SAP IQ Review

​Sales and marketing need improving, but the product itself is the best in the industry.

Valuable Features

The column architecture.

Improvements to My Organization

Analytical reporting has improved.

Room for Improvement

Sales and marketing – I just want to elaborate on this a little bit more. The product itself is the best in the industry, which I liked and would like to work with again. IT has a lot less maintenance to support the database and query performance is best; it's very easy to use.

Use of Solution

Around 13+ years.

In older version of Sybase IQ we had a few issues, just like any other product, but as the maturity of the product has grown, we have had really good success with this product.

Not in the recent versions of Sybase IQ.

No issues encountered.

Customer service is great, as we have global support for this product from Asia, when we are working nights to fix problems or troubleshoot issues. They are with us all the time and it is a very good transition from US support to Asia and back as we try to solve the problems round the clock.

10/10.

I used Sybase ASE and Microsoft SQL server heavily as Microsoft started off based on Sybase ASE, I was really comfortable with it. In between we tried DB2 and Teradata in different occasions and we went back to Sybase IQ for our operational and Analytical needs

The initial setup at the very beginning of the early versions was a little complex but as time went on, it got better and better and very easy. As a DBA, supporting this system is the best.

Implementation Team

All my implementations are in-house for our company and we had group of DBA’s and Unix Administrators who helped us along. Our implementation was on Sun Solaris.

ROI

Very high, cost of implementing and maintain is very low and once installed and up and running, things will be just fine.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

This product is rightly priced, or even under priced, for what it can do and for sure costs much less than other RDBMS products and licensing. They have more than one model which could fit your organization size and they are more than happy to work with you on this.

Other Solutions Considered

• Oracle
  • DB2
  • Teradata

Other Advice

Come up with clear requirements and a problem statement and see what you are trying to solve with this new implementation. Look beyond current problems by at least three to five years and be proactive and addressing them. You also need your senior management to buy into your approach and budget constraints, otherwise it will be challenging to make it successful.