OpsGenie Review

Provides a completely automated system with good integration and stability

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring and interim management are the two main features for which we are using OpsGenie.

We have an infrastructure with around 400 plus critical nodes that we are monitoring. They are scattered across various geographies and include on-premise switches, servers, other devices, and a few cloud services. There are 10 to 20 engineers who monitor it.

We also do total remediation of our own. If something is broken, we'll try to fix it through our software.

The use cases also vary depending upon the client's requirements while designing a solution. We are a kind of service provider. We have our own in-house cloud management software. Based on a client's needs, we evaluate and provide the inputs.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the reasons for implementing OpsGenie was to have a completely automated system where there is no need to monitor and call someone if something breaks down. Previously, manual intervention was required. If something went down, it had to be followed up with people and escalated. Now, it is a completely automated system. There is very little manual intervention.

Another reason for implementing OpsGenie was the integration of different alerts in one single console.

What is most valuable?

The integration feature is the most valuable. It provides a lot of customizations for the integrations we use.

What needs improvement?

OpsGenie needs to keep up with its competitors in terms of new features and pricing.

We have been using OpsGenie for almost two to three years.

It is very stable. We feel very good about this. We haven't had any issues or problems with production or operations.

We don't scale up at this moment.

Sometimes there was a delay from their side in providing a solution, and we didn't like it. I would rate them a seven out of ten in terms of support.

We had completely person-driven or manual management. We had other open-source tools as well for monitoring, but now, we have integrated everything into OpsGenie.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It is like plug and play. It took three to four hours to go live.

We took care of the implementation on our own. In terms of the implementation strategy, we first tested and evaluated it with our lower environment and then re-upgraded directly to the broad environment. It was very straightforward. We didn't have to plan something very complex.

We have seen a return on our investment with OpsGenie. Compared to things like reporting where we used to spend a lot of money, the cost reduction is 20% plus.

Now, we are one centralized team in one place. We don't have a service management team all across the bases, and there's a reduction in headcount as well. We have been able to reduce almost six full-time employees.

From the pricing perspective, they are on the higher side as compared to other competitors.

We did not really evaluate. OpsGenie was endorsed by one of our other companies and that's why we went with it. We were already using a couple of Atlassian products like JIRA, JIRA Help Desk. The integration with these products is very seamless. That's why we went for OpsGenie.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. We never faced any issues in managing this. You can definitely go for OpsGenie if it suits your environment. It's not only about the features and money. You should also feel comfortable with the product.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. Every product can have some improvements. We have been using it for almost two to three years in this company. There might be some new features, or other products, like PagerDuty, might have already improved over OpsGenie in terms of the features.

Private Cloud