Trend Micro Smart Protection Review

Amazing product with DLP, vulnerability management, and application whitelisting features

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator, and we sell Trend Micro solutions. We are also using Trend Micro solutions for our internal IT. We use this solution for endpoint protection (EPP). We also use it for server protection.

What is most valuable?

Product-wise, it is amazing. It includes DLP, vulnerability management, and application whitelisting features. These features are very good and add value in selling this solution to our customers. These features make the key selling point. I recently did a comparison with the FireEye firewall for a customer. They were basically going to replace Trend Micro with their EDR. Because of these features, I could convince the customer that Trend Micro is better than FireEye.

What needs improvement?

Documentation-wise, they are a disaster. If you want to know something about Trend Micro, you will not find anything useful from Trend Micro themselves. You have to basically dig some blog, or you need to seek some expert to help you understand what they are offering. I have never seen such a good product with such disastrous documentation.

Feature-wise, almost all vendors are providing the same features, but it is all about the integration. For example, Trend Micro is promoting their endpoint protection suite, but they never mention about the integration that they are offering with their EDR solution. They are treating each product as a separate island, and you don't know much about their integration. It would be good if they can focus on integration.

I have been selling Trend Micro products for three years.

Our customers are satisfied with the product in terms of stability and scalability.

In the local market, I don't see any Trend Micro technical guy supporting anywhere. I am not aware if they have a technical team in Saudi Arabia.

I work at the design level. I have never installed the product, but based on my understanding from our deployment team, it is pretty much easy to install. They find it very good and don't have any difficulty in the installation and configuration of this solution.

Its price is fine. Price-wise, it is competitive with any other vendor.

What other advice do I have?

In Saudi Arabia, we are only selling on-premises models. The customers mostly request for the on-premises model, not the cloud model, due to the regulation issues. As per government regulations, we cannot send our data to anything outside Saudi Arabia. That's why the possibility is only to use on-premises products.

Trend Micro Smart Protection is basically the number one endpoint protection platform that I propose to my customers. As a solution architect, I would recommend Trend Micro Smart Protection.

I would rate Trend Micro Smart Protection a nine out of ten. It just needs more integration and more explanation about the product.

More Trend Micro Smart Protection reviews from users
...who compared it with Symantec Norton 360 [EOL]
Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Smart Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
513,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.