RadView WebLOAD Review

It's a pretty strong product from a load-testing perspective, and easy to use.

What is most valuable?

From my perspective, the most valuable feature is the ability to test APIs. Another benefit is how the correlation engine turn a lot of the dynamic contents into variables. That's a real big thing for us.

What needs improvement?

It's a pretty strong product from a load-testing perspective, easy to use and you can actually get the tool up running fairly quickly. It would be great, in addition to the load tool, it would be nice, if Radview offered a JavaScript based functional test tool as well. That would be nice.

We have been using RadView since about 2003.

None

It's stable. It's a pretty quick and easy install, even when they added the analytical piece, before the reports were built into the console. It's still there, but they added a WebLOAD Analytics component, which actually stores metrics in a postgresql database. When they incorporated that into the tool, I didn't have any problems with the WebLOAD Analytics integration. It was a pretty quick install. You still get the reports in the console, as well, and it was pretty much up and running real quickly. It's fairly easy to use. Pretty simple. We didn't have any issues.

In order to scale up, it's really on the onus of the user of the product. We have a registration service for students, and we want to ensure that it would handle any registration loads. We pushed it to the target load, which is 3000 VCs, and we had to add more resources to the load machine, and also to the console component. We added more RAM and CPU in order to handle the target load, so we can drive it at the application test.

Technical support is responsive. To take it a step further, I've participated in several betas, including the first new-look redesign, so I got to see the product before it was actually introduced to the customers. They actually went back and made design changes based on my feedback. Back in 2003, they used to do recording at the protocol layer. Then they switched to the more interactive interface; both functional and load scripts, and decided to go back to the protocol layer recording. They added mobile, and they added a more robust correlation engine, so I got a chance to look at that, as well.

I made some suggestions to the new-look redesign as we went through beta, and they incorporated some of my feedback. Specifically, I suggested a change to the statistical-cause analysis component, and I thought they were very responsive.

There isn't any downtime because of upgrade installation. The only downtime is actually scheduling. Load tests are roughly 5% of what we do, and if we have to do an upgrade, it's more or less upgrading all of the machines. We have three Microsoft Windows load machines and three Linux software load machines and each one of our analyst has a console on their desktop. It's just scheduling the downtime on the machines, which really isn't too hard. Once you actually schedule the downtime, it installs pretty quickly. It's just that you have to upgrade all Radview machines, once you've moved to a new version of it, and all the components in the environment have to be upgraded to that version as well. It's just scheduling downtime in machines, and bringing it back up after the install has run. It's a very quick install.

RadView WebLOAD, HP LoadRunner, and other load tools pretty much provide the same metrics, but if you're in a situation where cost is an issue, then I would recommend the RadView tool because the other tools could be cost-prohibitive.

What other advice do I have?

It's less expensive than a lot of the load tools that are out there that perform the same task. It's a quick and dirty tool to get up and running really quickly. It's not like you have to do an awful lot of configuration. The analytics pack is probably one of the most powerful tools that I've seen. It's real powerful in terms of reporting.

There's also custom reports that you can build specifically for end user reporting, because that's what they really want. The person requesting the test wants to see analysis pretty quickly, and with WebLOAD Analytics you crank them out really quickly. Creating that customer report through analytics is pretty straightforward.