Oracle Database Review

Great performance, very scalable, very stable, and easy backups

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for different applications. We are using it for our data warehousing, ERP, and EBS systems.

What is most valuable?

I found the ease of backup, partitioning, and robust indexing most valuable. The main feature of Oracle is the structure of the database. The way your backups are taken on the online backup system and the way it restores and handles partitioning of your data are also valuable. Its performance is great, and it is also very flexible.

What needs improvement?

It should have flexible licensing across different platforms. It has got different licensing models for Intel Power and SPARC servers.

I have been using this solution for more than 15 years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. You can start with a small server, and you can scale it up by just increasing your licenses.

In terms of the number of users, for our data warehouse, there is only one application user. Other users interact with the database through the application. After you log onto the application, the application logs in to the database with a single user ID.

Oracle technical support is a bit tricky. They want you to first use all the available resources, such as the online knowledge base and so on. After you have exhausted those, you can approach your technical person by logging in to the system.

We have used other database systems, such as MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server.

Its installation requires someone who actually knows the database setup, such as an Oracle DBA. For a production system, you would need an experienced person.

You first need to set up the environment such as servers, storage, etc. It might take you two days to set up the environment. The installation of the database might take you a day or two depending on the features that you want to add. If it is just a straightforward database, it would normally take a day. If you want to do partitioning and replication, it would take another two or three days.

I handle the installations. Its deployment and maintenance are minimal. You need three people: one specialist in hardware, one specialist in operating systems, and one specialist in database software.

You buy it initially, and then you pay for yearly support if you need support. If you don't need support, you can also use it without the support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate Oracle Database a nine out of ten.

19.6
More Oracle Database reviews from users
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.