New Relic APM Review

The Insights module creates a real-time dashboard on application performance to create awareness for the DevOps team.

Improvements to My Organization

With the help of New Relic APM, we managed to deliver an online B2B application with average response times below two seconds, where with v6, the average response times was about 30 seconds.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is the New Relic APM module to deep-dive into the application, to get bottlenecks to the surface, and to improve application performance. Also, the New Relic Insights module creates a real-time dashboard on application performance to create awareness for the DevOps team.

Room for Improvement

They need to improve the alerting and dashboarding as these are the key features in DevOps.

Once we had stability issues when the New Relic agent was overwhelming the IIS process, but that was a long time ago. We spoke to New Relic, and they delivered an agent to fix the problem.

We've not had any issues scaling it. We work with Java, and the agent is easily implemented.

Many times, they have been of great help even though support is in America and we are in Europe; we get help within eight hours.

The support department has good technical knowledge and is customer-friendly. Even if you don't answer their follow-up questions, the issue is resolved.

The setup is really straightforward. Install a server agent on the operation system, and install an application agent in the application.

Implementation Team

We developed in-house and also maintain the developed application.

ROI

I don't have actual numbers, but as we improved the quality of the application, we received less incidences compared to applications without New Relic.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

New Relic is either free with low retention and minimal functionalities, or expensive with full options and retention. I suggest a pricing between.

Other Solutions Considered

We did investigate other software, such as Ruxit and AppDynamics, but the price and quality of New Relic made us choose New Relic.

Other Advice

I think all online applications need to have APM software implemented to actually knów the performance state of the application.