New Relic APM Review

We can see how deployments affect the application, both good and bad. And although it constantly aggregates data so it’s not a real-time indication, they recognize and are looking to solve the issue.

Valuable Features

The overview itself provides us clear visibility of how applications are doing, and provides us our response times, data rates, and Apdex score.

Improvements to My Organization

We’re able to see how deployments are affecting the application, both good and bad. APM surely shows us the change in behavior. It lets us know how our application is doing. A lot of our information comes from trouble tickets, and we can correlate back to APM to see what’s going. It’s not so accurate, but it has to do with the data integration, but New Relic has said that it’ll give more data points and real-time data.

Room for Improvement

We always talk about, what is the data missing from New Relic? It constantly aggregates data so it’s not a true indication of how our application is doing. It’s not real-time. That was my concern, but after data presented by their CEO at Futurestack, they announced that they recognize the issue and are looking into solving it.

For New Relic in general, the mobile site doesn’t have single sign-on for iOS.

I haven’t noticed any issues. There may have been a couple of instances two years ago when New Relic stopped reporting data, but nothing that I know of since then.

We are using APM to use capacity planning, and the info we get has been able to help us.

We had an issue two years ago, and they were responsive and solved the issue.

I wasn't involved in the setup.

Other Advice

It loses points because our applications are running on Ruby on Rails, and our tech stack is not up to date, so there are some glitches integrating with APM. I'd like to see a fix for that.

Other than that, just go for it, you won’t regret it.