Camunda Platform Overview

Camunda Platform is the #1 ranked solution in our list of Business Process Design tools. It is most often compared to Apache Airflow: Camunda Platform vs Apache Airflow

What is Camunda Platform?

Reinventing Process Automation for the Digital Enterprise

Our process automation platform enables tens of thousands of developers to design, automate and improve processes and provide better customer experiences, deliver projects faster and increase business agility.

A complete process automation tech stack with powerful execution engines for BPMN workflows and DMN decisions paired with essential applications for modeling, operations and analytics

Camunda Platform is also known as Camunda BPM.

Camunda Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Camunda Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Camunda Platform Customers

AT&T Inc., Allianz Indonesia, Deutsche WertpapierService Bank AG, CSS Insurance, Provinzial NordWest Insurance Services, VHV Group, freenet Group, Swisscom AG, Zalando SE, Accruent

Camunda Platform Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Camunda Platform pricing:
  • "The cost of this solution is better than some competing products."
  • "The open-source version of the product is free to use."
  • "There is an open-source version available, that in its core features (workflow and decision engine, modeler) is exactly the same as in the enterprise version."
  • "I think Camunda BPM can improve their licensing costs. It isn't easy to find clients with Camunda BPM licenses mainly because it's quite expensive."
  • "Camunda is much cheaper."

Abdurrahman Gori
Technical Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 6, 2020
Component reusability saves us development time, but the learning curve is too steep

What is our primary use case?

We use Camunda for the automation of the workflow and business process designer. We use the module cockpit and the workflow engine to orchestrate the process. We are a consulting company and we're not doing this for internal purposes. We mostly do this for projects, and these projects are for our clients. The environment where we work is very dynamic and is changing a lot. So based on the circumstances, we mostly work on the delivery parts, as in project deliveries. At the beginning of the year, we have a clear scope, clear targets, but down the road, we face a lot of challenges where we face… more »

• "The best feature is the automation."
  • "The only drawback is the time that it takes to have a complete set of workflows implemented on the Camunda platform."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Camunda BPM is that they implementing a PoC first. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
SS
reviewer1396116
Digital Engineering Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Aug 7, 2020
This flexible, open-source, Java-based solution allows us to integrate microservices quickly

What is our primary use case?

We use an open-source version of this product. In some cases we install on-premises, in some cases, we install on Dockers. How we install the product depends on the use cases and the needs of the projects that we engage in. One client may be in logistics. Another client may be involved with internal communication. Another one is in retail. Some will be in business project management. We have to treat each of these to fit their unique needs.

• "Being able to use a Java-based solution makes the product flexible."
  • "The solution could use some enhancements like adding connectors, improving forms and having a mobile app, but everything is an enhancement rather than a flaw."

What other advice do I have?

My advice about Camunda is I recommend this product when it fits your needs. It is that simple. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a nine because it fits my demands. Of course, there is always room for improvement in the interface, or performance, and stuff like that. I hope that people will work on Camunda and within the next releases we will have more connectors, we will have a much more powerful interface, and maybe we can have a mobile app as well.
Learn what your peers think about Camunda Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,892 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SjefVan Leeuwen
Senior Software Engineer at a non-profit with 201-500 employees
Jan 20, 2021
A good open-source solution with a robust user community

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is for fast prototyping innovatie processes within the social domain of the government.

• "The number of client implementations and cross-language capabilities to support multiple frameworks is very pluggable compared to Pega. It's also more portable."
  • "The user interface needs improvement. It should be more tailored to the end-user and offer a better user experience design over the user interface itself."

What other advice do I have?

We use the free version, the open-source version, but there is an Enterprise option. And the Enterprise version has heat maps so you can easily optimize complex processes on performance. You can easily see the hot spots that need to be scaled in a different manner in terms of hardware or improving your process flow. I would definitely recommend the solution to anyone. At least for the short-term. They are currently shifting towards their new product, Zeebe. We are actually currently using it already in smaller labs on smaller projects, such as modelling process flow's and micro service…
MM
MohammadrezaMakhan
R&D Junior
Oct 8, 2019
The technical support response was fast, but our problem hasn't been solved yet

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for invoices, receipts and purchase orders. There is no specific line of business but we basically use it for some main processes that we want to be automated.

• "The solution is easily compatible with HTML forms and HTML language programming and that is the most significant part."
  • "I would also like a very easy to use form builder."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to know their own abilities, their own resources. Are they comfortable with a lot of programming even for a simple form? Do they have enough programming provided in their resources? If they are not comfortable with that, it can take a little longer for them to adapt to Camunda. But if they have good developers, programmers, HTML, CSS and so on, they won't have a problem. I can also say the documentation is good and they have a live, technical forum where you can ask questions and get a fast response. I am not sure if it is available in all BPM packages, though. On…
Piotr Mazur
Digital Transformation Solution Manager at Altkom Software & Consutling
Mar 6, 2021
Flexible API integration, multiple database support, and cost-effective

What is our primary use case?

We have integrated Camunda workflow and decision engine into our solution that enables management and digital sales of products – Digital Product Center. We use mainly Camunda Modeler and Camunda Cockpit. For some implementations, we also used Camunda Tasklist. Camunda is used to model and orchestrate processes. We have developed a module where for selected process steps, the user can build forms that will be used to present or gather data by the end-user. Another module is responsible for defining the products, with business parameters, that an end-user will be able to buy on the platform… more »

• "The Camunda BPMN Platform is very flexible and gives several options to deploy and scale it."
  • "In the future, I would definitely like to see the process administration (migration, audit, tracking) and process evaluation (optimize) features added to the community edition."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the community edition so it is hard to ask for extra features ;-) I fully understand that if we still want to benefit from the open-source version, there has to be a paid premium version, so that the product can be further developed.
Oscar Mejia
IT-Services Manager & Solution Architect at Stratis
Dec 23, 2020
A flexible solution that allows you to have a BPM bot with your own UI

What is our primary use case?

We had a client who wanted to use a BPM to track user subscriptions on their website. They had 20 steps from different areas and different people who wanted to join as new users of their services. We had to use Camunda BPM to track those services because they used to lose track of some clients in the past. They then had to spend more, add some more steps, and add new user subscriptions for months. The key here was always to track a new user and guarantee that they will get subscribed to their service in good time.

• "There's this graphic that tells you how many lines or how many tickets are in each step. In that way, you know where you stand. I find this feature very valuable."
  • "Documentation can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential Camunda BPM customers to be patient. Perhaps all the information isn't available in one click, but it's possible to implement Camunda BPM, and it's quite flexible. It's worth a try. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Camunda BPM an eight.
Mohamed Alshishani
Chief, Service Delivery at IGA
Jun 6, 2019
Enables us to document all of the processors and VPN and has many features

What is our primary use case?

We're planning and exploring moving to the Enterprise Edition. We find some functionality for the migration to be helpful for us. This is why we might move to the Enterprise Edition.

• "We are documenting all of the processors and VPN. Then we are sharing it with our business users."
  • "When you search for Camunda BPM resources or books on how to utilize Camunda BPM, it is lacking. When it comes to Alfresco, there are thousands of resources that can help you to utilize within AWS and its Group Services. I would like to see the usage of Camunda BPM on Amazon Web Services be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We're very strongly recommending Camunda BPM. It is good. It is easy. The community is good. There is a lot of support if you are stuck anywhere. You can Google it and find the answers. Many people are using Camunda BPM worldwide and finding the responses was easy. I would rate it an eight out of ten. The reason why I wouldn't rate it a 10/10 or higher is that there are some other features available within other tools that can improve the algorithms they are not aware of yet. Camunda BPM satisfies our requirements and we have been using it for a year.
TomasMikes
Senior Business Consultant at Trask solutions a.s.
Oct 7, 2019
Good automation and it is simple to build a business process

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for credit flow processes in the banking industry, like loan approval processes and so on. The solution offers good automation and it is pretty simple to build a business process. We've also tried integration with other robotics and it was feasible. Because we are partners, we currently use an enterprise edition. But sometimes we help our clients with community versions, so I have experience of both. These versions are very similar. The community version contains all the necessary features because there are only some applicable features in one of their… more »

• "When I compare it with other BPM tools, like IBM, it is great, open source, and free when you use the community version."
  • "I would like to have a feature for audit logging, audit logs and audit log management. And some history of use for the audit logs."

What other advice do I have?

I feel that there is always room for improvement, so I rate this solution a nine out of ten.
See 12 more Camunda Platform Reviews