Nintex Workflow Review

Reduces time spent on manual processes but did not scale with our usage

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we have different deals, each with a small number of workflow processes. They were primarily using email for approvals that followed. So, we replaced this with Nintex wherever possible. Through Nintex forms, we were able to customize these as well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us a lot, especially during the initial phase of a project where most of the things are done on paper. From our perspective, you can save at least thirty percent in terms of time spent on manual processes, and documenting approvals and process flows.

We are currently facing a lot of issues with Nintex, and we are trying to move away from this solution. In fact, we have already reduced its usage.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I found most valuable is the ability to impersonate the users so that high-level access to certain resources can be provided. For example, impersonating the super admin allows you to perform actions that cannot be performed by regular users, and they can be badged with this kind of action set.

Another thing that I like is the deeper loops, and also deeper schedules so that you can schedule a particular workflow to a particular type.

What needs improvement?

The timer jobs that we have would never run on time.

If you have a complex workflow, Nintex would just error out of it, without giving a "why" and "where". Error reporting is something that definitely needs improvement because most of the time it would just give a correlation ID or something. If there is a workflow issue then we don't know where it failed.

The Nintext Pause operation causes problems and so do the parallel use cases, so these also need improvement.

In the next version of the software, I would like to see a dashboard of all reports, the workflows that are running and their statuses. That would be helpful.

Five to six years.

Initially, the product was very stable, but as our usage grew, the issues also increased. This may be a problem with our environment, but in any case, we are now at a point where we are trying to move away from Nintex.

I would rate the scalability a six out of ten.

We have approximately fifty thousand users, right from the VP to the workshop people.

I would rate their technical support a four out of ten. We never get the right solutions. Most of the time we get generic answers that are not to the point.

Nintex was chosen as the first option.

The initial setup was straightforward. During the trial, I had installed it myself. The installation was not a problem at any time.

The deployment and maintenance team is approximately four people. We have three environments, and four people handle the deployments and batch updates.

We have seen ROI.

We did evaluate other options, with one of them being K2. We had seen a few reviews and consulted with Microsoft as well. Based on everyone's answers we chose Nintex.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution for mid-scale deployment and mid-scale usage, but as the usage increases, the issues along with it also increase.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.