Oracle Database Review
The advantage of using Oracle's RDMS solution is that it is integrated with Oracle's other products, including our ERP and EPM solutions.

What is most valuable?

The best aspect of Oracle Database is that it allows integration of our ERP and EPM suite of applications and databases. It's integrated tightly together, and we prefer that, as we think it's best to stick with a single vendor as much as possible to avoid dealing with multiple vendors in case of any issue. We can scale it up, upgrade and it is supported by Oracle's customer support program. It is secure and reliable, which gives us peace of mind. If we went with a third-party tool, there's always the issues of compatibility. If we do upgrades and there are issues, we'd have to talk to both the third-party vendor and Oracle.

I think that avoiding complications and compatibility issues is the biggest advantage of keeping our Oracle ERP and EPM products together. I work with a lot of the compatibility settings, and Oracle has done a great job with the matrix inter-dependencies and patch-up ligation. For example, I just upgraded our Hyperion system so I had to got through all the settings and configurations for databases, browsers, Java, OS, and servers. I, as an administrator, have to have enough technical knowledge to understand all the inter-dependencies.

That's the advantage of using Oracle's RDMS solution -- we can use other Oracle products.

What needs improvement?

It needs a better, less technical interface. I'm not an expert on our RDBMS as we have our own database administrator, so especially on a Linux environment Oracle needs to make progress on the user-friendliness of the UI.

In my opinion, I've found Microsoft SQL Server to be more user-friendly than Oracle Database. Even though the latter is more complex, more robust, and has more capacity, from a user perspective, especially those who are naive or functional, it needs to be more user-friendly.

I've asked my DBA to do something for me so I can try to learn from him, but if it were more user-friendly with a more graphical implementation that tells you all the variation criteria and failure messages, that would be much better.

We've had no issues deploying it. It's quite simple.

It's quite stable for being capable of doing so many things. It's powerful, fast, reliable, and secure.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

What other advice do I have?

You should consider whether you're going to go physical or virtual, Windows or Linux, etc. You should do your due diligence and know what you want.

We decided to put Essbase and Database on Linux. We put everything else on Windows, the reason being that our databases needed more resources and liability. Linux provides more security for databases, and it's a more robust setup for a Linux admin. So be sure to consider this before jumping into an implementation of the Oracle RDBMS solution.

1 Comment