Saviynt Review

The way the tool is introduced to the user lacks industry standards and better learning resources

What is our primary use case?

We are using Saviynt for a wide range of things. That includes attestation, SoD (Segregation of Duty), analytics, requestee, ARS (Access Request System) platform, role entitlement, but other features as well. We are planning to pretty much use the full suite of tools.

What needs improvement?

As one of the leading IGA (Identity Governance & Administration) products and because of how I see this is the tool, I have to wonder how a client can fully maximize the capabilities of Saviynt. Surely the client needs to understand the tool to some extent. I think it is important that Saviynt services agents help to empower their clients to use their tools in a better way that is not being promoted at this time.

One thing — and it could be just a problem in the APEC area — it that there is a lack of resources for independent learning. I have to spend quite a bit of time in the Freshdesk area to study in order to understand a feature, what other people are saying about it, et cetera. I find that I can not really get to understand the features that I am exploring quickly enough and in enough depth. The company I am working for is doing a project with Saviynt. My role is project/BAU (Business as Usual). Once everything is deployed in a proper way, I will be the person running it as a BAU resource.

For an example of the learning that is absent, one thing I wonder about is the campaign module. Part of a campaign is to determine a risk score. The risk score is to be determined by the role as far as the entitlement for that role. I was hoping to have some kind of Saviynt-as-a-Service provide best practice governance where they could advise the client on how the risk score can be implemented in the tool. It is not obvious, and they do not provide that guidance.

A tool like this can work for the client only if they have that standard governance in place. If not, they will not be able to leverage the experts in the field while working with so many clients. Saviynt has to work for their clients and so does the competition, like SailPoint. These users have different tools to do similar things and they will have a lot of exposure to different use cases. But still, there will be some common ground that should be addressed as standards. Some of those governance questions become very important in order to stay within an expected standard. If Saviynt can provide a framework for working with these standards with their tool, I think that would be quite helpful.

Because different people are working together with clients in a company and using different tools, when we are in that situation, people using different tools have to speak the same language. Assuring that product users follow some best practice recommendations can help with that. In turn, we can uplift our standards and policies and strategies to align better with other people doing IGA.

It is not really the tool itself, but the way it is introduced to the user or used by the user that is my issue with the product.

We have been using Saviynt since May of 2020. So that is for about four months.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I might give to someone who is new to Saviynt is to be aware of Freshdesk. It is the community area for Saviynt users. It is good to have that community as there will be people wondering about the same questions and it makes it easier to find out the answer.

One thing I noticed about other popular products like SAP or Microsoft Azure, is that when there is a large user-base you can Google a question and most likely you will find the answer somewhere. Saviynt's profile and usage is still expanding. It is not always so easy that you can just Google a question to find your answer. Freshdesk can provide a way to fill that gap.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate my experience with Saviynt so far as maybe only a four-out-of-ten. This is my personal ranking from what I have experienced with the product. Be mindful that the rating reflects that I am in the process of discovering the tool. For example, one of the key selling points of Saviynt is the SoD module, which we have not deployed yet. I can only provide feedback on what I know to date. I think SoD is going to be a really important feature and I look forward to when it will be deployed in our environment. At that stage the rating may change.

More Saviynt reviews from users