Yammer Review

Simple setup but it adds to the complexity of using existing tools

What is our primary use case?

I just wanted to try out the program to know what it was and how it works and if it could enhance our office communications.

What needs improvement?

I do not see the point of the product, and I do not like it to be honest. For example, one thing which I do not like overall with Microsoft products is that they are constantly changing them. The issue with that is that most of the updates and features which they are pressing users to adopt are not good or just not wanted or needed by the customers using the products.

As an example, we did an email migration. Some of our users had contacts that were linked with the Outlook linking feature. This is a newer feature in Outlook, and nobody wanted it in the first place. It just made things confusing by adding unwanted information automatically, and a new feature does not need to be confusing. It shoul be tested first, it should be optional, and the current software trend is to do public beta testing. One person in our company had something like 30 linked contacts — emails and full phone numbers which were not his actually his own contacts. In the migration, these contacts all showed up as his.

Microsoft has too many updates and they are updates that are not wanted. I could understand if updates were discussed or features are wanted, but Microsoft just throws things out there. In this case, they actually rolled back the feature some time after releasiung it. That should not be necessary and it just makes for further confusion. I think I am actually saying nothing new here, but lately almost every update which is coming out has some bugs or stops something else from working. Sometimes it is a driver problem, sometimes it is something else. But the frequency of the rollouts just increases the frequency of the bugs. It is not the best plan for software management.

I would say the whole experience was negative, so that is why we stopped using it.

We used the product recently for a short period of time less than a year ago.

We did not use it long enough to really do testing and evaluation of the stability.

It is enterprise software and was meant to be scalable. We never got to the point of rolling it out for the company.

I have contacted technical support and it was okay but not very helpful. Many times the support people can not actually do anything. If I call about a problem with a feature or a bug, they can not fix it over the phone. So yeah, maybe they are trying their best and they are polite, but if you call about an actual problem rather than how to use a feature, they can not really be of much help. The support guys were great, but the issue is that they are not magicians.

The initial setup was straight-forward. We were able to set it up on and we did it by ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Microsoft Yammer as a four-out-of-ten. It was probably not useless, but it was of no help for our company and our situation.

More Yammer reviews from users