Yammer Review

A tool to develop online communities. The user experience could be improved.

What is most valuable?

I did not really find many valuable features. It was a tool to develop communities wherein we could carry out some good discussions within defined groups.

Otherwise, it was meant to act as more of a social media communication tool. It never achieved good adoption globally. Most of the functionality lay dormant for most of my tenure there.

How has it helped my organization?

It was reasonably good at creating online communities of interest. There were some super users who enjoyed having that space to share details of various projects. However, it was mostly slow, clunky, and frustrating to use.

What needs improvement?

The user experience could be improved. It needs more speed and interaction to drive its utility when streaming videos or performing uploads.

I used this solution at Kantar, the market research arm of WPP, for three and a half years.

There were no stability issues other than the generally slow speed of the tool.

There were no scalability issues.

I never used technical support.

I did not use a previous solution. I think that Facebook's Workplace or StaffConnect would have done the job in a more engaging and user-friendly manner. They would have driven more interaction between staff members.

The initial setup was pretty simple using a cloud-based interface. Administrator privileges were determined to manage, add, delete, and to do some monitoring.

Initially, Kantar was able to negotiate an incredible rate of £0.73 per user/per month prior to their acquisition by Microsoft. The price then escalated to £3.00 per user/ per month!!

We evaluated Jive. Based on the difference in price, we decided not to proceed.

What other advice do I have?

Research the market. There are more interesting products out there that have better UX and are more interactive and engaging.