Oracle Database Review

There's a large set of commands in PL/SQL so you can read things in and read things out much more easily than you can do in SQL.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

Oracle Database, particularly PL/SQL, is a staple product for getting information out and putting information in. You can take those tools and put them in another environment. It's easy to use and makes the decision to move to another version a no-brainer.

Room for Improvement

There were issues that arose from a recent upgrade. These issues, however, were quickly resolved before we moved onto a subsequent upgrade.

Use of Solution

I've been using the PL/SQL extension for Oracle Database since the early 90's.

We had those issues from the upgrades, but, again, they were resolved before we moved to the next upgrade.

There are some enhancements that have been made to the database, especially PL/SQL. It changes as the product changes. It's not that difficult to find out what those changes are and keep up in order to maintain stability.

There are commands that you can include in your SQL to make sure you've got enough workspace to do what you need to do.

I've used it for so long that I haven't needed to contact them. I haven't run into an issues where I haven't been able to get data out from or put data into the database. I am, however, still learning some feature of PL/SQL, for which I'm using Oracle's Ask Tom a lot. I've found that this Oracle support site is very helpful for reviewing documentation to figure out what I'm missing from my own knowledge.

The initial setup wasn't too complex, although there were the modifications with upgrades that caused some issues. Again, these issues were resolved prior to our next upgrade.

Other Advice

The system does what you tell it to do; it doesn't necessarily do what you want it to do. You have to really ground yourself in education before you are safe working with the tools. The tools are very powerful, but at the same time, there are rules behind what it does and you have to know what they are.