New Relic Servers Review

It allows us to determine when and what we need to scale, instead of just chucking machines at layers and hoping it’s right. It would be nice, though, to have more granularity for metrics displayed.

What is most valuable?

I’ve gotten our teams to use New Relic to help them craft code that properly performs right out of the gate. It complements our user-acceptance testing where we can put in performance testing right away.

We also have better transparency, we can see bottleneck in resources (need more memory, CPU, etc.), we can catch problems such as full disks before they crash our server. We never had that type of insight before. It makes our Ops teams’ lives easy because they just get emails as to potential issues.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the ability to determine when and what we need to scale, instead of just chucking machines at layers and hoping it’s right. It all goes towards giving our customers the best experience possible.

What needs improvement?

When you look at disk monitoring, it would be cool to see which folders are gobbling most space, so that when we get a full-disk alert, we can go into our servers to purge that without downloading a separate tool to see what’s contending for hard disk space.

Also, it's really well put together, but it would be nice to have more granularity for metrics displayed so that ops team can see more holistically what’s happening.

There are no stability problems. There have been slow points where data loads slowly, but it can be solved just by clicking refresh. No problems with agents crashing or not reporting data. So no reason for me to worry about its stability.

I never have to worry about not collecting data, but probably the web portion might need a little bit of work.

It’s scaled to all our needs. We have apps for on-site and in-cloud, and it’s worked well for both. There’s no problem with scalability.

We haven’t had to reach out yet, and hopefully things keep going smoothly.

I was involved for another account, but it was very straightforward, couldn’t possibly be simpler. So easy.

What other advice do I have?

We looked at the ease of installation, how easy it is to get it put and running to see what’s happening on your machine.