Sophos Mobile Review

Complicated setup, poor tech support but some solid features

What is our primary use case?

We were attempting to safeguard corporate data as it leaves our walls. We already have encrypted laptop hard drives, so we were trying to extend that to cell phones for One Drive, Outlook, and One Note. All that is corporate data. And if you lose your cell phone or somebody steals it or you dump it in the toilet or any number of things that could happen to your cell phone, we want to be able to block access, delete the corporate data, do all those things that good security people are supposed to do.

What is most valuable?

In terms of valuable features, we liked the lock feature, the roll-out white feature, and the find feature. I think that Sophos had a GPS locator, so you could figure out where the phone was from a GPS location.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, the initial configuration and setup of the environment could probably be made a little bit easier. There are so many pieces that go into it. Intune is absolutely insane and Sophos is better, but it still is a bit complex to get it all set up correctly because you need to have certain certificates for Apple in order for you to connect to their device. And then you've got to have policies for this and rules for that and it is very complicated. We eventually get there, but their wizards just keep asking you questions, "Well, I don't know what that is." It's like, "Why do I need that?" Or "Where does that come from?" It's just so much.

I would like to have seen them, like several other packages I've seen, give you a set of basic rules and policies that most people use, so that in 10 minutes I could have the environment set up and have basic protection.

For most of the mobile device management, you pop the box and you've got to figure out what your policy is going to be, what your rules are going to be, and what software are you going to use. Are you going to do the full phone or a container? You've got to go figure out all these things because nobody tells you anything. My experience is that even after reading manuals and trying to figure out what pieces of data go where, or checking the support website, then you go look at the wizard or the interface, and it's different. They described things differently. There's a piece of data that you need that's required that the documentation doesn't say that is supposed to go in there. And it just drives me insane when the documentation doesn't exactly match what I'm looking at on the screen.

We have been using Sophos Mobile for the last 12 months.

I called their technical support on occasion, but calling tech support is like pulling teeth or having a root canal. It's painful because you have to go through level one and you explain in excruciating detail exactly what your problem is. And then they write it all down and they give you a support case number. And then they have to pass it on to level two. Who knows what their technical acumen is, because level one can't fix the problem. Then they have to pass it on to level two. And it's not, "Hold the phone a minute and I'll go get this person for you." It's hang up and they'll call you when they get to you.

It's absolutely terrible. Like I said, I've been in the business for a long time so I do not call tech support until I'm really, really stuck or it's really, really broken. And it's offensive to me to have to go through a level one and answer juvenile questions of stuff I've already done and not even be able to speak to a level two or an actual engineer about fixing my problem. I could get it fixed in five minutes if they just let me have a phone call.

The initial implementation was done by me and I'll tell you why. It's money. Budgets are extremely tight right now, especially with this COVID stuff that's been going on. I don't have the luxury of a budget to spend a thousand dollars on a consultant to come in and do stuff that I have the technical capability to do. So if I spend money on a license, I've got to be able to handle the configuration. Plain and simple.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Sophos Mobile a four.

They need to make it easier.

I've been in this industry for 30 years, so I'm not stupid by any manner of means. But like most IT personnel, I've got more on my plate than I can shake a stick at. I don't have time to spend the three or four days to read volumes of support articles and figure out configurations and then mess with the GUI and screw it up and have to figure out how to fix it and how to push out rules that I really need. I don't have time to do all that. So the easier they can make an out of the box solution, the better. I suppose I could delegate it to somebody, but they are busier than I am. So it's the same situation.

Other
More Sophos Mobile reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft Intune
Find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Microsoft, VMware and others in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.