Oracle Database Review

Valuable Features

For me as a DBA, the most important features are the partitioning option, active data guard, and security options. All of these are very useful for my daily workflow.

Improvements to My Organization

Oracle Database is the core of our enterprise information system, which I maintain.

Room for Improvement

I think Oracle 12c has a lot of new functionality that has never been in the previous versions I work with, 8i to 11g, for example, master-slave architecture where you can plug and run multiple databases from a single master database as well as the ability to create a container database (CDB) that contains all the Oracle-level data and data dictionary.

Use of Solution

I have used it since 2000, so more than 15 years.

All the issues I dealt with during deployment have been related to other applications and not the Database itself. All of the issues were fixed by programmers during the deployment and test implementation phases.

All the issues I dealt with in regards to instability have been related to other applications and not the Database itself. All of the issues were fixed by programmers during the deployment and test implementation phases.

All the issues I dealt with in scaling it have been related to other applications and not the Database itself. All of the issues were fixed by programmers during the deployment and test implementation phases.

Oracle has an excellent knowledge base and, using this, I fixed over 90% of issues myself.

I have experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and 2012, but my main activity is Oracle RDBMS.

Initial setup steps are very straightforward and clearly set out in the documentation.

Implementation Team

I have experience with implementation both through a vendor team and in-house. I would strongly recommend to have a very clear understanding of how an applied system works because the most issues you will have to deal with are with the applied logic, and not with the Database itself.

ROI

It depends on applied information system and what kind of RDBMS features and options have been used by your development team or by the vendor.

Other Advice

If you want to have a high-performing, stable, secure, and scalable system, you will choose Oracle Database.