Zabbix Review

Very user friendly, but needs more documentation to help understand how to use the product

What is our primary use case?

We are doing a project for telemetry but not just for IT. We are making a project for monitoring different parameters for radio communication sites, so we collect information about alarms and analog values, not specifically IT projects. We need an application that can collect SNMP traps and show on the screen and take an historical report or graph. We contract with Zabbix for companies that have Zabbix for telemetry. We are integrating the system to our communications systems. This system is used in mission critical applications for radio communications, police, firemen's, health, et cetera.

How has it helped my organization?

It has gave us one powerfull tool to develop monitoring systems tailored to customer needs and maintennance staf .

What is most valuable?

We have found that Zabbix is more easy to use than other applications.

What needs improvement?

There are not too much documentation or manuals. We found the tutorials very easy to understand but do not go deep enough in the use of Zabbix. We need more manuals, proper use, documentation, etc. We would like to see some applications or plugins that you can use to construct applications for use with Zabbix. For example, we are starting using Zabbix with Grafana for presentations and apparently they match very easily but you need to put in a lot of work to get the final results. If you have some applications that you can add one to one, you can construct the project more quickly.

Six months

Good after tune each module aplication and sensors data colection .

Great for our applications . We use with Graffana GUI application that supports gauges, bars , time related graphs and also maps .

The support is good. When we have something difficult to implement, we explain what the problems are and we get an answer quickly.

Many of our clients have an IT department and most of them work with WhatsUp Gold but some of them are starting using Zabbix and when we started this project for telemetry it was not specifically for IT. We found many examples using Zabbix. Apparently, Zabbix is more friendly user for not-IT people.

50% each . We bought it throug a vendor and he trained our in house engineers . Then we developed the system , supported by the vendor who also proveded us with most of the sensors ans data collect devices .

Local Vendor expertise is one of the most valuable advantage for quick answer to any problem . We can rate him as 9 of 10.

Start costs are very low , but you mast considere the costs of have trained an enthusistic people to develop and tune any application ant the time to invest . This also have a positive side : you can win experience to solve new chalenges that when you buy standar solutions focused in one market

I would rate Zabbix at a seven on a scale of ten.

We have some clients that have WhatsUp Gold but a few say they are oriented specifically for IT data centers, but that's not the orientation of this project. We need to decide to use either Zabbix or WhatsUp Gold. Some clients ask for WhatsUp Gold but most of the applications are not near to our needs. Some people are using Zabbix and recommend Zabbix. Now we need to compare both applications in order to decide what is the more efficient for our project.

What other advice do I have?

If you have IT monitoring needs , ask your IT System expert and probably he/she will opt for Whats Up gold , but if you need Monitoring Setveces besides IT and many assorted technologies , you can look at Zabbix

More Zabbix reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Nagios Core
Learn what your peers think about Zabbix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.