Oracle Database Review

It has been around forever, so the scalability is the most valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

Of course, it has been around forever, so the scalability of Database is, in my experience, the most valuable feature. The fact that there's so many applications written for it is great. We've seen others who have used other databases, but they don't have nearly the suite of applications and APIs to work with as RDBMS has.

How has it helped my organization?

It is such a mature product with the ability to handle many things. The newer version, 12c, has some features that people have been asking for. It was the same way going from 10 to 11 to 12, as they always seem to be listening to the customers and adding in some more features that they need.

What needs improvement?

With Oracle, the complexity of Database makes it a little bit more cumbersome. You're going to generally have more of a senior DBA to handle the intricacies when you get a large, very high, and intensive database that needs to be up all the time. You have to have a little bit more expertise in there.

We've had no issues deploying it, but, again, it requires expert administration from a more senior DBA.

Usually, you don't see any stability issues, but that really depends on the level of expertise of the DBA handling it.

There are no scalability issues, so long as the DBA is experienced.

The more expertise you have, the more the interfaces and UI become straightforward and easier to use in the initial setup.

If you look at the price point with it and how they structure the licensing, it is definitely going to be one of the more expensive ones. You do get everything with it because they throw everything in with the kitchen sink. If they could pare down the solution, then you could just choose the pieces that you want and maybe pricing might be a little bit more along the lines of what customers could use. It is definitely on the more expensive side.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of scalability, make sure it's going to be what you need. Know exactly what purpose you're going to be using your database for. I'm one of the few people who knows a lot of different kinds of databases and which is best for what you want to do.