SAP IQ Review

Robust For Ad Hoc DW Queries But Multiplex Has Metadata Consistency Issues

What is most valuable?

It is very robust for ad hoc DW queries and its columnar compression is unique and valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization was using different RDBMs for data warehouse systems. There were obvious problems in terms of performance. Sybase IQ resolved all the performance problems we had at that time.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the backup options. There is no backup software support for Sybase IQ. You have to implement your own backup system. For large databases, you need to use disk backup solutions and it is very expensive.

Multiplex is very problematic. There are consistency problems in the metadata, meaning it is possible to lose metadata consistency. You should make sure you have healthy backups.

It is very hard to find which sessions cause a performance problem. It also has no resource manager to manage resources between consumers.

Over 15 years.

Early versions crashed frequently. Crashes (IQ freezes for no apparent reason and you have to restart it to resolve it) with the latest versions are rare.

Multiplex has some limitations and bugs. Although implementing MPX is easy, I cannot say it results in the expected scalability.

Six out of 10.

We used a different solution and then we switched to Sybase IQ. Now, because we are having some difficulties in terms of scalability, stability and performance, our DW system is being switched to a new solution again.

Both simplex and multiplex installation are very straightforward.

Negotiation is very important.

What other advice do I have?

Data, and getting insight from data, is very important when it comes to competing with your competitors. You have to be fast and agile, in terms of implementing a system and development, in order to get that data insight.