Camunda Platform Overview

Camunda Platform is the #1 ranked solution in our list of Business Process Design tools. It is most often compared to Apache Airflow: Camunda Platform vs Apache Airflow

What is Camunda Platform?

Camunda Platform is a complete process automation tech stack with powerful execution engines for BPMN workflows and DMN decisions paired with essential applications for modeling, operations, and analytics.

With a clear vision to automate any process, anywhere, Camunda is reinventing process automation for the digital enterprise. Featuring a developer-friendly, open source approach, enterprises can use Camunda Platform to breakthrough technological, organizational, and infrastructure barriers, optimize their business processes, and drive their digital transformation initiatives forward.

Camunda Platform is also known as Camunda BPM.

Camunda Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Camunda Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Camunda Platform Customers

24 Hour Fitness, Accruent, Allianz Indonesia, AT&T Inc., Atlassian, CSS Insurance, Deutsche Telekom, Generali, Provinzial NordWest Insurance Services, Swisscom AG, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, VHV Group, Zalando

Camunda Platform Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Mohamed Alshishani
Chief, Service Delivery at IGA
Enables us to document all of the processors and VPN and has many features

What is our primary use case?

We're planning and exploring moving to the Enterprise Edition. We find some functionality for the migration to be helpful for us. This is why we might move to the Enterprise Edition.

• "We are documenting all of the processors and VPN. Then we are sharing it with our business users."
  • "When you search for Camunda BPM resources or books on how to utilize Camunda BPM, it is lacking. When it comes to Alfresco, there are thousands of resources that can help you to utilize within AWS and its Group Services. I would like to see the usage of Camunda BPM on Amazon Web Services be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We're very strongly recommending Camunda BPM. It is good. It is easy. The community is good. There is a lot of support if you are stuck anywhere. You can Google it and find the answers. Many people are using Camunda BPM worldwide and finding the responses was easy. I would rate it an eight out of ten. The reason why I wouldn't rate it a 10/10 or higher is that there are some other features available within other tools that can improve the algorithms they are not aware of yet. Camunda BPM satisfies our requirements and we have been using it for a year.
PC
Chief Operations Officer (COO) at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A flexible solution that is well suited for internal use, but security needs to be improved

• "For an internal project, this is a solution that you can install and have up and running quite quickly."
  • "The GUI needs to be improved, with more configuration options."

What other advice do I have?

For an internal project, this is a solution that you can install and have up and running quite quickly. As soon as you have a complex problem then you have limitations. The processing engine is fine and is not an issue. If I were rating this solution for internal use then I would give it a seven out of ten. On the other hand, if I were rating it for use by the public then I would rate it a three out of ten. With respect to security, there are a lot of question marks. Overall, I would rate this solution a five out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Camunda Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Andres Murillo
Innovation Director at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Helps us create prototypes and put them into production

What is our primary use case?

This solution enables the development team to quickly create prototypes and put them into production.

What needs improvement?

If Camunda could develop something that creates user forms that would be a great feature to have. They also need to improve the UI.

Less than one year.

It is extremely stable.

It is very scalable and it scales horizontally. You can basically automate every single process in the company.

We have not used tech support yet.

We did not use a prior solution to this…
it_user758088
Associate Director (Technology) at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
BPMN 2.0 compliant, and the fact it's open source enables us to modify functionality, add features

• "We have the ability to modify the product if we need to, and that comes in handy whenever we need to add new functionality and features."
  • "Like all BPM tools, they're very bad with proprietary UIs. In general, anyone who uses BPM tools should not expect to use their proprietary UI."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, if you're considering Camunda, you must know how to code Java. If you go on YouTube and type "Camunda", or "intro video for Camunda", the Camunda people will tell you, "You need Java developers." When you go open source, you start to make the product a little more complex to use because they don't have as many wizards, whereas, some people will get away with only knowing scripting. They were able to use ActiveVOS because they've provided a bunch of wizards. You need Java developers to use Camunda properly. Overall, it's very flexible and nimble.
it_user758085
Java Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Tech stack could be up-to-date. ​It is easy to build a simple process without any knowledge of programming.

What is most valuable?

It is quite easy to build a simple process without any knowledge of programming. On the other hand, if you want to customize the platform and processes to your specific use case, you also have the possibility to do that.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave us an opportunity to optimize our current flows by migrating them to the Camunda platform.

What needs improvement?

Customization and tech stack could be up-to-date.

I have used this solution for approximately three years.

None.

It is possible to adjust all the aspects of this platform, if you know what you are doing.
Rodrigo Carlstrom
BPM Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Provides the flexibility of a BPMS through BPMN and DMN

• "The flexibility characteristic in a BPMS, through BPMN and DMN, is undoubtedly the most interesting feature for our business."
  • "I think it would be important to internationalize the Cockpit and the Admin as well as with the Tasklist."
Vice President, Co-founder of Brazilian Chapter at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Some of the valuable features include lightweight architecture and coverage of BPMN, CMMN, and DMN standards.

What other advice do I have?

Compare this tool with BPM and Drools.