Zabbix Review
ZABBIX is a 'all-in-on' and 'true opensource' monitoring solution but needs needs improved reporting functions

Valuable Features

This software is the most powerfull monitoring tool that I know. Actually since 2005, when I started to work with ZABBIX, this software keeps growing and growing. Each new version ZABBIX SIA company (who maintain this software) delivers improvements and new features that help IT professionals to take care of their infrastructure. Some of the main features:
  • Automated network discover (ICs, servers, switches, routers, etc)
  • Automated item/metric discovery (partitions, network interfaces, users, databases, virtualhosts, etc)
  • Flexibility to 'learn' things (is trivial to extend ZABBIX features)
  • All things (historical data, configuration, etc) are in database
  • Automated inventory hosts (hardware and software)
  • Web monitoring (a robot to check websites)

ZABBIX is a 'all-in-on' monitoring solution. We don't need any other monitoring tool since we use ZABBIX.

Improvements to My Organization

Actually we are ZABBIX partners (premium and training) to Brazil and LatAm and our goal is to help other companies using ZABBIX.

Room for Improvement

I think ZABBIX needs improved report functions. Since ZABBIX version 1.8 we are using the ZABBIX API to integrate ZABBIX data with others tools (Pentaho, QlikView, etc.) when ZABBIX built-in reports are not enough.

Use of Solution

I've been using ZABBIX since 2005.

None.

None.

In some scenarios/projects we need to adjust ZABBIX components (agents, proxies, nodes, GUI, database, etc) in line with each one. What I mean is that we need to know ZABBIX and also know the customer's environment to have a successful deployment without stability and scalability issues.

Customer Service: ZABBIX SIA has almost 70 partners around the world and services are delivered in local customer languages :)Technical Support: ZABBIX SIA partners has levels (Reseller, Certified and Premium) and Premium partners are the best ones :)

Yes, we used a lot of other monitoring tools (6 at the same time with distinct functions). We switched to ZABBIX because:
  • ZABBIX is a 'all-in-on' monitoring solution
  • ZABBIX is 'true open source'
  • ZABBIX is 'Commercial/Professional' supported
  • ZABBIX has a 'centralized' approach. All things are done using the ZABBIX GUI

Its depends, if the customer environment is complex, the initial setup will be same. Here (at Unirede) the initial setups are always straightforward because we already have good expertise with ZABBIX and infrastructure areas.

Implementation Team

In-house team.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Our setup was done with a in-house team and the costs are a 'ZABBIX Certified Specialist' to take care. But we are a ZABBIX Premium Partner and our customers choose ZABBIX (instead other commercial softwares) mainly because a ZABBIX deployment is not too expensive ;)

Other Solutions Considered

Of course. We need to check other oprions all the time. Some software we evaluated: Nagios, Zenoos, HypericHQ, PandoraFMS, BigBrother/Quest.

Other Advice

People need do a POC (Prove of Concept) to check if ZABBIX will fit in their needs. We also have a lot of blogs talking about 'Monitoring Solutions' and a lot of 'comparisons', but I think the best way to start is to choose to work with a ZABBIX Partner around the world and talk about your needs.
3 visitors found this review helpful