Oracle Database Review

It provides the ability to have portability for all the various databases, making things a lot more flexible in terms of availability and shortening the time of upgrades.

Valuable Features

I think the most valuable feature of Oracle 12c is the ability to have portability for all the various databases. You didn't used to have that option and that functionality, so that's made things a lot more flexible in terms of availability, and shortening the time of doing upgrades, and things like that. I really like the flexibility.

Improvements to My Organization

I'm not quite sure exactly how long we've been using it, but in my experience, it's certainly provided us a lot more flexibility to do various things from an organizational perspective because of the database portability. It's a high-cohesion solution in terms of different applications and tools that are available to work with it.

Room for Improvement

Oracle is already working on improvements and in the process of adding new features, such as cloud support. It's just a matter of getting the resources to obtain and use them, and to build our existing system on top of it. I look forward to that.

Use of Solution

I've been using Oracle for about six or seven years, and I've been using 12c in the last couple of years.

We didn't have any issues with deployment.

12 seems to be a little bit more stable than 11 used to be, although, knock on wood, we still use a little bit of 11.

We haven't had to do a whole lot of scaling. It's been pretty static in terms of our utilization of it. For any scaling we've had to do, it's scaled to our needs.

They're knowledgeable, proactive. It helps working in a enterprise environment as opposed to working for smaller shops that they don't get that same type of attention.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

Other Advice

It's the way to go. It's the cutting edge, but it's not the bleeding edge, and you can certainly build upon it.