making sure our stack is healthy. If someone reports an issue we’ll always go to New Relic first; that’s where it becomes a good product in and of itself. It gives us all the information we need in one place.

A few issues in the past; there were some CSS issues where sometimes the CSS wasn’t rendering, but they seem to have overcome those. I’ve never experienced downtime which is impressive.

We use the APM scalability tools; more so in the past. Now we’re in the cloud we can see how the stack performs. We use some of the graphing to see at what point we’ll hit bottlenecks, and the in-depth reporting to identify weak points.

We’ve used it a couple of times. They’re great. They follow up with us as well, which is nice and quite unusual.

It was already in production, but I have done it in the past elsewhere. It’s so straightforward it’s ridiculous.

Other Advice

I like the solution so much I haven’t necessarily tried other products and don’t need or want to. Ask if the solution has the main features your stack needs. Does it support your languages, frameworks?