Oracle Database Review

A robust multi-model database management system

What is our primary use case?

We developed some products, and most of them run in Oracle because our company is an Oracle partner. In fact, we're using Oracle and SQL Server, and I have more experience with that (SQL Server). But the main core of the company is more related to Oracle.

How has it helped my organization?

More robust product

What is most valuable?

I like that it's a robust product. It has very good features. One good feature is Oracle RAC because, in SQL Server, we don't have that. SQL Server has something similar (SQL Server AlwaysOn), but it's not the same stuff.

What needs improvement?

It's not very user-friendly, and it's a little complex. Another issue that I don't like is the licensing complexity. It's because of the SQL Server. We have several distinct editions, and I know that if I get the Enterprise Edition, I will have all the products. But with Oracle, I can get the Enterprise Edition, but if I need some kind of encryption, I need to pay more. If I need some kind of replication, I need to pay more, and so on. Every time my team needs some of this stuff, we have to ask Oracle. So, what's the point of the license?

I have been dealing with Oracle Database for more than 20 years.

I think it's a stable product, but we had to add some special patches in the past because of bugs in the product, especially on Oracle REX.

We always have support from Oracle.

The initial setup is more complex than SQL Server. SQL Server is very easy to set up and log in. Oracle is a little more complicated.

Oracle Database is expensive. We also need to buy additional products.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Oracle Database to potential users. But I would tell them that it depends on their main goal. It depends on how they want to use the database. They also have to consider the costs because Oracle is more expensive.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle Database an eight.

More Oracle Database reviews from users
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.