Yammer Review

improves communication, especially among people in different countries

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is for workgroups. We already have some in place. Yammer is quite good.

How has it helped my organization?

Users can access their own workgroups and it improves the communication among people, particularly people who have the same task to perform in different locations, in different countries.

What is most valuable?

The integration with Microsoft Office and the fact that it is in the cloud. Also, it's quite easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a fancier user interface. That is one of the weak points of Yammer.

I haven't had any complaints from users about the availability of the system.

Scalability is good. The only point of concern we have is that you need to be registered in Active Directory, and that can limit usage. But apart from that, I think that we can grow with no particular issues.

As far as I know, we have not had any requests for support. We are able to manage it internally. I don't have any open requests for external support. However, I'm not the person who manages it.

We didn't use any workgroup tool before Yammer. We adopted Yammer because it was included in the Office 365 toolset.

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor, apart from the product being easy to use, accessible, cloud-based, include security - that is another big and important criterion for us - and, finally, the ability to reach people who are not in our Active Directory domain.

The initial setup was not that easy because of managing the tenant in Office 365. The migration to that tenant for countries that are not in the same domain was not easy, the domain synchronization. Managing the forest of different domains was not as simple as expected.

Specifically, my search was related to a tool for employees to communicate to all employees; not really for work-grouping, but more related to one-way communication, top-down, from the HR people to the employees. The point is how to reach people which are not IT or IS users. Not all our employees are IT users and we need to communicate with them through their own devices, typically their smartphones.

Yammer and Facebook were the only choices on our shortlist.

What other advice do I have?

Look closely at the Office 365 context you are in, and be sure that the accessibility or the availability of the system will be spread as much as possible throughout the organization.

I would rate Yammer at eight out of 10 because it's good, it works, it's reasonably easy to use. But, again, the weak point would be that the user interface is not as fancy as people are used to having, like when using social networks. It is less social network-oriented than Facebook, for instance, in terms of ease of use and user interface. And again, there is the point that users need to be in the Acting Directory to exploit the features.