Oracle Database Review

It increased operational efficiency manifold, as it offers lot of features automating operations, and faster failover mechanisms.

Valuable Features

• Online RMAN backup & restoration
  • Active High Availability i.e. real application cluster
  • Disaster recovery solution (physical and logical standby)

Improvements to My Organization

It increased operational efficiency manifold, as it offers lot of features automating operations, and faster failover mechanisms (i.e. almost zero data loss) with smaller RTO and RPO, helping Business Continuity.

Room for Improvement

It’s easy to find performance bottlenecks, I would prefer it to have a faster read time performance, especially considering read performance of NoSQL systems nowadays.

Use of Solution

I’ve used it for seven years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We've experienced no issues with performance.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Their tech support it good.

Oracle Database was found to be the most mature solution, in terms of features it offers. Hence, we chose this.

I would rate it mediocre, as it requires knowledge of operating systems and servers. Some people find it difficult due to the lack of OS knowledge.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house. You need to do your homework, and read the standard documents thoroughly before proceeding with setup.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is on the higher side, so it’s better for big enterprises. However, small and medium business can explore cheaper versions of the same product, which doesn’t offer all benefits of the enterprise version, but it will still be good enough compared to almost any other database solution.

Other Advice

Although it’s easy to operate, it needs expert hands, as it is different, and in fact better with a lot of features, compared to cheaper alternatives. So, good skills should be deployed to effectively use the features of the product for a better ROI.