Control-M Overview

Control-M is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Workload Automation tools. It is most often compared to AutoSys Workload Automation: Control-M vs AutoSys Workload Automation

What is Control-M?

Control‑M is a digital enterprise management solution that simplifies and automates diverse batch application workloads while reducing failure rates, improving SLAs, and accelerating application deployment.

Automate job scheduling and application deployment

• Connect applications and workflow processes to quickly and reliably deliver business services
  • Realize the potential of big data while freeing IT for other tasks
  • Take control of your file transfer operations with secure scheduling, instant status visibility, and automated recovery
  • Accelerate application change and deployment cycle times with automated application workflow between test and production
  • Empower users to make decisions in real time and perform basic tasks in a view and language they understand
  • Deploy Control-M on-premises or on the cloud

Control-M is also known as Control M.

Control-M Buyer's Guide

Download the Control-M Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Control-M Customers

CARFAX, ChipRewards, Sun Chemical, University of California, Unum

Control-M Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Control-M pricing:
  • "We have account based licensing. There are two or three types of licensing. One of them is based on the number of jobs, so we a license close to 4,000 jobs per day. The cost is based on the different modules, which we buy from them. If we a buy a hardware module, which we are presently using and integrating, that is an additional cost, but I'm not sure of the amount. Each module comes with a different cost."
  • "We have a five-year contract with task-based licensing."
  • "This product saves hours in a day based on my experience working here versus other companies with manually operations."
  • "It works on task-based licensing."
  • "Pricing can be steep, but you get what you pay for."
  • "As we increase the number of tasks or jobs on the system, there are concerns about cost."

Control-M Reviews

ANIRUDHRAMESH
Production Engineer at Alphaserve Technologies®
Top 20Popular
May 16, 2019
File transfer module is quite advanced, this version has less need for written programs and is more GUI-based

What is our primary use case?

We have used Control-M mostly as a file transfer and in conjunction with Hadoop.

• "The feature we use most in Control-M is related to the file transfer module. It is quite advanced compared to the other tools like Automate, etc. The new version which has come of same MFT has a lot of advanced features which makes it very easy to work with. There is less need for written programs and more GUI-based stuff."
  • "One feature I would like to include is in the middle of the monitoring domain. In the monitoring domain, if I have to update a number of jobs, the only way to do it is by manually clicking on each job. I would like a feature that allows me to do a mass update in the jobs, which I feel is still lacking."

What other advice do I have?

For those who want to implement, there are a few cons. Cost-wise it is not very simple for every business to implement it. So they should really plan if they are going to use it extensively. If not, they should think twice about it. If they are thinking of implementing, though, they should analyze the business and check which controller modules will really help them enhance their work and ultimately transform their work into an automated solution, which in turn will reduce their cost. I would really suggest someone who is planning to use Control-M or wants to deploy is first to check which…
SystemAd1832
System Admin and Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 23, 2019
The product provides visibility into the work that gets done

What is our primary use case?

It automates operations for all parts of the company. There isn't a part of the company that doesn't have jobs scheduled for Control-M.

• "Monitoring is a valuable aspect of it. The monitoring tool is very good, and it is easy for expert and entry level users to use on a short notice."
  • "The reporting tool still needs a lot of improvement. It was supposed to get better with the upgrade, and it really didn't get better. It needs help, because it's such a useful thing to have. It needs to be more powerful and easier to use."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it for the scalability and dependability. The software is constantly being improved and new add-ons are being created. It is a robust tool that's stable. It is well-supported, especially compared to a lot of other options out there. We have had massive growth in the last year to two because of company acquisitions. We have added a lot of big data aspect processing and a lot of other processing. It has handled this quite well. We are just starting to go into a bit of the DevOps, Workload Change Manager, and Helix Chatbox. Even though we don't chose to use their wide scope of…
Learn what your peers think about Control-M. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
controlm6ba7
Control-M Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 24, 2019
It is always running and never breaking

What is our primary use case?

We use it to schedule nightly batch jobs. We also have jobs that run during the day on a cyclic basis to provide up-to-date, real-time information for the company. I'm also pretty much focused on keeping things going. I'm the only scheduler at the company. We have about 4000 jobs in the daily schedule with around 42,000 iterations of jobs.

• "It can do anything that I need. We do real-time jobs. We also do jobs that have to run at certain times. I have not been presented with a scheduling need that I was not able to do. It is very flexible and dynamic."
  • "I'm not sure how the solution fits together with our business modernization initiatives, as there are things outside of my area, even though Control-M is the scheduling tool of the company. They may use other things, e.g., Big Data."

What other advice do I have?

Do your due diligence. Look around at what is out there. However, I would 100 percent be behind Control-M. It's a great company. Their support is good. The product is great. It's a good investment. It will keep growing and cover any needs that we have. This product can do everything I need and can help me do anything I need to do to schedule for real time information, supplying things, and batch jobs at night. We are automating more things. I sometimes hear an application team say, "We are running this manually, and we want to make it automated." I will make a few jobs to save them from doing…
Jim Perrone
E-Business Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 13, 2019
It has made us more efficient by reducing the manpower needed for processing between systems

What is our primary use case?

We use it to handle most of our batch processing and all of the transactions that we do on a daily basis. It's a large financial institution which handles quite a bit of processing on an individual basis, and we both mainframe and distribute it.

• "Control-M has improved application reliability and the SLAs in our company by quite a bit. You can see if problems are coming. If we have an SLA in a couple of hours, we know well before that couple hours if processing is behind, and it allows us to take some preventative action."
  • "It has absolutely saved us time. It has made us more efficient. As far as the processing between systems, we don't have as many people. They have been able to focus on other efforts, because we have been able to automate more stuff with Control-M."
  • "Sometimes, with technical support, they will take feedback, but you don't know where that feedback goes or if it proceeds along in the thought process."

What other advice do I have?

Do the trial demo. Reach out to others via the BMC community forums. I don't believe a license is required. It's just a sign on. There are multiple vendors who are resellers or BMC partners who will provide you with input. All you have to do is ask. Feel free to ask others. The people who I have dealt with have always been forthcoming with information. They will tell you what they see as a plus or minus. It has helped us streamline some things in IT operations, which is probably a slight improvement. We haven't seen any negative impacts. I've used it in different forms and versions for about…
Bhanu Prakash Badiginchala
Application Automation Deveoper at iPSL
Aug 22, 2019
Easy to use, integrates well, and provides visibility that is invaluable

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for enterprise workload automation in the financial industry. We schedule and monitor hundreds of business-critical processes. We also leverage the Managed File Transfer capabilities of Control-M to handle our file transfers securely & efficiently. Most of our tasks also deal with databases, and Control-M's purpose-built module for the databases comes in very handy when handling database components. It adds value with its capability to execute tasks natively and bring more information to the output. The BIM feature is used to monitor the important set of jobs as a service… more »

• "Most of our tasks also deal with databases, and Control-M's purpose-built module for the databases comes in very handy when handling database components."
  • "A developer sandbox could be very helpful to try out new features or experience them."

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution, and my advice is to go for it :)
Paul Wayland
VP Control-M Scheduling at Northern Trust
Jul 8, 2019
Centralizes hundreds of applications, and their notifications, into one place

• "The monitoring tool is very good. It's very easy for expert and entry-level users to use on short notice."
  • "I would like not to have to reach out to a third-party application company to do automated notifications. Right now, we still have people manually calling people and emailing people. There's a company called xMatters - and there are others - that has an API through Control-M that can automate any aspect of failure management. I'd like to see it build right into the product. I'd like to see a better notification product."

What other advice do I have?

You have to talk about it more in terms of how Control-M fits into the scale of other products which BMC offers for what you're doing. It's got Helix, cloud management, ITSM, etc. BMC offers the whole scale - everything. We don't choose to use it all. But from another prospective, it's a real positive that they have this scope, that they can handle everything a corporation could throw at it. I would like to see us use more things such as Helix. From that perspective, I would recommend it because of all the product offerings and because a lot of the approved vendors, which work directly through…
Robert-Stinnett
Automation Analyst at CARFAX
Jan 21, 2020
Increases efficiency, helps maintain compliance, and the Automation API is very helpful

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for automating workloads across traditional data centers, the cloud, SaaS offerings, and various other Enterprise software packages. It is allowing developers and product owners to create complex workflows that may encompass several different products or technologies and have it all visible, monitored, and managed from one place.

• "The Automation API has opened up a world of possibilities for us, including the ability to create workflows on-demand using traditional DevOps tools."
  • "The next major release needs to focus on the lightweight web client."

What other advice do I have?

You can try it without buying it. I would suggest checking out the workbench at: https://jobsascode.io This is a free version of the Control-M package that is perfect to take for a spin.
ManagerD502d
Manager Digital Solutions at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Jun 15, 2019
It creates an audit trail for jobs that we run off of it

What is our primary use case?

We do scheduling of tasks and jobs in Control-M. The company has had the product for over 25 years.

• "Because it's a tool which allows us to do scheduled work, it allows for notifications when jobs aren't running within that scheduled time frame. This improves the opportunity to meet SLAs."
  • "The company has been working with BMC on the MFT. There are still some things about MFT which don't work the way that we want with our needs. So, we would like to see that improved."

What other advice do I have?

Because we have been so pleased with this product, I would encourage others to look into this product with a view on what are their needs. Ask the right questions of either their sales rep or technical person from BMC to understand how this tool would work successfully for them, because it's been so successful for us. Because we've had it for so long, and it's been such a stable product, some of our folks on the distributed side of things need to learn how to use Control-M effectively in regards to output when tasks or jobs fail. They need to give us smarter outputs, so we can resolve things…
See 9 more Control-M Reviews
Product Categories
Workload Automation
Download our free Control-M Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.